2007-11-21 19:35:47

by John H.

Subject: timeout problems with certain APs and b43

uname -a
Linux laptop 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Nov 8 21:41:26 EST 2007 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
fedora 8

on certain APs, the internet works for a long time then stops, and I
get authentication time outs, why? It usually works again if I reset
the AP itself, which i should not have to do and don't have to if in
XP....

wlan0: switched to long barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)
wlan0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)

wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24 timed out

2007-11-23 22:04:08

by Rafael J. Wysocki

Subject: Re: timeout problems with certain APs and b43

On Friday, 23 of November 2007, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > > Does it help to reload the b43 module? I think I have seen this problem
> > > before but always associated it with suspend/resume rather than a long
> > > time elapsing, I also thought it was due to bad power recalibration.
> >
> > It seems that I can reproduce something similar on demand with an SMC wireless
> > router by moving my box sufficiently far away from it. :-)
>
> Well, yeah, that's expected though, you lose signal at some point. Not
> expected is that it happens without moving anything. Unless the
> calibration code is wrong which wouldn't really surprise me either.

In my case, everything works just fine when the box is 6 meters away from the
AP (including a thick wall in between), but when I move it another 5-6 meters
away from the AP, things break down ...

I'd expect it to work at longer distances, but well. :-)

Greetings,
Rafael

2007-11-24 01:56:10

by John H.

On Nov 23, 2007 4:21 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > It seems that I can reproduce something similar on demand with an SMC wireless
> > > router by moving my box sufficiently far away from it. :-)
> >
> > Well, yeah, that's expected though, you lose signal at some point. Not
> > expected is that it happens without moving anything. Unless the
> > calibration code is wrong which wouldn't really surprise me either.
>
> In my case, everything works just fine when the box is 6 meters away from the
> AP (including a thick wall in between), but when I move it another 5-6 meters
> away from the AP, things break down ...
>
> I'd expect it to work at longer distances, but well. :-)
>
> Greetings,
> Rafael

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Network4Home"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:66:53:3E:24
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality=68/100 Signal level=-58 dBm Noise level=-69 dBm

I'd say 68/100 is a good signal strength. I do use suspend/resume a
lot, but sometimes only a reboot of the laptop or the AP seems to get
it working normally again.

2007-11-21 22:18:21

by Larry Finger

John H. wrote:
> uname -a
> Linux laptop 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Nov 8 21:41:26 EST 2007 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> fedora 8
>
> on certain APs, the internet works for a long time then stops, and I
> get authentication time outs, why? It usually works again if I reset
> the AP itself, which i should not have to do and don't have to if in
> XP....
>

> wlan0: switched to long barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)
> wlan0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)
>

> wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24 timed out

Do you have the opportunity to capture the wireless traffic with a second computer using Kismet or
Wireshark when this condition occurs? Without that info, it would be hard to know what might be
wrong. Of course, I don't have the problem with either of my AP's.

Could you identify the make/model and firmware revisions of any AP's that show this behavior?

Larry

2007-11-23 21:57:44

by Johannes Berg

> > > on certain APs, the internet works for a long time then stops, and I
> > > get authentication time outs, why? It usually works again if I reset
> > > the AP itself, which i should not have to do and don't have to if in
> > > XP....
> >
> > > wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> > > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > > wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24 timed out
> >
> > Does it help to reload the b43 module? I think I have seen this problem
> > before but always associated it with suspend/resume rather than a long
> > time elapsing, I also thought it was due to bad power recalibration.
>
> It seems that I can reproduce something similar on demand with an SMC wireless
> router by moving my box sufficiently far away from it. :-)

Well, yeah, that's expected though, you lose signal at some point. Not
expected is that it happens without moving anything. Unless the
calibration code is wrong which wouldn't really surprise me either.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-11-24 10:59:42

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Saturday, 24 of November 2007, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > > Well, yeah, that's expected though, you lose signal at some point. Not
> > > expected is that it happens without moving anything. Unless the
> > > calibration code is wrong which wouldn't really surprise me either.
> >
> > In my case, everything works just fine when the box is 6 meters away from the
> > AP (including a thick wall in between), but when I move it another 5-6 meters
> > away from the AP, things break down ...
> >
> > I'd expect it to work at longer distances, but well. :-)
>
> Yeah, but keep in mind we reverse engineered all the calibration code.

Sure. :-)

For me it's not a problem (everywhere I use the wireless, there are APs close
enough ;-)), but it seems related to what's been reported in this thread.

Greetings,
Rafael

2007-11-23 21:41:12

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Friday, 23 of November 2007, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > on certain APs, the internet works for a long time then stops, and I
> > get authentication time outs, why? It usually works again if I reset
> > the AP itself, which i should not have to do and don't have to if in
> > XP....
>
> > wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24 timed out
>
> Does it help to reload the b43 module? I think I have seen this problem
> before but always associated it with suspend/resume rather than a long
> time elapsing, I also thought it was due to bad power recalibration.

It seems that I can reproduce something similar on demand with an SMC wireless
router by moving my box sufficiently far away from it. :-)

Greetings,
Rafael

2007-11-24 08:35:41

by Johannes Berg

> > > It seems that I can reproduce something similar on demand with an SMC wireless
> > > router by moving my box sufficiently far away from it. :-)
> >
> > Well, yeah, that's expected though, you lose signal at some point. Not
> > expected is that it happens without moving anything. Unless the
> > calibration code is wrong which wouldn't really surprise me either.
>
> In my case, everything works just fine when the box is 6 meters away from the
> AP (including a thick wall in between), but when I move it another 5-6 meters
> away from the AP, things break down ...
>
> I'd expect it to work at longer distances, but well. :-)

Yeah, but keep in mind we reverse engineered all the calibration code.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-11-23 12:15:50

by Johannes Berg

> on certain APs, the internet works for a long time then stops, and I
> get authentication time outs, why? It usually works again if I reset
> the AP itself, which i should not have to do and don't have to if in
> XP....

> wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24 timed out

Does it help to reload the b43 module? I think I have seen this problem
before but always associated it with suspend/resume rather than a long
time elapsing, I also thought it was due to bad power recalibration.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-11-23 04:31:42

by John H.

wrt54gs with latest firmware.

it seems exclusive to linux:O

On Nov 21, 2007 4:18 PM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> John H. wrote:
> > uname -a
> > Linux laptop 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Nov 8 21:41:26 EST 2007 i686
> > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> > fedora 8
> >
> > on certain APs, the internet works for a long time then stops, and I
> > get authentication time outs, why? It usually works again if I reset
> > the AP itself, which i should not have to do and don't have to if in
> > XP....
> >

> > wlan0: switched to long barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)
> > wlan0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)
> >

> > wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
> > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
> > wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24 timed out
>
> Do you have the opportunity to capture the wireless traffic with a second computer using Kismet or
> Wireshark when this condition occurs? Without that info, it would be hard to know what might be
> wrong. Of course, I don't have the problem with either of my AP's.
>
> Could you identify the make/model and firmware revisions of any AP's that show this behavior?
>
> Larry

2007-11-23 05:41:01

by Larry Finger

John H. wrote:
> wrt54gs with latest firmware.
>
> it seems exclusive to linux:O
>
> On Nov 21, 2007 4:18 PM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
>> John H. wrote:
>>> uname -a
>>> Linux laptop 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Nov 8 21:41:26 EST 2007 i686
>>> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>> fedora 8
>>>
>>> on certain APs, the internet works for a long time then stops, and I
>>> get authentication time outs, why? It usually works again if I reset
>>> the AP itself, which i should not have to do and don't have to if in
>>> XP....
>>>

>>> wlan0: switched to long barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)
>>> wlan0: switched to short barker preamble (BSSID=00:0f:66:53:3e:24)
>>>

>>> wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
>>> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
>>> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
>>> wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24
>>> wlan0: authentication with AP 00:0f:66:53:3e:24 timed out
>> Do you have the opportunity to capture the wireless traffic with a second computer using Kismet or
>> Wireshark when this condition occurs? Without that info, it would be hard to know what might be
>> wrong. Of course, I don't have the problem with either of my AP's.
>>
>> Could you identify the make/model and firmware revisions of any AP's that show this behavior?

Please do not top post!

The problem is not generic with Linksys AP's. I use a WRT54GL V1.1 and a WRT54G V5. Neither shows
the problem.

We need a dump of the wireless traffic when this condition occurs.

Larry