2015-01-16 22:35:12

by Beat Meier

Subject: Cannot use ap and sta mode on same interface with ath9k and kernel 3.8.13 :-(

Hi

I'm using an WLM200NX card in master mode ath1 and want to do scanning
on the same interface.
I'm using ath9k on 3.8.13 kernel (voyage-linux)

So I setup an additional interface in sta mode with
iw phy phy1 interface add ath2 type managed
This works but the interface is not coming up.
I tried several things like
auto ath2
iface ath2 inet static
address 10.58.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
wireless-mode Managed
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.WPA-PSK

But wpa_spplicant comes with error:
wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return
code 1
RTNETLINK answers: Name not unique on network
Failed to bring up ath2.

I can setup monitor mode but I want to scan to see what other equipment
is on which channel ...

What's the problem? With ath9k I cannot use ap and sta mode together???

Thanks

Beat

2015-01-16 23:23:26

by Pat Erley

On 01/16/2015 04:29 PM, Beat Meier wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using an WLM200NX card in master mode ath1 and want to do scanning
> on the same interface.
> I'm using ath9k on 3.8.13 kernel (voyage-linux)
>
> So I setup an additional interface in sta mode with
> iw phy phy1 interface add ath2 type managed
> This works but the interface is not coming up.
> I tried several things like
> auto ath2
> iface ath2 inet static
> address 10.58.1.1
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> wireless-mode Managed
> wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.WPA-PSK
>
> But wpa_spplicant comes with error:
> wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return
> code 1
> RTNETLINK answers: Name not unique on network
> Failed to bring up ath2.
>
> I can setup monitor mode but I want to scan to see what other equipment
> is on which channel ...
>
> What's the problem? With ath9k I cannot use ap and sta mode together???

You need to assign a different mac address to the new interface.

[Resend, accidentally dropped mailing list]

2015-01-18 06:29:21

by Antonio Quartulli

On 17/01/15 00:43, Beat Meier wrote:
> On 01/16/2015 08:16 PM, Pat Erley wrote:
>> On 01/16/2015 04:29 PM, Beat Meier wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm using an WLM200NX card in master mode ath1 and want to do scanning
>>> on the same interface.
>>> I'm using ath9k on 3.8.13 kernel (voyage-linux)
>>>
>>> So I setup an additional interface in sta mode with
>>> iw phy phy1 interface add ath2 type managed
>>> This works but the interface is not coming up.
>>> I tried several things like
>>> auto ath2
>>> iface ath2 inet static
>>> address 10.58.1.1
>>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>>> wireless-mode Managed
>>> wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.WPA-PSK
>>>
>>> But wpa_spplicant comes with error:
>>> wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
>>> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return
>>> code 1
>>> RTNETLINK answers: Name not unique on network
>>> Failed to bring up ath2.
>>>
>>> I can setup monitor mode but I want to scan to see what other equipment
>>> is on which channel ...
>>>
>>> What's the problem? With ath9k I cannot use ap and sta mode together???
>>>

>> You need to assign a different mac address to the new interface.
>>
>> [Resend, accidentally dropped mailing list]
>>

> This solved the problem.
> Would be nice to add a comment in
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw/vif#station

By the way, you can scan also with a master interface. You just need to
pass the ap-force flag to the scan command.

Antonio Quartulli

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2015-01-16 23:43:40

by Beat Meier

On 01/16/2015 08:16 PM, Pat Erley wrote:
> On 01/16/2015 04:29 PM, Beat Meier wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm using an WLM200NX card in master mode ath1 and want to do scanning
>> on the same interface.
>> I'm using ath9k on 3.8.13 kernel (voyage-linux)
>>
>> So I setup an additional interface in sta mode with
>> iw phy phy1 interface add ath2 type managed
>> This works but the interface is not coming up.
>> I tried several things like
>> auto ath2
>> iface ath2 inet static
>> address 10.58.1.1
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> wireless-mode Managed
>> wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.WPA-PSK
>>
>> But wpa_spplicant comes with error:
>> wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
>> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return
>> code 1
>> RTNETLINK answers: Name not unique on network
>> Failed to bring up ath2.
>>
>> I can setup monitor mode but I want to scan to see what other equipment
>> is on which channel ...
>>
>> What's the problem? With ath9k I cannot use ap and sta mode together???
>>

> You need to assign a different mac address to the new interface.
>
> [Resend, accidentally dropped mailing list]

This solved the problem.
Would be nice to add a comment in
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw/vif#station

Thanks a lot