2018-08-04 15:08:47

by Dan Kosek

Subject: iw scanning broken?

If you enter the following command, you should get a single channel =
scan:

sudo iw wlan0 scan freq 2412

You do not. Instead you get a full (all) channels scan, which takes 3-5 =
seconds.

This has been tested on Raspberry Pi Raspian 9 and Peppermint OS 7 ( =
Linux 4.4.0-53-generic #74-Ubuntu) with the same results.

i believe iw is broken or some command knowledge is missing.

Dan

by Arend Van Spriel

Subject: Re: iw scanning broken?

+ linux-wireless

On 8/5/2018 4:59 AM, Dan Kosek wrote:
> Arend,
>
> Thank you for getting back to me. Adding the ?flush? variable to the command fixes the issue on both systems. Wow is the single channel scan fast with the flush. Is appears the full scan (all channels) is faster with the flush option as well.

Glad it worked for you.

> I have attached my bash logs.
>
> No I have don?t have kernel logfiles.
>
> I would be glad to collect the kernel log files for you tomorrow.

There is not really an issue here so no need.

> Can you provide me some instructions or a reference and I will forward them.
> (I am a wireless engineer my trade and learning to program now.)

Welcome to the dark side :-p Getting the logs depends on you linux
distro, but using dmesg tends to work on most of them.

Regards,
Arend

2018-08-04 21:21:13

by Arend Van Spriel

On 8/4/2018 3:08 PM, Dan Kosek wrote:
> If you enter the following command, you should get a single channel scan:
>
> sudo iw wlan0 scan freq 2412
>
> You do not. Instead you get a full (all) channels scan, which takes 3-5 seconds.

Do you have any logs to support that claim. Please note that the command
returns all BSS-es that are listed in wireless subsystem, ie. in
cfg80211. That includes BSS-es found in previous scans unless their
lifetime expired. What happens if you do...

$ sudo iw wlan0 scan freq 2412 flush

> This has been tested on Raspberry Pi Raspian 9 and Peppermint OS 7 ( Linux 4.4.0-53-generic #74-Ubuntu) with the same results.
>
> i believe iw is broken or some command knowledge is missing.

So what drivers are involved. Please include kernel logs.

Regards,
Arend

2018-08-08 04:43:25

by Dan Kosek

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 5:41 PM, Dan Kosek <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Here are the Raspberry Pi 3B log files.
>
> I will be sending the one from the test laptop I have later this evening.
>
> Dan
>
> Dan Kosek
> [email protected]
> <Raspberry Pi 3B Log Files.zip>
>
>> On Aug 6, 2018, at 5:17 AM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> + linux-wireless
>>
>> On 8/5/2018 4:59 AM, Dan Kosek wrote:
>>> Arend,
>>>
>>> Thank you for getting back to me. Adding the “flush” variable to the command fixes the issue on both systems. Wow is the single channel scan fast with the flush. Is appears the full scan (all channels) is faster with the flush option as well.
>>
>> Glad it worked for you.
>>
>>> I have attached my bash logs.
>>>
>>> No I have don’t have kernel logfiles.
>>>
>>> I would be glad to collect the kernel log files for you tomorrow.
>>
>> There is not really an issue here so no need.
>>
>>> Can you provide me some instructions or a reference and I will forward them.
>>> (I am a wireless engineer my trade and learning to program now.)
>>
>> Welcome to the dark side :-p Getting the logs depends on you linux distro, but using dmesg tends to work on most of them.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arend

Attachments:
auth.log (45.26 kB)