2007-08-19 19:37:24

by Larry Finger

Subject: ALERT: firmware change for b43

Just in case you missed the details, the latest set of changes to b43 queued by Michael will require
a new version of fwcutter, now called b43-fwcutter, and a new extraction of your firmware.

There are several changes. Most notably, the firmware for b43 and b43legacy will reside in separate
directories under /lib/firmware, or whatever is appropriate for your distro. With the new directory
structure, there will be no name clashes for firmware for b43, b43legacy, and bcm43xx. The fwpostfix
option still exists, but it is no longer essential for operation. The firmware files have also been
renamed to reflect their usage. This is most obvious for the "initvals" files. A third change
restructures the firmware files to reduce their size.

It is recommended that you update fwcutter before these patches are merged. If your version of
fwcutter was obtained with subversion, a simple 'svn update' in the fwcutter directory will suffice.
If you are using a version provided by your distro, you will need to checkout the latest version
with the command 'svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/bcm43xx/trunk/fwcutter'. This will create the
directory fwcutter. You should 'cd fwcutter', followed by 'make'. You then use the newly made
b43-fwcutter to extract V4 firmware. If you have BCM4301 or BCM4306/2 devices, you should also use
b43-cutter to extract V3 firmware for b43legacy. The patch to include that driver in wireless-dev
will be submitted very soon.

Larry

2007-08-23 09:12:16

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: ALERT: firmware change for b43

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 14:37 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> It is recommended that you update fwcutter before these patches are
> merged. If your version of fwcutter was obtained with subversion, a
> simple 'svn update' in the fwcutter directory will suffice.
> If you are using a version provided by your distro, you will need to
> checkout the latest version with the command 'svn checkout
> svn://svn.berlios.de/bcm43xx/trunk/fwcutter'.

Ew, Subversion. Hasn't everyone abandoned that yet?

I've set up a script to mirror it into git hourly:
http://git.infradead.org/?p=b43-fwcutter.git
git://git.infradead.org/b43-fwcutter.git

--
dwmw2

2007-08-22 15:25:34

by Larry Finger

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 02:37:21PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
>> Just in case you missed the details, the latest set of changes to b43 queued by Michael will require
>> a new version of fwcutter, now called b43-fwcutter, and a new extraction of your firmware.
>
> Is there a tarball available for download, as with bcm43xx-fwcutter?
> It would be handy for packaging.

The new code is in the svn repository; however, a tarball would not be a problem. Is source
sufficient, or would you want an executable?

Larry

2007-08-23 22:16:56

by Larry Finger

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 14:37 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
>> It is recommended that you update fwcutter before these patches are
>> merged. If your version of fwcutter was obtained with subversion, a
>> simple 'svn update' in the fwcutter directory will suffice.
>> If you are using a version provided by your distro, you will need to
>> checkout the latest version with the command 'svn checkout
>> svn://svn.berlios.de/bcm43xx/trunk/fwcutter'.
>
> Ew, Subversion. Hasn't everyone abandoned that yet?
>
> I've set up a script to mirror it into git hourly:
> http://git.infradead.org/?p=b43-fwcutter.git
> git://git.infradead.org/b43-fwcutter.git

Although git is clearly superior, it doesn't make that much difference for small projects. Where
Subversion still has a place, however, is where the project is code used on multiple OS's. At least
I haven't seen a port of git to Windows. OS X wouldn't be that much trouble, I guess.

Larry

2007-08-23 20:59:26

by Michael Büsch

On Thursday 23 August 2007 11:12:10 David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 14:37 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> > It is recommended that you update fwcutter before these patches are
> > merged. If your version of fwcutter was obtained with subversion, a
> > simple 'svn update' in the fwcutter directory will suffice.
> > If you are using a version provided by your distro, you will need to
> > checkout the latest version with the command 'svn checkout
> > svn://svn.berlios.de/bcm43xx/trunk/fwcutter'.
>
> Ew, Subversion. Hasn't everyone abandoned that yet?
>
> I've set up a script to mirror it into git hourly:
> http://git.infradead.org/?p=b43-fwcutter.git
> git://git.infradead.org/b43-fwcutter.git

Well, for most of my projects. But I didn't see a really good
reason to move fwcutter to git, yet.
Maybe I should move it to git, though, as git trees are easier to handle.

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-08-22 22:30:18

by Michael Büsch

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 20:08:09 Larry Finger wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
> >> The new code is in the svn repository; however, a tarball would not be a
> >> problem. Is source sufficient, or would you want an executable?
> >
> > Source would be fine, equivalent to what is here:
> >
> > http://download.berlios.de/bcm43xx/bcm43xx-fwcutter-006.tar.bz2
>
> I don't have nor want write access at berlios.de. The file you want is:
>
> ftp://lwfinger.dynalias.org/patches/b43-fwcutter-008.tar.bz2.

http://prdownload.berlios.de/bcm43xx/b43-fwcutter-008.tar.bz2

Larry, please remove yours again, as it's not good to have multiple tarballs
with the same name/release version floating around

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-08-22 15:17:22

by John W. Linville

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 02:37:21PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

> Just in case you missed the details, the latest set of changes to b43 queued by Michael will require
> a new version of fwcutter, now called b43-fwcutter, and a new extraction of your firmware.

Is there a tarball available for download, as with bcm43xx-fwcutter?
It would be handy for packaging.

John
--
John W. Linville

by Larry Finger

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 10:25:28AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
>> John W. Linville wrote:
>>> Is there a tarball available for download, as with bcm43xx-fwcutter?
>>> It would be handy for packaging.
>> The new code is in the svn repository; however, a tarball would not be a
>> problem. Is source sufficient, or would you want an executable?
>
> Source would be fine, equivalent to what is here:
>
> http://download.berlios.de/bcm43xx/bcm43xx-fwcutter-006.tar.bz2

I don't have nor want write access at berlios.de. The file you want is:

ftp://lwfinger.dynalias.org/patches/b43-fwcutter-008.tar.bz2.

Larry

2007-08-22 17:44:57

by John W. Linville

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 10:25:28AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 02:37:21PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> >>Just in case you missed the details, the latest set of changes to b43
> >>queued by Michael will require
> >>a new version of fwcutter, now called b43-fwcutter, and a new extraction
> >>of your firmware.
> >
> >Is there a tarball available for download, as with bcm43xx-fwcutter?
> >It would be handy for packaging.
>
> The new code is in the svn repository; however, a tarball would not be a
> problem. Is source sufficient, or would you want an executable?

Source would be fine, equivalent to what is here:

http://download.berlios.de/bcm43xx/bcm43xx-fwcutter-006.tar.bz2

Thanks!

John
--
John W. Linville

by Larry Finger

John H. wrote:
> I'm sorry, I am coming into this rather late. is this the latest
> firmware for bcm43xx devices at version 4?

This is the new version of fwcutter that extracts firmware with the file names and format needed for
b43 and b43legacy. As usual, firmware is not being distributed. The README file in the distribution
has a link to the recommended V3 and V4 drivers from which to extract firmware.

Larry

2007-08-22 18:10:21

by John H.