2013-07-09 10:50:56

by Eric Valette

Subject: ralink 3290: still lots of misc errors reported by Iwconfig with 3.10 + HD streaming on WiFi fails

I just bought a HP netbook for my son equipped with this chipset. I
first tried linux 3.9.7, got WiFi working badly but working. Saw fix for
TX power in 3.9.9. WiFi became more reliable but still had a lot of TX,
and MISC errors reported by iwconfig. While laptop is now usable for
internet browsing, trying to play HD tv via XBMC + tvheadend fails
miserably due to WiFi data rate and WiFi errors while other PC at home
do play without problems.

Saw the fix in 3.10 for TX errors and indeed the TX errors dropped to 0.
However, the MISC error count in turn rose (Downloading
linux-3.10.tar.xz on 3.10 reports 550 misc errors). So there is still
some problem with this chipset. I know support is experimental but I
would be glad to test any patchif possible on 3.9.x as on 3.10 I have no
ATI driver available at the moment and thus HD decoding is out of reach
anyway.

Using ralink proprietary driver on linux recent kernel and amd64 is a no
go(does not compile due to API change + lots of INT32/pointers
conversion)but may be the driver code could shed some light for people
with adequate knowledge...

Please CC me I'm not subscribed

-- eric

2013-07-10 11:29:13

by Stanislaw Gruszka

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 05:00:45PM +0200, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 04:35 PM, Eric Valette wrote:
>
> >>Do you mean that 3.10 perform better than 3.9.9 ? I do not see any
> >>rt2x00 fixes between 3.9 and 3.10 that are not yet applied on 3.9.9.
> >>I can see only some cleanups and new hardware support patches.
> >
> > From memory I think I had a lot of reported TX error with 3.9.9 and
> >they are now gone with 3.10 but the number of misc error reported by
> >iwconfig is still high with 3.10. But you are right the fix for TX is
> >still in wireless git and does not seem to be in 3.10. As I checked
> >several git trees I mist have been confused...
>
> Unless I'm really tired, this patch is in 3.10 and not in 3.9.9 :
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git/patch/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00?id=8857d6dc77e4e3afeee2f33c49597010130ed858

You have right, I missed that one. It's on 3.10 but not on 3.9. We could
post it to 3.9 -stable, but since 3.10 is now realised, 3.9 will become
end of life probably.

Stanislaw

2013-07-11 06:31:47

by Eric Valette

On 10/07/2013 13:31, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:

>>> From memory I think I had a lot of reported TX error with 3.9.9 and
>>> they are now gone with 3.10 but the number of misc error reported by
>>> iwconfig is still high with 3.10. But you are right the fix for TX is
>>> still in wireless git and does not seem to be in 3.10. As I checked
>>> several git trees I mist have been confused...
>>
>> Unless I'm really tired, this patch is in 3.10 and not in 3.9.9 :
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git/patch/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00?id=8857d6dc77e4e3afeee2f33c49597010130ed858
>
> You have right, I missed that one. It's on 3.10 but not on 3.9. We could
> post it to 3.9 -stable, but since 3.10 is now realised, 3.9 will become
> end of life probably.

Usually there is a small overlap at least until .1 or .2. For me it
fixes reported TX errors but cannot test if it also fixes link
quality/throughput due to lack of AMD/ati drivers.

Thanks again for your time.

--eric

2013-07-09 15:00:47

by Eric Valette

On 07/09/2013 04:35 PM, Eric Valette wrote:

>> Do you mean that 3.10 perform better than 3.9.9 ? I do not see any
>> rt2x00 fixes between 3.9 and 3.10 that are not yet applied on 3.9.9.
>> I can see only some cleanups and new hardware support patches.
>
> From memory I think I had a lot of reported TX error with 3.9.9 and
> they are now gone with 3.10 but the number of misc error reported by
> iwconfig is still high with 3.10. But you are right the fix for TX is
> still in wireless git and does not seem to be in 3.10. As I checked
> several git trees I mist have been confused...

Unless I'm really tired, this patch is in 3.10 and not in 3.9.9 :

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git/patch/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00?id=8857d6dc77e4e3afeee2f33c49597010130ed858

--eric

2013-07-09 14:35:14

by Eric Valette

On 07/09/2013 04:22 PM, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 12:50:52PM +0200, Eric Valette wrote:
>> I just bought a HP netbook for my son equipped with this chipset. I
>> first tried linux 3.9.7, got WiFi working badly but working. Saw fix
>> for TX power in 3.9.9. WiFi became more reliable but still had a lot
>> of TX, and MISC errors reported by iwconfig. While laptop is now
>> usable for internet browsing, trying to play HD tv via XBMC +
>> tvheadend fails miserably due to WiFi data rate and WiFi errors
>> while other PC at home do play without problems.
>>
>> Saw the fix in 3.10 for TX errors and indeed the TX errors dropped
>> to 0. However, the MISC error count in turn rose (Downloading
>> linux-3.10.tar.xz on 3.10 reports 550 misc errors). So there is
>> still some problem with this chipset. I know support is experimental
>> but I would be glad to test any patchif possible on 3.9.x as on 3.10
>> I have no ATI driver available at the moment and thus HD decoding is
>> out of reach anyway.
>
> Do you mean that 3.10 perform better than 3.9.9 ? I do not see any
> rt2x00 fixes between 3.9 and 3.10 that are not yet applied on 3.9.9.
> I can see only some cleanups and new hardware support patches.

From memory I think I had a lot of reported TX error with 3.9.9 and
they are now gone with 3.10 but the number of misc error reported by
iwconfig is still high with 3.10. But you are right the fix for TX is
still in wireless git and does not seem to be in 3.10. As I checked
several git trees I mist have been confused...

> Try to subscribe to rt2x00 mailing list,
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/mailman/listinfo/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
> we post new patches there, but currently we do not have any pending
> RT3290 fixes.

OK. Next radical solution is to open the laptop and change for another
half mini pcie card... Quite difficult to find one reliably even if
there are some available on ebay.

Thanks for taking the time to respond...

--eric

2013-07-09 14:19:18

by Stanislaw Gruszka