2016-06-03 17:26:19

by bruce m beach

Subject: ath9k_htc firmware

Hello All

I am still working on cleaning up ath9k_htc firmware build tree for about 6
months now ( and looks like I'll be doing this for all eternity**2 ) and am
not clear myself what I'm looking for right now.

I'm looking for some kind of simple request in the ath9k_htc driver, through
the usb ep0, like a memory read on the card, where a urb is sent with
the resulting chain of events. The simpler the better. The simplest.

Bruce

2016-06-04 05:55:34

by Oleksij Rempel

Subject: Re: ath9k_htc firmware

Am 03.06.2016 um 19:26 schrieb bruce m beach:
> Hello All
>
> I am still working on cleaning up ath9k_htc firmware build tree for about 6
> months now ( and looks like I'll be doing this for all eternity**2 ) and am
> not clear myself what I'm looking for right now.
>
> I'm looking for some kind of simple request in the ath9k_htc driver, through
> the usb ep0, like a memory read on the card, where a urb is sent with
> the resulting chain of events. The simpler the better. The simplest.

For EP0 on drivers site:
static int ath9k_hif_usb_download_fw(struct hif_device_usb *hif_dev)
{
int transfer, err;
const void *data = hif_dev->fw_data;
size_t len = hif_dev->fw_size;
u32 addr = AR9271_FIRMWARE;
u8 *buf = kzalloc(4096, GFP_KERNEL);
u32 firm_offset;

if (!buf)
return -ENOMEM;

while (len) {
transfer = min_t(size_t, len, 4096);
memcpy(buf, data, transfer);

err = usb_control_msg(hif_dev->udev,
usb_sndctrlpipe(hif_dev->udev, 0),
FIRMWARE_DOWNLOAD, 0x40 | USB_DIR_OUT,
addr >> 8, 0, buf, transfer, HZ);

On side of pre installed firmware, the code looks like this:
open-ath9k-htc-firmware/sboot/magpie_1_1/sboot/hif/usb/src/usb_api.c
LOCAL void VendorCommand(void)
{
#define cUSB_REQ_DOWNLOAD 0x30
#define cUSB_REQ_DOWNLOAD_COMP 0x31
#define cUSB_REQ_BOOT 0x32
#define cUSB_REQ_RESERVED_1 0x33
#define cUSB_REQ_RESERVED_2 0x34

#define cUSB_REQ_FLASH_READ 0x35
#define cUSB_REQ_FLASH_READ_COMP 0x36

//#define ZM_FIRMWARE_ADDR 0x200000

void (*funcPtr)(void);
uint16_t *text_addr = 0;
uint32_t ep0_data = 0x0;

signature.asc (213.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2016-06-04 20:27:41

by Oleksij Rempel

Am 04.06.2016 um 21:44 schrieb bruce m beach:
>>> I'm looking for some kind of simple request in the ath9k_htc driver, through
>>> the usb ep0, like a memory read on the card, where a urb is sent with
>>> the resulting chain of events. The simpler the better. The simplest.
>
>> For EP0 on drivers site:
>> static int ath9k_hif_usb_download_fw(struct hif_device_usb *hif_dev)
>> {
>> int transfer, err;
>> const void *data = hif_dev->fw_data;
>> size_t len = hif_dev->fw_size;
>> u32 addr = AR9271_FIRMWARE;
>> u8 *buf = kzalloc(4096, GFP_KERNEL);
>> u32 firm_offset;
>
> What about the code for setting and resetting leds ???
>
> Bruce

It is EP3/EP4 and it is not working without firmware.
Here is one example how you can add new command to firmware:
https://github.com/olerem/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/commit/c73c159303e30a28e2d3dc05ba0d2d15504e5fad

And for kernel driver:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8badb50cfab6d433622dbfd5a90b6adf27333107

PS: Grr... today i send message from wrong email. Sorry for the spam

Oleksij

Attachments:
signature.asc (213.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2016-06-04 20:25:35

by Oleksij Rempel

Am 04.06.2016 um 21:44 schrieb bruce m beach:
>>> I'm looking for some kind of simple request in the ath9k_htc driver, through
>>> the usb ep0, like a memory read on the card, where a urb is sent with
>>> the resulting chain of events. The simpler the better. The simplest.
>
>> For EP0 on drivers site:
>> static int ath9k_hif_usb_download_fw(struct hif_device_usb *hif_dev)
>> {
>> int transfer, err;
>> const void *data = hif_dev->fw_data;
>> size_t len = hif_dev->fw_size;
>> u32 addr = AR9271_FIRMWARE;
>> u8 *buf = kzalloc(4096, GFP_KERNEL);
>> u32 firm_offset;
>
> What about the code for setting and resetting leds ???
>
> Bruce

It is EP3/EP4 and it is not working without firmware.
Here is one example how you can add new command to firmware:
https://github.com/olerem/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/commit/c73c159303e30a28e2d3dc05ba0d2d15504e5fad

And for kernel driver:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8badb50cfab6d433622dbfd5a90b6adf27333107

2016-06-04 05:58:47

by Oleksij Rempel

Subject: Fwd: Re: ath9k_htc firmware

Am 03.06.2016 um 19:26 schrieb bruce m beach:
> Hello All
>
> I am still working on cleaning up ath9k_htc firmware build tree for about 6
> months now ( and looks like I'll be doing this for all eternity**2 ) and am
> not clear myself what I'm looking for right now.
>
> I'm looking for some kind of simple request in the ath9k_htc driver, through
> the usb ep0, like a memory read on the card, where a urb is sent with
> the resulting chain of events. The simpler the better. The simplest.

For EP0 on drivers site:
static int ath9k_hif_usb_download_fw(struct hif_device_usb *hif_dev)
{
int transfer, err;
const void *data = hif_dev->fw_data;
size_t len = hif_dev->fw_size;
u32 addr = AR9271_FIRMWARE;
u8 *buf = kzalloc(4096, GFP_KERNEL);
u32 firm_offset;

if (!buf)
return -ENOMEM;

while (len) {
transfer = min_t(size_t, len, 4096);
memcpy(buf, data, transfer);

err = usb_control_msg(hif_dev->udev,
usb_sndctrlpipe(hif_dev->udev, 0),
FIRMWARE_DOWNLOAD, 0x40 | USB_DIR_OUT,
addr >> 8, 0, buf, transfer, HZ);

On side of pre installed firmware, the code looks like this:
open-ath9k-htc-firmware/sboot/magpie_1_1/sboot/hif/usb/src/usb_api.c
LOCAL void VendorCommand(void)
{
#define cUSB_REQ_DOWNLOAD 0x30
#define cUSB_REQ_DOWNLOAD_COMP 0x31
#define cUSB_REQ_BOOT 0x32
#define cUSB_REQ_RESERVED_1 0x33
#define cUSB_REQ_RESERVED_2 0x34

#define cUSB_REQ_FLASH_READ 0x35
#define cUSB_REQ_FLASH_READ_COMP 0x36

//#define ZM_FIRMWARE_ADDR 0x200000

void (*funcPtr)(void);
uint16_t *text_addr = 0;
uint32_t ep0_data = 0x0;

signature.asc (213.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2016-06-09 15:14:19

by bruce m beach

> Here is one example how you can add new command to firmware:
> https://github.com/olerem/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/commit
>> /c73c159303e30a28e2d3dc05ba0d2d15504e5fad

Thanks for the example. Seems clear as to how it works. Currently I'm looking
at anything to do with these tables, which I'll be at it for the next month or
so. Going back to the original question I see that the reason that I didn't
find very much in terms of traffic on EP0 is that there isn't very
much traffic on
EP0 so that answers that.

Currently the real problem that I'm having is that I can't open a USBLIB FD out
in userland while the kernel driver is attached. I can talk to the stick
without the driver but while the driver is attached it blocks the access and I
would very much like to disable that block.

Bruce

2016-06-04 19:44:56

by bruce m beach