2014-04-02 21:26:50

by Shu, Nick

Subject: iw scan command failed

Hi, All:
Got an issue when using "iw" to configure my WIFI card.
Issued a scan command and got a "command failed, operation not permitted"
Then changed to root as somebody suggested to do it again, it got worse and said network down. See below for screen capture:

spirent@coast198:~$ iw dev wlan0 scan
command failed: Operation not permitted (-1)
spirent@coast198:~$ su
Password:
root@coast198:/home/spirent# iw dev wlan0 scan
command failed: Network is down (-100)

System set up:
Running Ubuntu 13.10 server version, using a mini PCIe card with QCA9880 chip (ath10k driver should be in 3.11 kernel release).

Can somebody tell me what's wrong?

Thank you!

Nick Shu

E-mail confidentiality.
--------------------------------
This e-mail contains confidential and / or privileged information belonging to Spirent Communications plc, its affiliates and / or subsidiaries. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution and / or the taking of any action based upon reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly forbidden. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system.

Spirent Communications plc
Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.
Tel No. +44 (0) 1293 767676
Fax No. +44 (0) 1293 767677

Registered in England Number 470893
Registered at Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.

Or if within the US,

Spirent Communications,
26750 Agoura Road, Calabasas, CA, 91302, USA.
Tel No. 1-818-676- 2300

2014-04-03 08:17:40

by Matthias May

Subject: Re: iw scan command failed

Well exactly what it says: your interface is down ;)
Set it up with: ip link set wlan0 up

Regards
Matthias

On 02/04/14 23:26, Shu, Nick wrote:
> Hi, All:
> Got an issue when using "iw" to configure my WIFI card.
> Issued a scan command and got a "command failed, operation not permitted"
> Then changed to root as somebody suggested to do it again, it got worse and said network down. See below for screen capture:
>
> spirent@coast198:~$ iw dev wlan0 scan
> command failed: Operation not permitted (-1)
> spirent@coast198:~$ su
> Password:
> root@coast198:/home/spirent# iw dev wlan0 scan
> command failed: Network is down (-100)
>
> System set up:
> Running Ubuntu 13.10 server version, using a mini PCIe card with QCA9880 chip (ath10k driver should be in 3.11 kernel release).
>
> Can somebody tell me what's wrong?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Nick Shu
>

> E-mail confidentiality.
> --------------------------------
> This e-mail contains confidential and / or privileged information belonging to Spirent Communications plc, its affiliates and / or subsidiaries. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution and / or the taking of any action based upon reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly forbidden. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system.
>
> Spirent Communications plc
> Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.
> Tel No. +44 (0) 1293 767676
> Fax No. +44 (0) 1293 767677
>
> Registered in England Number 470893
> Registered at Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.
>
> Or if within the US,
>
> Spirent Communications,
> 26750 Agoura Road, Calabasas, CA, 91302, USA.
> Tel No. 1-818-676- 2300

Matthias May
Software Engineer

Neratec Solutions AG
Postfach 83, CH-8608 Bubikon, Switzerland
Direct: +41 55 253 2074
Office: +41 55 253 2000
Fax: +41 55 253 2070
email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.neratec.com

2014-04-03 13:38:30

by Shu, Nick

Yes, Matthias:
I figured it out later by doing:
ip link set wlan0 up
and it works.
Some people said to use "ifconfig wlan0 up" and it also work.
But it seems that I can do it without from root and it still works.

Thank you all for the help!
Nick