2023-01-16 14:50:03

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

Hi,

the Linux Foundation will apply again as mentoring organization in this
year's Google Summer of Code.

Note that GSoC 2023 will have a slight difference against last year. Now
contributors are eligible either when they are newcomers in free
software OR they are students. This gives more people the chance to do a
Google Summer of Code project.

All the rest is as last year, especially choice between 2 project sizes
and flexibility with the end of the coding period.

On January, 2023 the application period for mentoring organizations for
the Google Summer of Code 2023 will start.

To be successful, we need a rich project idea list so that we will get
selected by Google.

I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
participation in the Google Summer of Code 2023:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2023

Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. Also remove
project ideas which are already done in one of the previous years or not
needed any more and make sure that all contact info is up-to-date and
all links are working.

Make sure to not talk about "students", but about "contributors"
instead. I have, at least partially, taken care of this when I have
copied your sub-group pages from last year.

Also make sure to remove the "**To be updated**" phrase after having
updated your project ideas.

If you have problems mail me with your project ideas and other editing
wishes.

The ideas list is in the Linux Foundation Wiki. If you want to edit and
did not have the edit rights already from previous years, please tell me
and I give you edit rights. I need your Linux Foundation user name for
that and the e-mail address associated with this account for this.

Please also take into account that the deadline for our application as
mentoring organization is Feb 7 and after that Google will evaluate the
applications. So have your ideas (at least most of them, ideas can be
posted up to the contributor application deadline) in by then to raise
our chances to get accepted.

Please also tell us if you do not want to participate any more with your
workgroup, so that we can remove your sub-page.

Till

2023-01-16 18:02:27

by Ian Rogers

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 6:17 AM Till Kamppeter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the Linux Foundation will apply again as mentoring organization in this
> year's Google Summer of Code.
>
> Note that GSoC 2023 will have a slight difference against last year. Now
> contributors are eligible either when they are newcomers in free
> software OR they are students. This gives more people the chance to do a
> Google Summer of Code project.

Hi Till,

This is great news! Could you clarify the "newcomers in free software"
a bit. Is it the same as last year? Last year we had somebody working
in a closed source environment who applied because they had only a few
years experience and had never sent patches to LKML. We also had
somebody working for a tech giant but in a managerial role, who wanted
to work on some open source software. Beside the challenge of trying
to fit open source work in with a day job, we decided that the
candidates didn't fit the idea of newcomer and so weren't eligible for
the GSoC funding. We offered to help them outside of GSoC but none
accepted that.

Thanks,
Ian

> All the rest is as last year, especially choice between 2 project sizes
> and flexibility with the end of the coding period.
>
> On January, 2023 the application period for mentoring organizations for
> the Google Summer of Code 2023 will start.
>
> To be successful, we need a rich project idea list so that we will get
> selected by Google.
>
> I have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
> participation in the Google Summer of Code 2023:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2023
>
> Please add your ideas to the sub-page of your work group. Also remove
> project ideas which are already done in one of the previous years or not
> needed any more and make sure that all contact info is up-to-date and
> all links are working.
>
> Make sure to not talk about "students", but about "contributors"
> instead. I have, at least partially, taken care of this when I have
> copied your sub-group pages from last year.
>
> Also make sure to remove the "**To be updated**" phrase after having
> updated your project ideas.
>
> If you have problems mail me with your project ideas and other editing
> wishes.
>
> The ideas list is in the Linux Foundation Wiki. If you want to edit and
> did not have the edit rights already from previous years, please tell me
> and I give you edit rights. I need your Linux Foundation user name for
> that and the e-mail address associated with this account for this.
>
> Please also take into account that the deadline for our application as
> mentoring organization is Feb 7 and after that Google will evaluate the
> applications. So have your ideas (at least most of them, ideas can be
> posted up to the contributor application deadline) in by then to raise
> our chances to get accepted.
>
> Please also tell us if you do not want to participate any more with your
> workgroup, so that we can remove your sub-page.
>
> Till

2023-01-16 19:16:01

by Till Kamppeter

On 16/01/2023 14:28, Ian Rogers wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> This is great news! Could you clarify the "newcomers in free software"
> a bit. Is it the same as last year? Last year we had somebody working
> in a closed source environment who applied because they had only a few
> years experience and had never sent patches to LKML. We also had
> somebody working for a tech giant but in a managerial role, who wanted
> to work on some open source software. Beside the challenge of trying
> to fit open source work in with a day job, we decided that the
> candidates didn't fit the idea of newcomer and so weren't eligible for
> the GSoC funding. We offered to help them outside of GSoC but none
> accepted that.
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

"Newcomer" means newcomer in free software coding not newcomer in IT in
general, so people who have only worked in closed-source before or
people who were only managing in open-source but not coding are
eligible. I assume, but do not know, that Googlers will google for free
software coding activity (e. g. commits in project repositories) to
determine whether a contributor is eligible.

There is also a rule that one contributor can be GSoC contributor a
maximum of 2 times, but I do not know whether this is also valid for
newcomers, as with the first participation you got already free software
experience and a certain commit history. Perhaps a 1-year experience is
still tolerated.

So your last year's candidates should be eligible.

Till