2011-01-03 16:06:09

by Brzezowski, Karen

Subject: wl1271 status/update

Hi Luca, and all of you working on the wl1271 driver..

I'm quite confused as to the status of it...
I've never used these emailings before and have not
done any porting of drivers to linux.......
I sent an email to Luca and this mailing list a few weeks ago
and lots has been happening with wl1271..but i'm not sure
what to do with all the information...

talk has been about compat-wireless, etc..

Could someone please tell me what I should/need to do
to get the wl1271 driver into our android? it is based on 2.2 android
and 2.6.31 linux(ubuntu) for the imx233....

Sorry to be such a pain. All of you are so smart!!!!!!!!
And I appreciate ANY help/information to get me going......
Thanks!
Karen

2011-01-03 17:24:11

by Ohad Ben Cohen

Subject: Re: wl1271 status/update

Hi Karen,

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Brzezowski, Karen
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I see things about compat-wireless, mac80211, sdio runtime pm support,
> lenient generic runtime pm callbacks,
> etc..
>
> I don't really understand.. do i need all of this for wl1271...

compat-wireless will build you the mac80211 layer and the wl1271
driver as external modules.

Normally that should have been enough, but in order to support the
SDIO interface of the wl1271 we had to change a few stuff in the
kernel (mainly add runtime PM support into the SDIO subsystem).

Those changes were merged into 2.6.37, so users of older kernels have
to backport them manually. Here's the list of items you need:

* SDIO runtime PM (11 patches)
* The "lenient pm callbacks" patch (a really small and trivial patch)
* "wl12xx: add platform data passing support" (that one is not
mentioned in the wiki yet for some reason, here's its link:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg34839.html)

But if you're using 2.6.31 you may need other stuff too.. E.g. I'm not
sure that SDIO suspend/resume even made it to 2.6.31 at all...

> is there any high level documentation as to how wl1271 fits into linux/android?

Hmm.. the wiki ? :)

Regards,
Ohad.

2011-01-03 18:12:26

by Elvis Dowson

On Jan 3, 2011, at 8:02 PM, Brzezowski, Karen wrote:

> talk has been about compat-wireless, etc..

I tried this briefly and abandoned it, because the android-2.6.32 kernel code base is
different from the run-time pm sdio patch set that's published on the wl1271 wiki site.

I managed to get the proprietary ti wilink 6.1.0.0 working with an arago-omappsp-03.00.00.05-kernel.

But for some reason, when compiling it against the android-2.6.32 (rowboat-eclair-2.6.32 kernel)
it gives some sdio related errors. I'm still working on it.

the wl1271 wlan driver in the android kernel didn't work, possibly for the same reason that the wilink-6.1.0.0
driver didn't work with the android kernel.

I mean, one would think that its already been made to work, i.e. rowboat-eclair-2.6.32 kernel + android-2.2 wl1271 driver
but that is so far from the truth.

Elvis Dowson

2011-01-03 17:03:37

by Brzezowski, Karen

Thank you Ohad!

I have been looking at this wiki and am confused as to what i exactly
need...

I see things about compat-wireless, mac80211, sdio runtime pm support,
lenient generic runtime pm callbacks,
etc..

I don't really understand.. do i need all of this for wl1271...
is there any high level documentation as to how wl1271 fits into linux/android?

i understand that wl1271 is a chip from TI that supports WLAN, FM, and BT,
but how that equates to what needs to go into linux/android, I'm not understanding...

:-)
Karen
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Brzezowski, Karen
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm quite confused as to the status of it...
> And I appreciate ANY help/information to get me going......

Check out our wiki - it has lots of status and porting information for
the wl12xx driver:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx

Regards,
Ohad.