2016-03-25 17:23:45

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: [lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2016 - Many new applications

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:49:34AM +0300, Evgeny Novikov wrote:
> [...]
> Abraham Masri - Kedos Operating System - Proposal Draft - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5824313382928384/ (Greg marked this proposal as not valid)
> Wenhui Zhang - LLVM - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5513414914867200/ (Jan-Simon marked it as spam)
> devesh8091 - Penguin - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/4940939340546048/
> Ricky Muhammad - The Linux Foundation - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5458068905132032/ (Greg pointed what to do but the student ignored this)
>
> This student suggested two proposals that aren't good and likely the student isn't going to improve them. So I suggest to ignore them if Greg doesn't mind:
> Sandhya - IIO driver - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5372313474170880/
> Sandhya - memory management latency tracing - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5404748865863680/
>
> This student creates 3 different applications for 3 different projects without providing any particular details. I see his applications a bit and this doesn't look like he really wants and can to implement something valuable. So I suggest to just ignore his proposals:
> Ravike14 - GSOC 2016- The Linux Foundation (Driver Backport) - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5414085923438592/
> Ravike14 - GSOC 2016- The Linux Foundation (Driver Backport) - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6630431633965056/
> Ravike14 - GSOC 2016- The Linux Foundation (General kernel work) - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6384381044195328/
>
> Select one of the proposals for the same project if it isn't really required to have two or more students working concurrently/collaboratively:
> Erick 2206 - Diagnose My Ceph Cluster - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5040149662531584/ and penguinRaider - Diagnose my ceph cluster - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6137977797345280/ (at the moment both are accepted)
> narendasan - Proposal for work on QEMU API for Rust - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5184290644033536/ and DrewSidman - QEMU API for Rust - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6135625933651968/ (at the moment both are accepted although the second application even doesn't have any proposal just the abstract)
>

> The rest proposals (~9) are either already thoroughly reviewed and accepted or need this ASAP.

One new proposal just got submitted:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6320691074826240/

and I'm willing to mentor it, as long as the "final" application matches
up with the draft one. I didn't see anywhere to "star" an application,
why do some have that mark and others do not?

thanks,

greg k-h

2016-03-25 22:58:52

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/25/2016 02:23 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> I didn't see anywhere to "star" an application,
> why do some have that mark and others do not?

You can click the start in the list of applications or click the "STAR"
option on the proposal page.

This is to mark if you really want this student/project. Note that it is
only for our internal use, Google does not see/use the star settings.

Till

2016-03-25 23:46:54

by Greg KH

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 07:58:47PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 02:23 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> >I didn't see anywhere to "star" an application,
> >why do some have that mark and others do not?
>
> You can click the start in the list of applications or click the "STAR"
> option on the proposal page.

I don't see that option on the proposal page, nor can I click on it on
the list. Maybe that's something that you need admin rights for :)

> This is to mark if you really want this student/project. Note that it is
> only for our internal use, Google does not see/use the star settings.

Ok, then I'm not going to worry about it.

Now that the application process is closed, what's our next step here?
How do we rank/sort/evaluate them? I don't see the "put a number here"
option like we have had in previous years.

thanks,

greg k-h