2015-08-31 16:00:43

by poma

Subject: RTL8189ETV

Hi Fi,

What is this device, is it supported by
https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8189es

$ modinfo rtl8189es
modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8189es not found.

2015-08-31 20:31:33

by poma

Subject: Re: RTL8189ETV

On 31.08.2015 19:51, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 08/31/2015 12:06 PM, poma wrote:
>> On 31.08.2015 18:00, poma wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Fi,
>>>
>>> What is this device, is it supported by
>>> https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8189es
>>>
>>> $ modinfo rtl8189es
>>> modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8189es not found.
>>>

>> or is it supported by
>> https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu
>> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu
>> as RTL8188ETV is
>>
>> $ modinfo rtl8188eu
>> modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8188eu not found.
>>

>> However RTL8188ETV is USB 2.0 device,
>> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again!
>
> That last comment does not help.
>
> If rtl8188eu is not available, that is the fault of your distro, not anything
> that driver maintainers can help. That driver is in the staging directory, and
> some distros do not include any of those drivers in their kernels.
>
> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again! Someone posts about a USB device not found, and
> they refuse/fail to provide the USB ID. Why, I do not know when the lsusb
> command provides this info so easily.
>
> Larry

What's the hurry, Larry.
Let's see if Hans knows what type of this device is RTL8189ETV.

According to what is written here
http://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi#Variants
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi2
RTL8189ETV, whatever it is, is an integral part of some "O-Pi" variants.

About rtl8188etv can be read here
http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=25&highlight=wifi
but there is no mention of RTL8189ETV.

WikiDevi also returns nothing
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page
"Search results
There were no results matching the query.

Create the page "RTL8189ETV" on this wiki!"

I'm trying to determine in advance,
what components are supported,
what components are not supported,
what components will never be supported,
what components will never be supported in mainline kernel.

Therefore, I can not show 'lsusb' output. :)

"Distro" is not decisive in this matter, moreover dunno what are you referring with "your distro".

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again!

2015-08-31 17:06:19

by poma

On 31.08.2015 18:00, poma wrote:

> Hi Fi,
>
> What is this device, is it supported by
> https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8189es
>
> $ modinfo rtl8189es
> modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8189es not found.

or is it supported by
https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu
as RTL8188ETV is

$ modinfo rtl8188eu
modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8188eu not found.

However RTL8188ETV is USB 2.0 device,
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again!

2015-08-31 21:25:15

by Larry Finger

On 08/31/2015 03:31 PM, poma wrote:
> On 31.08.2015 19:51, Larry Finger wrote:

>>> or is it supported by
>>> https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu
>>> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu
>>> as RTL8188ETV is
>>>
>>> $ modinfo rtl8188eu
>>> modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8188eu not found.
>>>

>>> However RTL8188ETV is USB 2.0 device,
>>> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again!
>>
>> That last comment does not help.
>>
>> If rtl8188eu is not available, that is the fault of your distro, not anything
>> that driver maintainers can help. That driver is in the staging directory, and
>> some distros do not include any of those drivers in their kernels.
>>
>> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again! Someone posts about a USB device not found, and
>> they refuse/fail to provide the USB ID. Why, I do not know when the lsusb
>> command provides this info so easily.
>>
>> Larry
>>

> What's the hurry, Larry.
> Let's see if Hans knows what type of this device is RTL8189ETV.
>
> According to what is written here
> http://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi#Variants
> http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi2
> RTL8189ETV, whatever it is, is an integral part of some "O-Pi" variants.
>
> About rtl8188etv can be read here
> http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=25&highlight=wifi
> but there is no mention of RTL8189ETV.
>
> WikiDevi also returns nothing
> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page
> "Search results
> There were no results matching the query.
>
> Create the page "RTL8189ETV" on this wiki!"
>
> I'm trying to determine in advance,
> what components are supported,
> what components are not supported,
> what components will never be supported,
> what components will never be supported in mainline kernel.
>
> Therefore, I can not show 'lsusb' output. :)
>
> "Distro" is not decisive in this matter, moreover dunno what are you referring with "your distro".
>
> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again!

Silly me. I thought you were trying to get help implemetiing that device.

2015-08-31 17:51:20

by Larry Finger

On 08/31/2015 12:06 PM, poma wrote:
> On 31.08.2015 18:00, poma wrote:
>>
>> Hi Fi,
>>
>> What is this device, is it supported by
>> https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8189es
>>
>> $ modinfo rtl8189es
>> modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8189es not found.
>>

> or is it supported by
> https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-sunxi/tree/orangepi-3.4/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu
> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu
> as RTL8188ETV is
>
> $ modinfo rtl8188eu
> modinfo: ERROR: Module rtl8188eu not found.
>

> However RTL8188ETV is USB 2.0 device,
> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again!

That last comment does not help.

If rtl8188eu is not available, that is the fault of your distro, not anything
that driver maintainers can help. That driver is in the staging directory, and
some distros do not include any of those drivers in their kernels.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again! Someone posts about a USB device not found, and
they refuse/fail to provide the USB ID. Why, I do not know when the lsusb
command provides this info so easily.

Larry

2015-09-01 11:27:06

by poma

On 31.08.2015 23:25, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 08/31/2015 03:31 PM, poma wrote:

>>> That last comment does not help.
>>>
>>> If rtl8188eu is not available, that is the fault of your distro, not anything
>>> that driver maintainers can help. That driver is in the staging directory, and
>>> some distros do not include any of those drivers in their kernels.
>>>
>>> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again! Someone posts about a USB device not found, and
>>> they refuse/fail to provide the USB ID. Why, I do not know when the lsusb
>>> command provides this info so easily.
>>>
>>> Larry
>>>

>> What's the hurry, Larry.
>> Let's see if Hans knows what type of this device is RTL8189ETV.
>>
>> According to what is written here
>> http://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi#Variants
>> http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi2
>> RTL8189ETV, whatever it is, is an integral part of some "O-Pi" variants.
>>
>> About rtl8188etv can be read here
>> http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=25&highlight=wifi
>> but there is no mention of RTL8189ETV.
>>
>> WikiDevi also returns nothing
>> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page
>> "Search results
>> There were no results matching the query.
>>
>> Create the page "RTL8189ETV" on this wiki!"
>>
>> I'm trying to determine in advance,
>> what components are supported,
>> what components are not supported,
>> what components will never be supported,
>> what components will never be supported in mainline kernel.
>>
>> Therefore, I can not show 'lsusb' output. :)
>>
>> "Distro" is not decisive in this matter, moreover dunno what are you referring with "your distro".
>>
>> eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not again!
>
> Silly me. I thought you were trying to get help implemetiing that device.

Implemetiing!? :)
You must have me confused with someone else, man.

2015-09-01 11:16:05

by poma

On 01.09.2015 10:43, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 31-08-15 22:31, poma wrote:
>
>> Let's see if Hans knows what type of this device is RTL8189ETV.
>
> Assuming you are talking about the wifi module of the Allwinner H3
> based Orangepi2 as shown here:
>
> http://linux-sunxi.org/images/9/96/Xunlong_OrangePi2_front.jpg
>
> Then we are talking about a realtek sdio wifi module, not usb but sdio!

Care to share link to RTL8189ETV datasheet?

> These wifi modules are not supported at all by upstream kernels atm.
>
> The path to getting these supported is:
>
> 1) Find the latest out of tree code for them

I found nothing useful apropos rtl8189etv in "linux sdk source code"
http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/

> 2) Get it to build and work with mainline
> 3) Get it added to staging
> 4) Clean it up, clean it up more, clean it up even more
> 5) Repeat 4
> 6) At one future point hopefully the driver can be moved from staging
> to drivers/net/wifi

Yeah, let's see is Realtek R&D gonna realize points 2 - 6.
After all, it's their job, right.

> Good luck with this!

Good luck with this!

> Regards,
>
> Hans
>

> p.s.
>
> I agree with Larry that the way you express yourself in your communications
> is not really helpful. Please remember to be excellent to each other.

p.s.
You can agree with whoever you want man,
however I don't understand why you telling me, or what are you talking about in the first place.

p.p.s.
Although it did not help much, thanks for reply.

2015-09-01 08:44:00

by Hans de Goede

Hi,