2009-02-03 08:13:59

by Kevin Wilson

Subject: A short question about scanning using mac80211 kernel stack

Hello,

I perform scan from my machine and I get 3 results of APs in the network.
As far as I understand, scanning means sending probe requests;
as an answer to these probe requests I should get probe responses from the APs
in the area.

However, I added some printk messages in the code: and I saw that I do indeed
call ieee80211_send_probe_req() when scanning. But I do ***not*** get into
ieee80211_rx_mgmt_probe_resp(), the method which handles probe
response management
packets (IEEE80211_STYPE_PROBE_RESP).

I am using the last wireless-testing git tree.

Why is it so ?
and for what is ieee80211_rx_mgmt_probe_resp() if not for handling
scan responses?

Regards,
Kevin