2014-02-10 19:20:47

by Johannes Berg

Subject: moving the wiki

Hi everyone,

There has been kernel.org infrastructure for wikis for a long time,
though IIRC it didn't exist back when we set up our current wiki.
However, it seems like a good idea to convert the wiki to the kernel.org
infrastructure. This has some obvious advantages (like https support)
and gets us better support for it, with hopefully less downtime.

As a consequence, we'll be doing the following:
* Mark the current wiki read-only, to guarantee a stable conversion.
This
shouldn't take all that long, but we'll have to see.
* I'll keep the read-only wiki at http://wireless.sipsolutions.net/ for
a while,
in case somebody needs history - you can also download page/history
snapshots.
* As we have a LOT of dead accounts, I've decided to NOT migrate them.
You'll
have to sign up again, but I couldn't convert notifications etc.
anyway, so
you'd have to touch those regardless.
* We'll also drop page history, converting that is a bit more difficult
and the
history isn't all that interesting for most pages.
* For now, I won't be converting the style/skin. If anybody has (or
knows
someone with) experience skinning mediawiki, help would be welcome.

Obviously, another consequence is that the wiki markup will change
somewhat. Moin and Mediawiki aren't too far from each other (except for
table syntax), but there are some things that are different that you'll
have to get used to when editing.

I think/hope that all this can happen over the next few days. If there
are any concerns (other than "don't do it") let me know.

Wish me luck ;-)

johannes

2015-01-29 20:10:52

by poma

Subject: Re: moving the wiki

On 10.02.2014 20:20, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There has been kernel.org infrastructure for wikis for a long time,
> though IIRC it didn't exist back when we set up our current wiki.
> However, it seems like a good idea to convert the wiki to the kernel.org
> infrastructure. This has some obvious advantages (like https support)
> and gets us better support for it, with hopefully less downtime.
>
> As a consequence, we'll be doing the following:
> * Mark the current wiki read-only, to guarantee a stable conversion.
> This
> shouldn't take all that long, but we'll have to see.
> * I'll keep the read-only wiki at http://wireless.sipsolutions.net/ for
> a while,
> in case somebody needs history - you can also download page/history
> snapshots.
> * As we have a LOT of dead accounts, I've decided to NOT migrate them.
> You'll
> have to sign up again, but I couldn't convert notifications etc.
> anyway, so
> you'd have to touch those regardless.
> * We'll also drop page history, converting that is a bit more difficult
> and the
> history isn't all that interesting for most pages.
> * For now, I won't be converting the style/skin. If anybody has (or
> knows
> someone with) experience skinning mediawiki, help would be welcome.
>
> Obviously, another consequence is that the wiki markup will change
> somewhat. Moin and Mediawiki aren't too far from each other (except for
> table syntax), but there are some things that are different that you'll
> have to get used to when editing.
>
> I think/hope that all this can happen over the next few days. If there
> are any concerns (other than "don't do it") let me know.
>
> Wish me luck ;-)
>
> johannes

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/devices
Supported devices
We try to maintain lists of supported hardware for each driver, so there's no combined information here.
TODO: add a list of driver device pages here? We no longer have a macro to collect it all into one big list as we used to have.
Looking for ...

If you do not have, WikiDevi has ;)

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page
State of the Database
5223 wireless adapters...

2015-01-30 08:17:43

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 09:11 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > > Again, dokuwiki - slightly different from moinmoin.
> >
> > Tables using colspans were not moved correctly, see e.g.:
> > https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/soc
> >
> > It displays "–colspan=3–Chip" in a table cell.
>
> I thought I fixed colspan/rowspan in my conversion, but I guess I didn't
> get that right...

Ah, two things - I left some debug thing (the --colspan=x--) and I
messed up when it's combined col/rowspan.

I'll see if I can fix it.

johannes

2015-01-30 06:15:50

by Rafał Miłecki

--
Rafał

2015-01-29 20:03:22

by Johannes Berg

On Thu, 2015-01-29 at 20:23 +0100, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 01/29/15 15:58, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > It's almost been a year, but this finally happened...
> >
> > The new wiki is at https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/ but the old URL
> > (http://wireless.kernel.org/) will continue to work and redirect to the
> > new one. Note that right now you need a Linux Foundation identity to be
> > able to edit.
>
> I tried to edit the table of drivers and noticed that page is somewhat
> garbled at the end. Anyway, for some drivers it lists phy mode as
> "A(1)/B/G/N". Now the (1) probably is meant to refer to some footnote
> but it is gone. Maybe deliberate (see below)?

No, the pages that are actually there were properly licensed. I removed
the complete content of a few pages, and edited out a few things, but if
there's something incomplete like that it's because of the markup
conversion.

> I guess this needs to be corrected: "Please don't copy content from the
> old wiki to the new wiki. It has been removed deliberately as we didn't
> get permission for that content to be licensed under the new wiki's
> license".

Err, duh. Yeah, obviously.

johannes

2015-01-30 06:19:14

by Rafał Miłecki

On 29 January 2015 at 15:58, Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's actually at http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/ and is just a
> static dump of the old wiki contents. Please don't copy content I
> removed from the new wiki to the old one - we didn't get permission for
> that content to be licensed under the new wiki's license.

Is this expected that in such cases whole pages were dropped? E.g.:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/b43

It doesn't contain anything, not even texts e.g. from me.

--
Rafał

2015-01-30 08:11:16

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 07:19 +0100, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 29 January 2015 at 15:58, Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
> > It's actually at http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/ and is just a
> > static dump of the old wiki contents. Please don't copy content I
> > removed from the new wiki to the old one - we didn't get permission for
> > that content to be licensed under the new wiki's license.
>
> Is this expected that in such cases whole pages were dropped? E.g.:
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/b43
>
> It doesn't contain anything, not even texts e.g. from me.

Sadly, yes. I couldn't really track who wrote what, and that page had a
few contributors, among the more prolific ones Stefano, whom I couldn't
contact to get permission to relicense.

If you know exactly what *you* wrote, you can obviously copy that from
the old site - but I couldn't preserve all of it.

johannes

2015-01-29 19:23:16

by Arend van Spriel

On 01/29/15 15:58, Johannes Berg wrote:
> It's almost been a year, but this finally happened...
>
> The new wiki is at https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/ but the old URL
> (http://wireless.kernel.org/) will continue to work and redirect to the
> new one. Note that right now you need a Linux Foundation identity to be
> able to edit.

I tried to edit the table of drivers and noticed that page is somewhat
garbled at the end. Anyway, for some drivers it lists phy mode as
"A(1)/B/G/N". Now the (1) probably is meant to refer to some footnote
but it is gone. Maybe deliberate (see below)?

>> * I'll keep the read-only wiki at http://wireless.sipsolutions.net/ for
>> a while, in case somebody needs history - you can also download page/history
>> snapshots.
>
> It's actually at http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/ and is just a
> static dump of the old wiki contents. Please don't copy content I
> removed from the new wiki to the old one - we didn't get permission for
> that content to be licensed under the new wiki's license.

I guess this needs to be corrected: "Please don't copy content from the
old wiki to the new wiki. It has been removed deliberately as we didn't
get permission for that content to be licensed under the new wiki's
license".

Regards,
Arend

>> experience skinning mediawiki
>
> It's actually dokuwiki now, so if anyone wants to restore the old site's
> template/layout a dokuwiki template will be needed.
>
>> Obviously, another consequence is that the wiki markup will change
>> somewhat. Moin and Mediawiki aren't too far from each other (except for
>> table syntax), but there are some things that are different that you'll
>> have to get used to when editing.
>
> Again, dokuwiki - slightly different from moinmoin.
>
>> I think/hope that all this can happen over the next few days. If there
>> are any concerns (other than "don't do it") let me know.
>
> Yeah, well, "days" :-)
>
> johannes

by Johannes Berg

It's almost been a year, but this finally happened...

The new wiki is at https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/ but the old URL
(http://wireless.kernel.org/) will continue to work and redirect to the
new one. Note that right now you need a Linux Foundation identity to be
able to edit.

> * I'll keep the read-only wiki at http://wireless.sipsolutions.net/ for
> a while, in case somebody needs history - you can also download page/history
> snapshots.

It's actually at http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/ and is just a
static dump of the old wiki contents. Please don't copy content I
removed from the new wiki to the old one - we didn't get permission for
that content to be licensed under the new wiki's license.

> experience skinning mediawiki

It's actually dokuwiki now, so if anyone wants to restore the old site's
template/layout a dokuwiki template will be needed.

> Obviously, another consequence is that the wiki markup will change
> somewhat. Moin and Mediawiki aren't too far from each other (except for
> table syntax), but there are some things that are different that you'll
> have to get used to when editing.

Again, dokuwiki - slightly different from moinmoin.

> I think/hope that all this can happen over the next few days. If there
> are any concerns (other than "don't do it") let me know.

Yeah, well, "days" :-)

johannes

2015-01-30 08:11:59

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 07:15 +0100, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 29 January 2015 at 15:58, Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Obviously, another consequence is that the wiki markup will change
> >> somewhat. Moin and Mediawiki aren't too far from each other (except for
> >> table syntax), but there are some things that are different that you'll
> >> have to get used to when editing.
> >
> > Again, dokuwiki - slightly different from moinmoin.
>
> Tables using colspans were not moved correctly, see e.g.:
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/soc
>
> It displays "–colspan=3–Chip" in a table cell.

I thought I fixed colspan/rowspan in my conversion, but I guess I didn't
get that right...

Actually some of them there do seem to have it right? Anyway - we'll
have to fix that up by hand.

johannes