2012-11-08 08:56:54

by Akira Nonaka

Subject: "mac80211.ko" and "cfg80211.ko" compatibility issue.

Hi all,

I have a problem with the compat-wireless. It seems "mac80211.ko" and
"cfg80211.ko" are not compatible with the ones in main line kernel. In
my case, it is kernel 3.4.9(Fedora 16).

I want to use compat-wireless version of "mac80211.ko" and
"cfg80211.ko" for Realtek rtl8723ae but for other wireless cards, I want
to use main line kernel version of "mac80211.ko" and "cfg80211.ko".

This switch should happen at the boot time since I need to support a lot
of PCs with the single kernel.

Can someone tell me where the "modprobe rtl8723ae (and for other PCI
devices)" get called when I run the kernel on the PC with rtl8723
wireless card? I searched the entire scripts under /etc but I could not
find.

What is the right thing to do? I appreciate your advise.

--
Akira Nonaka

2012-11-08 12:34:07

by Akira Nonaka

Hi Julian,

Well, We consider the option of using the entire compat-wireless drivers. However, we are planning the minor update of our product toward the end of the year and I thought it will be nice if I can keep the change minimum.

--
Nonaka Akira

On 2012/11/08, at 20:16, Julian Calaby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Akira Nonaka <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a problem with the compat-wireless. It seems "mac80211.ko" and
>> "cfg80211.ko" are not compatible with the ones in main line kernel. In
>> my case, it is kernel 3.4.9(Fedora 16).
>
> This is expected and pretty much by design.
>
>> I want to use compat-wireless version of "mac80211.ko" and
>> "cfg80211.ko" for Realtek rtl8723ae but for other wireless cards, I want
>> to use main line kernel version of "mac80211.ko" and "cfg80211.ko".
>
> Why? Are the drivers for these other cards not available in compat-wireless?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Julian Calaby
>
> Email: [email protected]
> Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
> .Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2012-11-08 15:59:52

by Larry Finger

On 11/08/2012 06:20 AM, Julian Calaby wrote:
> Hi Nonaka,
>
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Nonaka Akira <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> Well, We consider the option of using the entire compat-wireless drivers. However, we are planning the minor update of our product toward the end of the year and I thought it will be nice if I can keep the change minimum.
>
> In general, the drivers in compat-wireless are more stable and have
> more features than the versions in older kernels. (it is a back-port
> of newer wireless drivers after all)
>
> I would expect that you'll spend more time working out a solution to
> use it for a single driver than you'd spend testing it on the hardware
> you intend to support.

I agree. If you want to change only rtl8723ae, then you will need to backport it
to kernel 3.4.9 yourself. I have no idea how much work that would be, but I have
no interest in doing it.

Larry

2012-11-08 12:21:03

by Julian Calaby

Hi Nonaka,

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Nonaka Akira <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> Well, We consider the option of using the entire compat-wireless drivers. However, we are planning the minor update of our product toward the end of the year and I thought it will be nice if I can keep the change minimum.

In general, the drivers in compat-wireless are more stable and have
more features than the versions in older kernels. (it is a back-port
of newer wireless drivers after all)

I would expect that you'll spend more time working out a solution to
use it for a single driver than you'd spend testing it on the hardware
you intend to support.

Julian Calaby

Email: [email protected]
Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/julian.calaby/
.Plan: http://sites.google.com/site/juliancalaby/

2012-11-09 00:37:00

by Akira Nonaka

Julian, Larry

Thank you for your advise. I will consider taking your suggestion.

Akira

(2012/11/09 0:59), Larry Finger wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 06:20 AM, Julian Calaby wrote:
>> Hi Nonaka,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Nonaka Akira <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi Julian,
>>>
>>> Well, We consider the option of using the entire compat-wireless
>>> drivers. However, we are planning the minor update of our product
>>> toward the end of the year and I thought it will be nice if I can
>>> keep the change minimum.
>>
>> In general, the drivers in compat-wireless are more stable and have
>> more features than the versions in older kernels. (it is a back-port
>> of newer wireless drivers after all)
>>
>> I would expect that you'll spend more time working out a solution to
>> use it for a single driver than you'd spend testing it on the hardware
>> you intend to support.
>
> I agree. If you want to change only rtl8723ae, then you will need to
> backport it to kernel 3.4.9 yourself. I have no idea how much work that
> would be, but I have no interest in doing it.
>
> Larry

> linux-wireless" in

Akira Nonaka

2012-11-08 11:16:58