2010-09-29 13:00:04

by Walter Goldens

Subject: [BUG] compat: broken driver-select always compiles ath6kl & brcm80211

Latest compat-wireless manifests a bug when "scripts/driver-select" is invoked. Regardless of which driver is selected (zd1211rw for example), ath6kl and brcm80211 are always compiled along with the designated module of choice.

I tried looking in to it, but don't really have time. Perhaps someone would like to investigate.

Walter.

2010-09-30 15:33:54

by Michael Griepentrog

driver-select currently doesn't modify the Makefiles of drivers in
staging, so they will always be built. You should be able to disable
those drivers from being built by editing your kernel config to enable
CONFIG_STAGING_EXCLUDE_BUILD and/or disabling CONFIG_STAGING.

If we want something to work within the confines of driver-select, we
could place a Makefile in drivers/staging and apply the same policies
that driver-select does to the drivers/net/wireless Makefile. It
wouldn't be very useful as it would always remove the contents of the
Makefile, but if modules in staging were built against something other
than CONFIG_COMPAT_STAGING, it could be used to add brcm80211 to the
list supported drivers for driver-select.

--
Michael

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Walter Goldens
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Latest compat-wireless manifests a bug when "scripts/driver-select" is invoked. Regardless of which driver is selected (zd1211rw for example), ?ath6kl and brcm80211 are always compiled along with the designated module of choice.
>
> I tried looking in to it, but don't really have time. Perhaps someone would like to investigate.
>
> Walter.

> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2010-10-01 17:54:06

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Michael Griepentrog
<[email protected]> wrote:
> driver-select currently doesn't modify the Makefiles of drivers in
> staging, so they will always be built.

I've now disabled staging crap for every driver-select option except
ones that want staging crap.

Luis