2014-03-10 13:26:02

by Thierry Moreau

Subject: Scan completes with wext, not with nl80211 (wpa_supplicant, rtlwifi, 3.14.0-rc5)

Hi!

This is not a show stopper for me, but some of you may want to deprecate
the wireless extension kernel option.

I have a configuration where scanning and association attempt work fine
from wpa_supplicant when the wpa_priv utility is started with wext:wlan1
but not with nl80211:wlan1.

If I try the not-performing variant (nl80211), I need to remove and
install the wifi module (rtl8192ce) for the other one to perform OK.
From a fresh boot, this performing wext variant works fine the first time.

I have traces from wpa_priv, wpa_supplicant, and wpa_cli from either
options. Same configuration files for build time and run time.

Tried with various kernel options. A portion of the most recent kernel
config is attached.

If I can be of assistance for improving the Linux Wi-Fi support, let me
know.

- Thierry Moreau

Attachments:
scan_only_with_wext.log (3.45 kB)