2014-08-13 10:02:55

by Roberto Riggio

Subject: About the TSFT field

Hi,

I'm planning to use the TSFT field present in the radiotap
header in order to reconstruct a timeline of packet
reception at different AP.

As far as I've understood the TSFT is generated from the MAC,
however I do not know to which instant the TSFT is relative,
the first bit of the MAC payload, the beginning of the PLCP,
etc.

Also I do not know from which reference the TSFT is generated,
I mean two AP synchronized using NTP will have consistent
TSFT, which kind of error should I expect?

R.

Roberto Riggio, Ph.D.
CREATE-NET
Future Networks (FuN)
Senior Researcher
Via alla Cascata 56/D - 38123 Povo Trento (Italy)
e-mail: [email protected]
Tel: (+39) 0461 408400 - interno/extension 1708
Fax: (+39) 0461 421157
http://www.create-net.org/~rriggio/

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited according to
the Italian Law 196/2003 of the Legislature. If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e nei
file allegati sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il loro
utilizzo e' consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per
le finalita' indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceveste questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla cancellazione del
messaggio stesso dal Vostro sistema. Trattenere il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo,
od utilizzarlo per finalita' diverse, costituisce comportamento
contrario ai principi dettati dal D. Lgs. 196/2003.

2014-08-13 10:05:15

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: About the TSFT field

On Wed, 2014-08-13 at 11:52 +0200, Roberto Riggio wrote:

> As far as I've understood the TSFT is generated from the MAC,
> however I do not know to which instant the TSFT is relative,
> the first bit of the MAC payload, the beginning of the PLCP,
> etc.

It's documented in the radiotap spec, but not all drivers are really
doing the right thing here.

> Also I do not know from which reference the TSFT is generated,
> I mean two AP synchronized using NTP will have consistent
> TSFT, which kind of error should I expect?

It's purely local time - no synchronisation happens.

johannes

2014-08-14 12:52:33

by Roberto Riggio

On 13/08/14 20:29, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-08-13 at 19:33 +0200, Roberto Riggio wrote:
> That behaviour is implemented, but it's not guaranteed that the TSF will
> be used for the radiotap timestamp field. In fact radiotap isn't really
> specified to be used while operating, so it seems to me that any
> free-running clock with the right frequency (TUs) would be acceptable.

Do you (or somebody else on this ML) happen to know if TSF is used for the
radiotap TS for the ath9k driver?

> In that sense, the only real use for the timestamp field (barring
> external information, like knowing what your driver does) would be for
> relative time inside a single capture file.

Like above, does anybody know if the ath9k driver synchronizes with other
devices in ad hoc mode in the network.

> johannes
r.

2014-08-13 18:29:11

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2014-08-13 at 19:33 +0200, Roberto Riggio wrote:

> > It's purely local time - no synchronisation happens.
>
> Meaning that is the system time. right?

No, it's wifi time. TSF in TUs. Whatever that means. It may or may not
even have a fixed reference, and it's not even guaranteed to sync with
the network.

> What if I create an adhoc
> interface together with the AP? According to the standard devices
> in IBSS shall synch with each other using the tsf info in the beacon
> frames. Is this behavior implemented by mac80211?

That behaviour is implemented, but it's not guaranteed that the TSF will
be used for the radiotap timestamp field. In fact radiotap isn't really
specified to be used while operating, so it seems to me that any
free-running clock with the right frequency (TUs) would be acceptable.

In that sense, the only real use for the timestamp field (barring
external information, like knowing what your driver does) would be for
relative time inside a single capture file.

johannes

2014-08-13 17:33:42

by Roberto Riggio

Inline...

On 13/08/14 12:05, Johannes Berg wrote:
> It's documented in the radiotap spec, but not all drivers are really
> doing the right thing here.

Found it. Thanks.

>> Also I do not know from which reference the TSFT is generated,
>> I mean two AP synchronized using NTP will have consistent
>> TSFT, which kind of error should I expect?
>
> It's purely local time - no synchronisation happens.

Meaning that is the system time. right? What if I create an adhoc
interface together with the AP? According to the standard devices
in IBSS shall synch with each other using the tsf info in the beacon
frames. Is this behavior implemented by mac80211?

Thanks
R.