2008-04-01 17:04:39

by John W. Linville

Subject: Re: New IWL4935 driver for Intel Wireless Cards does not support WPA2 wireless network with PEAP - MSCHAPV2

You probably want to address this to [email protected]
instead...

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:40:20AM +0200, Luca Venturini wrote:
> Using Ubuntu Hardy Beta, Linux kernel 2.6.24, AMD64.
> I have to connect to a campus (University of Verona, Italy; more
> information maybe available at https://wifi.univr.it sadly in Italian only,
> and I am not sure it is reachable from outside the university) WPA2
> wireless network. It uses PEAP authentication, Dynamic WEP encryption,
> second phase: MSCHAPv2.
> It also requires user login, password, and a CA certificate (available at
> the web page I linked above).
> At the same page a wpasupplicant configuration file is also available, so
> to allow people to connect from linux also.
> In Ubuntu Gutsy 32 bit (Linux kernel 2.6.22.14 if I am not mistaken) I was
> able to connect through NetworkManager and precisely using the GNOME
> nm-applet.
> However, since I switched to Linux 2.6.24, I have no more been able to
> connect, whether through NM-applet or from the command line, using
> wpasupplicant. The wireless functions perfectly, and there has been no
> change in its configuration, since I am using it now (Windows Vista,
> configured months ago).
> Reported also here on launchpad:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/209602
> Thank you for your attention.
> Greetings
>
> Luca Venturini

John W. Linville

by Somchai Smythe

intel wireless just doesn't work on linux 2.6.24.4; wait for 2.6.25.x stable.

On 4/1/08, John W. Linville <[email protected]> wrote:
> You probably want to address this to [email protected]
> instead...
>
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:40:20AM +0200, Luca Venturini wrote:
> > Using Ubuntu Hardy Beta, Linux kernel 2.6.24, AMD64.
> > I have to connect to a campus (University of Verona, Italy; more
> > information maybe available at https://wifi.univr.it sadly in Italian
> only,
> > and I am not sure it is reachable from outside the university) WPA2
> > wireless network. It uses PEAP authentication, Dynamic WEP encryption,
> > second phase: MSCHAPv2.
> > It also requires user login, password, and a CA certificate (available at
> > the web page I linked above).
> > At the same page a wpasupplicant configuration file is also available, so
> > to allow people to connect from linux also.
> > In Ubuntu Gutsy 32 bit (Linux kernel 2.6.22.14 if I am not mistaken) I was
> > able to connect through NetworkManager and precisely using the GNOME
> > nm-applet.
> > However, since I switched to Linux 2.6.24, I have no more been able to
> > connect, whether through NM-applet or from the command line, using
> > wpasupplicant. The wireless functions perfectly, and there has been no
> > change in its configuration, since I am using it now (Windows Vista,
> > configured months ago).
> > Reported also here on launchpad:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/209602
> > Thank you for your attention.
> > Greetings
> >
> > Luca Venturini
> > --
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

> John W. Linville
> [email protected]

by Lennart Sorensen

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:54:35PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> 2.6.25.1 will be out after the first bug is fixed in Linux 2.6.25. I
> cannot promise you that any such bug would exist. Actually, I hope
> that there will be no reason for 2.6.25.1 release.
>
> In any case, putting pressure on wireless developers is not
> appreciated. Maybe you should learn how to compile Linux kernels. Or
> maybe you should talk to Ubuntu release engineers and ask them not to
> wait for 2.6.25.1 (provided that your implication is correct and they
> would wait).

Or perhaps Ubuntu could learn from Debian and do releases when the
software is in a good state rather than at specific predetermined
release dates. Or fix the bugs themselves and contribute them upstream.

Strangely I find with the 2.6.24 kernel currently in Debian, the intel
wireless seemed to work great with WPA2 (at least on a 4965). Maybe
that was 2.6.24.2 or 2.6.24.3 or something. It was a couple of weeks
ago now. I haven't heard of the 4935 before.

--
Len Sorensen

2008-04-01 21:02:50

by Luca Venturini

I hope, then, that Linux 2.6.25.x stable will be out sooner than 24th
april (Hardy release date) otherwise I (and I guess also many other
people) will be in a very bad spot until the kernel is updated...(I am
not proficient enough so to compile a whole Linux kernel for my distro).
Thank you very much for your attention, in any case.
Greetings
Luca Venturini

BuraphaLinux Server ha scritto:
> intel wireless just doesn't work on linux 2.6.24.4; wait for 2.6.25.x stable.
>
> On 4/1/08, John W. Linville <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> You probably want to address this to [email protected]
>> instead...
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:40:20AM +0200, Luca Venturini wrote:
>>
>>> Using Ubuntu Hardy Beta, Linux kernel 2.6.24, AMD64.
>>> I have to connect to a campus (University of Verona, Italy; more
>>> information maybe available at https://wifi.univr.it sadly in Italian
>>>
>> only,
>>
>>> and I am not sure it is reachable from outside the university) WPA2
>>> wireless network. It uses PEAP authentication, Dynamic WEP encryption,
>>> second phase: MSCHAPv2.
>>> It also requires user login, password, and a CA certificate (available at
>>> the web page I linked above).
>>> At the same page a wpasupplicant configuration file is also available, so
>>> to allow people to connect from linux also.
>>> In Ubuntu Gutsy 32 bit (Linux kernel 2.6.22.14 if I am not mistaken) I was
>>> able to connect through NetworkManager and precisely using the GNOME
>>> nm-applet.
>>> However, since I switched to Linux 2.6.24, I have no more been able to
>>> connect, whether through NM-applet or from the command line, using
>>> wpasupplicant. The wireless functions perfectly, and there has been no
>>> change in its configuration, since I am using it now (Windows Vista,
>>> configured months ago).
>>> Reported also here on launchpad:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/209602
>>> Thank you for your attention.
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Luca Venturini
>>> --
>>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>>
>> --
>> John W. Linville
>> [email protected]
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2008-04-02 00:54:37

by Pavel Roskin

Hello, Luca!

I'm replying to your message that didn't come to be through a mailing
list. Please don't bcc: random people. It's a bad style.

Quoting Luca Venturini <[email protected]>:

> I hope, then, that Linux 2.6.25.x stable will be out sooner than 24th
> april (Hardy release date) otherwise I (and I guess also many other
> people) will be in a very bad spot until the kernel is updated...(I am
> not proficient enough so to compile a whole Linux kernel for my distro).
> Thank you very much for your attention, in any case.

2.6.25.1 will be out after the first bug is fixed in Linux 2.6.25. I
cannot promise you that any such bug would exist. Actually, I hope
that there will be no reason for 2.6.25.1 release.

In any case, putting pressure on wireless developers is not
appreciated. Maybe you should learn how to compile Linux kernels. Or
maybe you should talk to Ubuntu release engineers and ask them not to
wait for 2.6.25.1 (provided that your implication is correct and they
would wait).

Pavel Roskin

2008-04-02 19:48:08

by Pavel Roskin

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 08:24 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Strangely I find with the 2.6.24 kernel currently in Debian, the intel
> wireless seemed to work great with WPA2 (at least on a 4965). Maybe
> that was 2.6.24.2 or 2.6.24.3 or something. It was a couple of weeks
> ago now. I haven't heard of the 4935 before.

Since nobody has mentioned that, it's possible to compile the latest
wireless drivers for the current kernel (starting with 2.6.18) thanks to
the compat-wireless package:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

That should be of great help for those looking to use the latest
wireless drivers without having to recompile the currently used kernel.

Pavel Roskin