2014-04-28 15:44:03

by Larry Finger

Subject: Kernel source

Tim,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I have been contacted on the linux-wireless ML by
Nicolas Vaqueroa, who is a 12.04 LTS user. His problem is that he gets a fatal
kernel oops when he enables wifi using driver rtl8192ce. The system is OK
through kernel 3.8.0-36, bu he has the problem for -37 and later. I reviewed the
changelog for -36 => -37 without seeing any modifications that could cause problems.

Is there a link to the 3.8.0-37 source? I could not find it on the Ubuntu web
pile. With it, I should be able to fix his problem as long as I can duplicate it.

Thanks,

Larry

2014-04-30 17:50:53

by Nicolas Vaquero

Subject: Re: Kernel source

If you want, I can reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 and update it to the lastest
Kernel version from Update Manager.
Teach me how to make a Bug Report and I'll send it to you.
(Sorry for my English, maybe your eyes are bleeding)

Nicolas

El 30/04/14 11:39, Larry Finger escribió:
> Sven and Tim,
>
> Attached is a one-line fix for the problem that shows up between
> 3.8.0-36 and 3.8.0-37. It is just a bare patch file, but feel free to
> add any explanatory text to make it a proper commit.
>
> I have no real understanding as to why this line of code does not
> cause any problems with later kernel versions, but it does here. In
> addition, I have not had any reports of problems with other users.
> That makes me suspect some kind of bad interaction with the user-space
> network control components in 12.04.
>
> Would it be helpful for Nicolas to prepare a bug report at Ubuntu?
>
> Larry

2014-04-30 13:38:01

by Tim Gardner

On 04/29/2014 09:43 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 04/29/2014 02:42 AM, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
>> On Monday 28 April 2014 10:44:01 Larry Finger wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Is there a link to the 3.8.0-37 source? I could not find it on the
>>> Ubuntu
>>> web pile. With it, I should be able to fix his problem as long as I can
>>> duplicate it.
>>
>> Which exact versions? 3.8.0-36.52~precise1 and 3.8.0-37.53~precise1?
>> There were
>> a lot of backports which you can find all here:
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-raring/+publishinghistory
>>
>> You can just click on the version number at the right to find the
>> *.tar.gz,
>> *.diff.gz and *.dsc.
>>
>> You can download and create a source directory using
>>
>> dget
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/linux-lts-raring/3.8.0-36.52~precise1/+files/linux-lts-raring_3.8.0-36.52~precise1.dsc
>>
>> or
>> dget
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/linux-lts-raring/3.8.0-37.53~precise1/+files/linux-lts-raring_3.8.0-37.53~precise1.dsc
>>

> Sven,
>
> Thanks for the info. I wanted version 3.8.0-37.53~precise1, but given
> that the code is available as the original source and the diff, I also
> grabbed the diff file for 3.8.0-36.52~precise1. My test kernel is
> building now.
>
> Larry

Larry - you can also get the source from our git repository:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git

You can get the most recent source for that version from the
lts-backport-raring branch, or use the tag Ubuntu-lts-3.8.0-37.53

Thanks for looking into this. Let me know if I can help.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [email protected]

2014-04-29 07:49:49

by Sven Eckelmann

On Monday 28 April 2014 10:44:01 Larry Finger wrote:
[...]
> Is there a link to the 3.8.0-37 source? I could not find it on the Ubuntu
> web pile. With it, I should be able to fix his problem as long as I can
> duplicate it.

Which exact versions? 3.8.0-36.52~precise1 and 3.8.0-37.53~precise1? There were
a lot of backports which you can find all here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-raring/+publishinghistory

You can just click on the version number at the right to find the *.tar.gz,
*.diff.gz and *.dsc.

You can download and create a source directory using

dget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/linux-lts-raring/3.8.0-36.52~precise1/+files/linux-lts-raring_3.8.0-36.52~precise1.dsc
or
dget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/linux-lts-raring/3.8.0-37.53~precise1/+files/linux-lts-raring_3.8.0-37.53~precise1.dsc

Kind regards,
Sven

2014-04-29 15:43:22

by Larry Finger

On 04/29/2014 02:42 AM, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2014 10:44:01 Larry Finger wrote:
> [...]
>> Is there a link to the 3.8.0-37 source? I could not find it on the Ubuntu
>> web pile. With it, I should be able to fix his problem as long as I can
>> duplicate it.
>
> Which exact versions? 3.8.0-36.52~precise1 and 3.8.0-37.53~precise1? There were
> a lot of backports which you can find all here:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-raring/+publishinghistory
>
> You can just click on the version number at the right to find the *.tar.gz,
> *.diff.gz and *.dsc.
>
> You can download and create a source directory using
>
> dget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/linux-lts-raring/3.8.0-36.52~precise1/+files/linux-lts-raring_3.8.0-36.52~precise1.dsc
> or
> dget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/linux-lts-raring/3.8.0-37.53~precise1/+files/linux-lts-raring_3.8.0-37.53~precise1.dsc

Sven,

Thanks for the info. I wanted version 3.8.0-37.53~precise1, but given that the
code is available as the original source and the diff, I also grabbed the diff
file for 3.8.0-36.52~precise1. My test kernel is building now.

Larry

2014-04-30 14:39:20

by Larry Finger

Sven and Tim,

Attached is a one-line fix for the problem that shows up between 3.8.0-36 and
3.8.0-37. It is just a bare patch file, but feel free to add any explanatory
text to make it a proper commit.

I have no real understanding as to why this line of code does not cause any
problems with later kernel versions, but it does here. In addition, I have not
had any reports of problems with other users. That makes me suspect some kind of
bad interaction with the user-space network control components in 12.04.

Would it be helpful for Nicolas to prepare a bug report at Ubuntu?

Larry

Attachments:
fix_ubuntu_crash (479.00 B)

2014-05-01 12:31:33

by Seth Forshee

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 02:50:46PM -0300, Nicolas Vaquero wrote:
> If you want, I can reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 and update it to the
> lastest Kernel version from Update Manager.
> Teach me how to make a Bug Report and I'll send it to you.
> (Sorry for my English, maybe your eyes are bleeding)

To file the bug report against the kernel in Ubuntu, open a terminal and
run 'ubuntu-bug linux'. This will guide you through the process of
filing the bug.

Thanks,
Seth

> Nicolas
>
> El 30/04/14 11:39, Larry Finger escribió:
> >Sven and Tim,
> >
> >Attached is a one-line fix for the problem that shows up between
> >3.8.0-36 and 3.8.0-37. It is just a bare patch file, but feel free
> >to add any explanatory text to make it a proper commit.
> >
> >I have no real understanding as to why this line of code does not
> >cause any problems with later kernel versions, but it does here.
> >In addition, I have not had any reports of problems with other
> >users. That makes me suspect some kind of bad interaction with the
> >user-space network control components in 12.04.
> >
> >Would it be helpful for Nicolas to prepare a bug report at Ubuntu?
> >
> >Larry

by Tim Gardner

On 05/01/2014 09:01 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 05/01/2014 08:08 AM, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> It looks like there is already a bug report in progress for this:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1289429
>>
>> I'll attach the patch and have Joe build a test kernel.
>
> Tim,
>
> I agree that #1289429 is this bug. It seems that the problem also
> happens for 3.5.0-48-generic. If that is being supported, it also needs
> this patch.
>
> Larry

Noted in the bug report. Thanks.

rtg