2012-11-08 20:09:34

by David Miller

Subject: essentially offline...

Once again I am without any real internet access both at home (Time
Warner major Manhattan outage since this morning) and at the office
(Verizon still largely out in Lower Manhattan).

So I'm not going to be resonsive until one of these two outages are
resolved. I cannot even call Time Warner customer support, I get "all
circuits are busy" so they're obviously getting bombed with calls.

Want to help? There are two ways:

1) Don't do anything that makes more overhead for me.

Don't ask about patch status, that's what the heck patchwork
is for. If you're patch isn't there and active and you think
it needs to bee considered seriously, REPOST it, DON'T ASK ME
about a patch I already moved out of my TODO list. That's more
work for me.

And, this should go without saying %100 of the time, DO NOT
send me private email. It is never appropriate, I don't care
what excuse you come up with. Just simply don't do it.

2) Don't be a jackass and avoid reviewing patches that you can
actually provide feedback on.

That is what makes my backlog something that is actually
manageable, when everyone else dutifully reviews patches that get
posted so that I have something to immediately work against when I
get to reviewing that patch myself.

One great example is the gianfar patch posted the other day.
Nobody is going to review that and I know absolutely nothing
about gianfar hardware, whether that is the correct fix, etc.
So it'll either just rot there, or I'll have to guess if it's
correct.

But this is exactly what breaks down my productivity, when
people who are knowledgable don't review patches like that one.

Thanks.

2012-11-08 20:56:46

by Jan Ceuleers

Subject: Re: essentially offline...

On 11/08/2012 09:09 PM, David Miller wrote:
> 2) Don't be a jackass and avoid reviewing patches that you can
> actually provide feedback on.

David,

Nobody around here is intentionally being a jackass. Your use of the
word is offensive.

New York does that to people. I know: my wife used to live there for 6
years. She got a lot more sociable afterwards. The forces of nature
currently at work seem to be exacerbating this situation.

My recommendation (not related to any storms): get out of New York. It's
an exhilerating place to be, but it kills the soul.

Jan

2012-11-09 20:51:45

by Jan Ceuleers

On 11/08/2012 10:01 PM, David Miller wrote:
> I used the work jackass just as frequently before I lived part time
> in New York. Try again...

Well then it seems you were born that way. Still doesn't make it acceptable.

2012-11-09 22:58:23

by Hannes Frederic Sowa

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 03:09:30PM -0500, David Miller wrote:
> Don't ask about patch status, that's what the heck patchwork
> is for. If you're patch isn't there and active and you think
> it needs to bee considered seriously, REPOST it, DON'T ASK ME
> about a patch I already moved out of my TODO list. That's more
> work for me.

Actually, thanks for using patchwork and providing timely feedback on nearly
every patch which gets posted here!

2012-11-08 21:01:54

by David Miller

From: Jan Ceuleers <[email protected]>