2013-07-27 14:31:53

by Tomas Pospisek

Subject: unable to unblock Bluetooth

Hello

I am not able to unblock Bluetooth:

# rfkill unblock all
# rfkill list 4
4: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no

The Bluetooth layer remains "Soft blocked".

My system looks like this:

- Linux: 3.11-rc1
- Userspace: Debian wheezy
- rfkill: 0.5
- HW: HP dv7 6130ez
- Bluetooth probably provided by:
# lspci
0d:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT5390
[802.11 b/g/n 1T1R G-band PCI Express Single Chip]

Kernel logs show no trace of a problem:

Bluetooth: Core ver 2.16
Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

I had to provide some firware in order for the Bluetooth device to show
up in rfkill. I copied those firmware blobs over from Debian's
"firmware-ralink" package. It must be one of these:

rt2661.bin
rtl_nic
rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw
rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
RTL8192SU
RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
rt2561.bin
rt2870.bin
rt2860.bin
rt73.bin
rt3070.bin
rtlwifi
rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU_B.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8192defw.bin
rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin
rt3071.bin
rt3090.bin
rt2561s.bin
RTL8192E
RTL8192E/main.img
RTL8192E/boot.img
RTL8192E/data.img

Additional possibly useful info:

# lsmod |grep blue
bluetooth 169854 10 bnep,rfcomm
rfkill 19242 6 cfg80211,hp_wmi,bluetooth
crc16 12343 2 ext4,bluetooth

What can I do to unblock the Bluetooth?

Thank you,
*t

2013-07-28 19:06:00

by Pat Erley

Subject: Re: unable to unblock Bluetooth

On 07/27/2013 09:45 AM, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am not able to unblock Bluetooth:
>
> # rfkill unblock all
> # rfkill list 4
> 4: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
> Soft blocked: yes
> Hard blocked: no
>
> The Bluetooth layer remains "Soft blocked".
>
> My system looks like this:
>
> - Linux: 3.11-rc1
> - Userspace: Debian wheezy
> - rfkill: 0.5
> - HW: HP dv7 6130ez
> - Bluetooth probably provided by:
> # lspci
> 0d:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT5390
> [802.11 b/g/n 1T1R G-band PCI Express Single Chip]
>
> Kernel logs show no trace of a problem:
>
> Bluetooth: Core ver 2.16
> Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
> Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
> Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
> Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
> Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
> Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
> Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
> Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
> Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
> Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
>
> I had to provide some firware in order for the Bluetooth device to show
> up in rfkill. I copied those firmware blobs over from Debian's
> "firmware-ralink" package. It must be one of these:
>
> rt2661.bin
> rtl_nic
> rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-1.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
> RTL8192SU
> RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
> rt2561.bin
> rt2870.bin
> rt2860.bin
> rt73.bin
> rt3070.bin
> rtlwifi
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU_B.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8192defw.bin
> rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin
> rt3071.bin
> rt3090.bin
> rt2561s.bin
> RTL8192E
> RTL8192E/main.img
> RTL8192E/boot.img
> RTL8192E/data.img
>
> Additional possibly useful info:
>
> # lsmod |grep blue
> bluetooth 169854 10 bnep,rfcomm
> rfkill 19242 6 cfg80211,hp_wmi,bluetooth
> crc16 12343 2 ext4,bluetooth
>
> What can I do to unblock the Bluetooth?
>
> Thank you,
> *t

lsusb might be useful here too. hp_wmi hooked into rfkill might mean
that hp-wmi is setting that soft block. Perhaps you have a keyboard
combo to unblock it?

Pat Erley

2013-07-28 21:01:43

by Tomas Pospisek

Am 28.07.2013 20:57, schrieb Pat Erley:
> [...]
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfw.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192cfwU_B.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8192defw.bin
>> rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin
>> rt3071.bin
>> rt3090.bin
>> rt2561s.bin
>> RTL8192E
>> RTL8192E/main.img
>> RTL8192E/boot.img
>> RTL8192E/data.img
>>
>> Additional possibly useful info:
>>
>> # lsmod |grep blue
>> bluetooth 169854 10 bnep,rfcomm
>> rfkill 19242 6 cfg80211,hp_wmi,bluetooth
>> crc16 12343 2 ext4,bluetooth
>>
>> What can I do to unblock the Bluetooth?
>
> lsusb might be useful here too. hp_wmi hooked into rfkill might mean
> that hp-wmi is setting that soft block. Perhaps you have a keyboard

Thanks Pat, there's only the "lighthouse" button, that I'm interpreting
as wifi on/off button. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any
"bluetooth" or related button.

As for:
# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 138a:0018 Validity Sensors, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 064e:e258 Suyin Corp.

"Validity Sensors" seems to be the fingerprint reader and "Suyin Corp."
seems to be the laptop camera.

I wrote Matthew Garrett the hp_wmi author, but haven heard back. I'm not
sure, maybe I shouldn't contact him directly or maybe he's just busy or
on holidays currently.

If anybody can point out to me what direction to take from here I'd be
very glad.

Thanks,
*t
*t