2015-03-18 21:15:53

by Orozco

Subject: fast wireless restart on raspberry pi

Hello,

I am working on a project where I need to be able to modify a wireless
adapter's firmware. I'm trying to use the TP-LINK TL-WN821N with the
8192cu driver and firmware on a Raspberry Pi 2. I am trying to be able to
quickly stop the transmission of packets then and just as quickly be able
to restart the transmission. Ideally, I would be able to do a single
stop/start in less time than it takes to transmit a packet.

I would be very thankful if someone could tell me where would be a good
place to start, and share any knowledge they have.

-Felipe

2015-03-18 22:20:04

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: fast wireless restart on raspberry pi

On 03/18/2015 04:15 PM, Orozco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project where I need to be able to modify a wireless
> adapter's firmware. I'm trying to use the TP-LINK TL-WN821N with the
> 8192cu driver and firmware on a Raspberry Pi 2. I am trying to be able to
> quickly stop the transmission of packets then and just as quickly be able
> to restart the transmission. Ideally, I would be able to do a single
> stop/start in less time than it takes to transmit a packet.
>
> I would be very thankful if someone could tell me where would be a good
> place to start, and share any knowledge they have.

The firmware for the RTL8192CU is definitely not open source, and there is no
documentation for the hardware. Modifying this firmware would be very difficult.

Larry

2015-03-18 21:18:02

by Ben Greear

On 03/18/2015 02:15 PM, Orozco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project where I need to be able to modify a wireless
> adapter's firmware. I'm trying to use the TP-LINK TL-WN821N with the
> 8192cu driver and firmware on a Raspberry Pi 2. I am trying to be able to
> quickly stop the transmission of packets then and just as quickly be able
> to restart the transmission. Ideally, I would be able to do a single
> stop/start in less time than it takes to transmit a packet.
>
> I would be very thankful if someone could tell me where would be a good
> place to start, and share any knowledge they have.

The only firmware I am aware of that is open-source is 'ath9k_htc'.

Not a simple piece of software, but at least you have the source...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>