2013-09-06 15:13:16

by Larry Finger

Subject: Build warnings in b43 and b43legacy

Geert,

In http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1309.0/00918.html and earlier
postings of the build regressions in 3.11-rcX, I notice the following entries:

+ /scratch/kisskb/src/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.h: warning: 'packed'
attribute ignored for field of type 'union <anonymous>' [-Wattributes]: => 641:2
+ /scratch/kisskb/src/drivers/net/wireless/b43/xmit.h: warning: 'packed'
attribute ignored for field of type 'struct <anonymous>' [-Wattributes]: =>
64:3, 88:3, 290:3, 283:3, 77:3
+ /scratch/kisskb/src/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.h: warning:
'packed' attribute ignored for field of type 'union <anonymous>' [-Wattributes]:
=> 381:2

From the indicated source lines, and some research on the topic of packed
attributes of anonymous entities, I think I know what it would take to fix
these; however, I am reluctant to touch this code. Firstly, my compiler does not
show the warning, and secondly, blindly reworking those critical structures
could cause severe regressions.

What compiler version and options does it take to get these warnings to appear?

Thanks,

Larry

2013-09-06 15:19:08

by Geert Uytterhoeven

Subject: Re: Build warnings in b43 and b43legacy

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> In http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1309.0/00918.html and
> earlier postings of the build regressions in 3.11-rcX, I notice the
> following entries:
>
> + /scratch/kisskb/src/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.h: warning: 'packed'
> attribute ignored for field of type 'union <anonymous>' [-Wattributes]: =>
> 641:2
> + /scratch/kisskb/src/drivers/net/wireless/b43/xmit.h: warning: 'packed'
> attribute ignored for field of type 'struct <anonymous>' [-Wattributes]: =>
> 64:3, 88:3, 290:3, 283:3, 77:3
> + /scratch/kisskb/src/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.h: warning:
> 'packed' attribute ignored for field of type 'union <anonymous>'
> [-Wattributes]: => 381:2
>
> From the indicated source lines, and some research on the topic of packed
> attributes of anonymous entities, I think I know what it would take to fix
> these; however, I am reluctant to touch this code. Firstly, my compiler does
> not show the warning, and secondly, blindly reworking those critical
> structures could cause severe regressions.
>
> What compiler version and options does it take to get these warnings to
> appear?

All logs I analyze are from the linux-next build service at
http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/matrix/.

I think you can reproduce moft the warnings using the most recent toolchains at
https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds