2009-02-15 13:43:27

by Kevin Wilson

Subject: cfg80211_wext_siwmode() strange behaviour

Hello,

I had tried to set an rt73usb-based nic to work in secondary mode
(NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN)
by "iwconfig wlan3 mode secondary". (according to "man iwconfig", this
operation is supported).

I get:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan3 ; Invalid argument.

I traced the problem to cfg80211_wext_siwmode() method; (wext-compat.c)
I see that when IW_MODE_SECOND is passed, it returns -EINVAL;
according to this, you cannot set up a nic to IW_MODE_SECOND
(NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN).

Nevertheless, in

cfg80211_wext_giwmode() there is
case NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN:
*mode = IW_MODE_SECOND; /* FIXME */

So, maybe this should be removed at all ? or is there a different way to set
a nic to work in NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN mode ?
So, is there something wrong here? Or am I missing something ?

(I had tested it with latest wireless-testing git tree).

Regards,
Kevin

2009-02-15 16:14:04

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: cfg80211_wext_siwmode() strange behaviour

On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 15:43 +0200, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> I had tried to set an rt73usb-based nic to work in secondary mode
> (NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN)
> by "iwconfig wlan3 mode secondary". (according to "man iwconfig", this
> operation is supported).
>
> I get:
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wlan3 ; Invalid argument.

This is intentional, since you need hostapd.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part