2013-11-04 10:53:33

by Beeblebrox

Subject: orinoco (Lucent/Agere 9.48) unable to connect

I have an old laptop that has Wifi card as stated in subject. The card
can scan and show SSID's, but cannot connect in any circumstances,
including open/unencrypted broadcast.
System: i386-pIII, running ubuntu 13.04 (driver ver: 3.8.0-32-generic
Dmesg lines for orinoco:
Fİrmware determined as Lucent/Agere 6.14
Fİrmware determined as Lucent/Agere 9.48
Wep supported, 104-bit key, WPA-PSK supported

The log files don't give much info as to the connection error. What
method can I use to get full debug from the connection process, in
order to determine the origin of the problem (hardware, driver, etc)

Thanks and Regards.

2013-11-04 20:29:23

by Dan Williams

Subject: Re: orinoco (Lucent/Agere 9.48) unable to connect

On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 20:42 +0200, Beeblebrox wrote:
> > What kind of access point are you trying to connect to? These devices
> > only support 802.11b, so if the access point is newer and is using
> > 802.11n, there are some 11n configurations that simply don't support
> > connections from 11b clients.
> > Dan
>
> Hi Dan, thanks for your answer.
> The test A/P is a USR-5451-maxG with ddwrt as OS. A/P is on mixed mode
> (B+G), but after your mail I tried B-Only mode, which failed also.
> While observing the connection process, I got the feeling that the
> orinoco card (eth1) is unable to set an IP. I have tried static and
> dhclient, with same effect. Shortly after the connection process
> starts, the card status shows as connected, but does not finalize .
> Process then terminates (assuming because no IP is agreed on with AP).
>
> Please advise what other info/test I can try.

If you're able, can you use wireshark on another computer to capture the
802.11 frames exchanged between the orinico device and the AP?

Dan

2013-11-04 16:18:20

by Dan Williams

On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 12:53 +0200, Beeblebrox wrote:
> I have an old laptop that has Wifi card as stated in subject. The card
> can scan and show SSID's, but cannot connect in any circumstances,
> including open/unencrypted broadcast.
> System: i386-pIII, running ubuntu 13.04 (driver ver: 3.8.0-32-generic
> Dmesg lines for orinoco:
> Fİrmware determined as Lucent/Agere 6.14
> Fİrmware determined as Lucent/Agere 9.48
> Wep supported, 104-bit key, WPA-PSK supported
>
> The log files don't give much info as to the connection error. What
> method can I use to get full debug from the connection process, in
> order to determine the origin of the problem (hardware, driver, etc)

What kind of access point are you trying to connect to? These devices
only support 802.11b, so if the access point is newer and is using
802.11n, there are some 11n configurations that simply don't support
connections from 11b clients.

Dan

2013-11-04 18:42:48

by Beeblebrox

> What kind of access point are you trying to connect to? These devices
> only support 802.11b, so if the access point is newer and is using
> 802.11n, there are some 11n configurations that simply don't support
> connections from 11b clients.
> Dan

Hi Dan, thanks for your answer.
The test A/P is a USR-5451-maxG with ddwrt as OS. A/P is on mixed mode
(B+G), but after your mail I tried B-Only mode, which failed also.
While observing the connection process, I got the feeling that the
orinoco card (eth1) is unable to set an IP. I have tried static and
dhclient, with same effect. Shortly after the connection process
starts, the card status shows as connected, but does not finalize .
Process then terminates (assuming because no IP is agreed on with AP).

Please advise what other info/test I can try.
Regards.

2013-11-05 23:17:16

by Dave Kilroy

On 04/11/2013 20:29, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 20:42 +0200, Beeblebrox wrote:
>>> What kind of access point are you trying to connect to? These devices
>>> only support 802.11b, so if the access point is newer and is using
>>> 802.11n, there are some 11n configurations that simply don't support
>>> connections from 11b clients.
>>> Dan
>> Hi Dan, thanks for your answer.
>> The test A/P is a USR-5451-maxG with ddwrt as OS. A/P is on mixed mode
>> (B+G), but after your mail I tried B-Only mode, which failed also.
>> While observing the connection process, I got the feeling that the
>> orinoco card (eth1) is unable to set an IP. I have tried static and
>> dhclient, with same effect. Shortly after the connection process
>> starts, the card status shows as connected, but does not finalize .
>> Process then terminates (assuming because no IP is agreed on with AP).
>>
>> Please advise what other info/test I can try.
> If you're able, can you use wireshark on another computer to capture the
> 802.11 frames exchanged between the orinico device and the AP?

Check whether you're using wext or cfg80211. IIRC, you have to use wext.
If that's not working, the relevant bits of wpa_supplicant log (-ddd)
would be helpful.

Dave.