2007-12-08 20:22:42

by John H.

Subject: b43 continues to have issue with APs at times

I have this problem at two different locations with two different
access points. 2.6.23.1 kernel, and sometimes until I actually power
down the AP and restart it, wpa_supplicant and such just times out on
the AP.

Any ideas?

2007-12-11 21:41:51

by John H.

Subject: Re: b43 continues to have issue with APs at times

Is that a question?

this is with 2.6.23.1

On Dec 9, 2007 5:40 AM, Michael Buesch <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 December 2007 12:37:27 John H. wrote:
> > i dont know what other ones i would have used. bcm43xx never worked
> > right, really, and had bandwidth limitations.
> >
> > Right now I am downloading over a wireless lan and getting 1mb/s.
> > Why? That just makes no sense.
>
> Because it's broken?
>

> --
> Greetings Michael.

2007-12-09 11:37:29

by John H.

On Dec 9, 2007 4:57 AM, Michael Buesch <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 December 2007 09:01:26 John H. wrote:
> > no, i stopped using ndiswrapper a while back because I wanted to use
> > b43, but I did not have this issue then.
>
> But ndiswrapper doesn't use mac80211, right?
> Do you see this issue with other _mac80211_ drivers?

> > > I think that's rather a mac80211 or supplicant issue.
> > > I think roaming should handle this.
> > > Do you see this with other drivers, too?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Greetings Michael.
> > >

> --
> Greetings Michael.

2007-12-09 08:02:37

by John H.

yes. not until i reboot the AP, and this is with two different APs,
does it resolve.

My other problem, at least with this AP, is that although it is a G
device, i cannot get 54mb/s speed or anything close, with iwconfig
generally reporting 1mb/s.

In other words, I cannot use mythtv over a network which I was able to
do with ndiswrapper.

On Dec 8, 2007 3:09 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Saturday, 8 of December 2007, Michael Buesch wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 December 2007 21:22:37 John H. wrote:
> > > I have this problem at two different locations with two different
> > > access points. 2.6.23.1 kernel, and sometimes until I actually power
> > > down the AP and restart it, wpa_supplicant and such just times out on
> > > the AP.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
>
> Have you tried to change the distance from the AP (like moving closer to it
> when the wpa_supplicant is appearing to have problems)?
>
> Rafael

2007-12-08 20:51:01

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Saturday, 8 of December 2007, Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Saturday 08 December 2007 21:22:37 John H. wrote:
> > I have this problem at two different locations with two different
> > access points. 2.6.23.1 kernel, and sometimes until I actually power
> > down the AP and restart it, wpa_supplicant and such just times out on
> > the AP.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Have you tried to change the distance from the AP (like moving closer to it
when the wpa_supplicant is appearing to have problems)?

Rafael

2007-12-09 10:59:09

by Michael Büsch

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-12-11 21:55:12

by Michael Büsch

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 22:41:49 John H. wrote:
> Is that a question?

Not really.
You know the history of this driver? I mean. It's good
that it works at all. If you need better performance
someone has to fix it, probably. You could start with it. :)

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-12-08 20:36:52

by Michael Büsch

On Saturday 08 December 2007 21:22:37 John H. wrote:
> I have this problem at two different locations with two different
> access points. 2.6.23.1 kernel, and sometimes until I actually power
> down the AP and restart it, wpa_supplicant and such just times out on
> the AP.
>
> Any ideas?

I think that's rather a mac80211 or supplicant issue.
I think roaming should handle this.
Do you see this with other drivers, too?

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-12-09 11:41:47

by Michael Büsch

On Sunday 09 December 2007 12:37:27 John H. wrote:
> i dont know what other ones i would have used. bcm43xx never worked
> right, really, and had bandwidth limitations.
>
> Right now I am downloading over a wireless lan and getting 1mb/s.
> Why? That just makes no sense.

Because it's broken?

--
Greetings Michael.