2013-11-21 13:41:29

by shankar swaminathan

Subject: [hostapd] configuring for a simple AP

Hi,

I am trying to make a linux PC up and running with hostapd to create a
simple Access Point.

I do not want authentication, encryption and DHCP -- have configured
station with static IP address.

if I start hostapd (not as a daemon) with the default hostapd.conf
file, and try connecting the client (fedora client), i see that the
wifi sybol does not appear, but the connection seems to have been
established.
However, if i open hostapd_cli, i keep getting a print like,
<client mac> CONNECTED
<client mac> DISCONNECTED.

Hence, i think the client keeps getting connected and disconnected.

I then tried using a smaller config file with nothing regarding beacon
interval etc...as shown below:

---
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=test
hw_mode=g
channel=1
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
---

The results were similar.

Could anyone, guide me or provide me a simple hostapd.conf file, that
will help me connect clients. I do not want authentication,
encryption, and DHCP -- will use static IP.

Thanks in advance.

-shankar

2013-11-22 17:16:55

by Pat Erley

Subject: Re: [hostapd] configuring for a simple AP

On 11/22/2013 01:13 AM, shankar swaminathan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it would be of great help if someone could throw some light regarding
> the hostapd issue that I have described in the below email.
>
> thanks and regards,
> -shankar
>

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM, shankar swaminathan <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to make a linux PC up and running with hostapd to create a
>> simple Access Point.
>>
>> I do not want authentication, encryption and DHCP -- have configured
>> station with static IP address.
>>
>> if I start hostapd (not as a daemon) with the default hostapd.conf
>> file, and try connecting the client (fedora client), i see that the
>> wifi sybol does not appear, but the connection seems to have been
>> established.
>> However, if i open hostapd_cli, i keep getting a print like,
>> <client mac> CONNECTED
>> <client mac> DISCONNECTED.
>>
>> Hence, i think the client keeps getting connected and disconnected.
>>
>> I then tried using a smaller config file with nothing regarding beacon
>> interval etc...as shown below:
>>
>> ---
>> interface=wlan0
>> driver=nl80211
>> ssid=test
>> hw_mode=g
>> channel=1
>> macaddr_acl=0
>> auth_algs=1
>> ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
>> ---
>>
>> The results were similar.
>>
>> Could anyone, guide me or provide me a simple hostapd.conf file, that
>> will help me connect clients. I do not want authentication,
>> encryption, and DHCP -- will use static IP.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -shankar

What device/driver are you using? What kind of client is connecting?
Is the client indicating it's been disconnected by the AP, or is the
client seeing that it's not getting an IP address and disconnecting of
its own choosing?

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd has a great
example of how to get an access point up and running.

for anyone to help, actual hostapd/client output(with little to no
editing) will be needed.

2013-11-22 07:13:58

by shankar swaminathan