2009-12-21 15:58:50

by Florian Sesser

Subject: o11s: Modularize Path Selection Protocol etc.

Hi mesh folks!

For my diploma thesis, I want to add a P2P routing protocoll to the
pre-80211s software in the linux kernel. For details, see my previous
mails. [1],[2]

In struct ieee80211_if_mesh, the current code reads

net/mac80211/ieee80211_i.h
> u8 mesh_id[IEEE80211_MAX_MESH_ID_LEN];
> size_t mesh_id_len;
> /* Active Path Selection Protocol Identifier */
> u8 mesh_pp_id;
> /* Active Path Selection Metric Identifier */
> u8 mesh_pm_id;
> /* Congestion Control Mode Identifier */
> u8 mesh_cc_id;
> /* Synchronization Protocol Identifier */
> u8 mesh_sp_id;
> /* Authentication Protocol Identifier */
> u8 mesh_auth_id;

which is what I at first wanted to work with.

In my last patch [2], I introduced some new 32 bit struct members,
because, if I am not mistaken, these IDs should include a vendor
specific OUI, which enables a user to combine a path selection protocol
of vendor A with a path selection metric of vendor B.

So.. am I erring here?

If yes, I would introduce a new 24 bit value for the OUI, which will be
combined with all the above u8's before going over the wire (into the
air of course)
...if no, I would replace those values by 32 bit ones, possibly even
braking ABI compatibility.

What do you think?
Do you maybe have a better suggestion?

Thank you very much for your input!

Florian

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=122600107811517&w=2
[2] http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123300309207545&w=2

2009-12-22 08:44:13

by Simon Raffeiner

Subject: Re: o11s: Modularize Path Selection Protocol etc.

Am Montag, 21. Dezember 2009 17:17:29 schrieb Rui Paulo:

> This has changed quite a bit on the latest 802.11s draft standards. If you want to use your own routing protocol and to be 802.11s compliant, you need to set the path selection protocol ID to 255 and append a vendor specific information element to the management frame.

Great, so this changed again.

Is there a legal way to obtain Draft 4.0 without being a member of the 802.11 TGs? I have full access to the IEEE standards library via my university, but only Draft 3.0 has been published so far.

--

mit freundlichen Gr??en/regards
Simon Raffeiner

University of Applied Sciences Offenburg, Germany
Department of Computer Science, RoboCup Team

2009-12-21 16:17:35

by Rui Paulo

On 21 Dec 2009, at 15:50, Florian Sesser wrote:

> Hi mesh folks!
>
> For my diploma thesis, I want to add a P2P routing protocoll to the
> pre-80211s software in the linux kernel. For details, see my previous
> mails. [1],[2]
>
> In struct ieee80211_if_mesh, the current code reads
>
> net/mac80211/ieee80211_i.h
>> u8 mesh_id[IEEE80211_MAX_MESH_ID_LEN];
>> size_t mesh_id_len;
>> /* Active Path Selection Protocol Identifier */
>> u8 mesh_pp_id;
>> /* Active Path Selection Metric Identifier */
>> u8 mesh_pm_id;
>> /* Congestion Control Mode Identifier */
>> u8 mesh_cc_id;
>> /* Synchronization Protocol Identifier */
>> u8 mesh_sp_id;
>> /* Authentication Protocol Identifier */
>> u8 mesh_auth_id;
>
> which is what I at first wanted to work with.
>
> In my last patch [2], I introduced some new 32 bit struct members,
> because, if I am not mistaken, these IDs should include a vendor
> specific OUI, which enables a user to combine a path selection protocol
> of vendor A with a path selection metric of vendor B.

This has changed quite a bit on the latest 802.11s draft standards. If you want to use your own routing protocol and to be 802.11s compliant, you need to set the path selection protocol ID to 255 and append a vendor specific information element to the management frame.

> So.. am I erring here?
>
> If yes, I would introduce a new 24 bit value for the OUI, which will be
> combined with all the above u8's before going over the wire (into the
> air of course)
> ...if no, I would replace those values by 32 bit ones, possibly even
> braking ABI compatibility.
>
> What do you think?
> Do you maybe have a better suggestion?
>
> Thank you very much for your input!
>

> Florian
>
> [1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=122600107811517&w=2
> [2] http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=123300309207545&w=2

Rui Paulo

2009-12-22 11:55:52

by Florian Sesser

Hi Rui!

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will dig into the new draft ASAP.

(It is propably rude to ask for an up to date draft on this list? I
would, of course, discreetly profit from having it handy shortly...)

Greetings!

Florian

Me:
>> [...]
>> In my last patch [2], I introduced some new 32 bit struct
>> members, because, if I am not mistaken, these IDs should include a
>> vendor specific OUI, which enables a user to combine a path
>> selection protocol of vendor A with a path selection metric of
>> vendor B.

Rui: