2012-05-29 18:13:38

by Jean-Pierre TOSONI

Subject: Power save state while scanning on-channel vs performance

Hello all,

I am using an OpenWrt eth/wifi 802.11n bridge (with AR9160). In order to
test performance during scan, I configured the wpa_supplicant so that it
is scanning the current channel every second.

I used to use compat-wireless-2011-08-26.
With it, I was able to do an IPERF / UDP at 110 Mbps without loss (from
client to AP).

I recently updated to compat-wireless-2012-04-17;
now IPERF loses frames even when limited to 40 Mbps (from client to AP).
Using the Wireshark sniffer I noticed that each time mac80211 sends a
scan probe, it switches the client to power save mode for as long as 130
ms.

Can someone tell me if the power save mode is related to the data loss,
or is there something I am missing here ?

Thanks,

Jean-Pierre Tosoni