2014-04-04 16:14:09

by Xose Vazquez Perez

Subject: Re: Fwd: Submission of firmware for driver RSI

Fariya wrote:

> I would like to submit the RSI firmware to the linux-firmware git. Can
> anyone point me to the procedure for f/w submission? Can I submit the
> f/w onto this mailing list?

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/README
is your friend:

--cut--

Linux firmware
==============

<http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git>

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

This repository contains all these firmware images which have been
extracted from older drivers, as well various new firmware images which
we were never permitted to include in a GPL'd work, but which we _have_
been permitted to redistribute under separate cover.

To submit firmware to this repository, please send either a git binary
diff or preferably a git pull request to:
David Woodhouse <[email protected]>
Ben Hutchings <[email protected]>
and also cc: to related mailing lists.

Your commit should include an update to the WHENCE file clearly
identifying the licence under which the firmware is available, and
that it is redistributable. If the licence is long and involved, it's
permitted to include it in a separate file and refer to it from the
WHENCE file.
And if it were possible, a changelog of the firmware itself.

Ideally, your commit should contain a Signed-Off-By: from someone
authoritative on the licensing of the firmware in question (i.e. from
within the company that owns the code).

WARNING:
=======

Don't send any "CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT" in your e-mail, patch or
request. Otherwise your firmware _will never be accepted_.

Maintainers are really busy, so don't expect a prompt reply.
--theend--

2014-04-16 06:16:11

by Xose Vazquez Perez

On 04/16/2014 04:18 AM, Fariya wrote:

> I submitted the RSI 91x firmware [around 2 weeks back] for inclusion
> in the git linux-firmware repo to Ben Hutchings, as well as emailed it
> to the linux-wireless mailing list. However, I have so far not got any
> confirmation of it being included in the linux-firmware repo. Now that
> the RSI 91x driver is part of the latest kernel, I would of course
> want the firmware to be in, as well. Can someone suggest how do I go
> about this/know the status of this?

The README says:

>> Maintainers are really busy, so don't expect a prompt reply.

patience...

2014-04-16 02:18:48

by Fariya Fatima

Hi,

I submitted the RSI 91x firmware [around 2 weeks back] for inclusion
in the git linux-firmware repo to Ben Hutchings, as well as emailed it
to the linux-wireless mailing list. However, I have so far not got any
confirmation of it being included in the linux-firmware repo. Now that
the RSI 91x driver is part of the latest kernel, I would of course
want the firmware to be in, as well. Can someone suggest how do I go
about this/know the status of this?

Regards,
Fariya

--