2011-02-24 14:02:09

by Joerg

Subject: IBSS and 802.11i (RSN) with mac80211

Hello all,
some time ago there were some patches that seem to imply that 802.11i is now
possible. Unfortunately I could not find any documentation on how to set this up
and how to test it.
Can somebody please either point me to some existing documentation on the topic
or write a small HOWTO?

Thanks in advance
Joerg

2011-02-24 14:50:14

by Joerg

Subject: AW: IBSS and 802.11i (RSN) with mac80211

Johannes,
thanks for the almost instant reply. I'll give this a try!

Joerg

----- Johannes Berg wrote ----

> 1) Check that iw reports that you can do it (I just now committed code
> to iw to report it since you asked, so use git version, which will
> become 0.9.23 at some point in the future)
>
> 2) get git version of wpa_supplicant, compile with CONFIG_IBSS_RSN and
> use a config file like this:
>
> ap_scan=2
> network={
> ssid="your SSID"
> mode=1
> frequency=2412
> proto=RSN
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> psk="your secret key!! :-)"
> }
>

> If you find a good place, maybe you can add it to the wiki?
>
> Note that wpa_supplicant currently doesn't reject the config if the
> driver doesn't support it, but it won't work.
>
> If you want to make your driver support it, the easiest way is to
> implement something like I did for iwlwifi:
>
> commit 274102a8a2a4a0b67c401b75a96694db76cfc701
> Author: Johannes Berg <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue Jan 18 04:44:03 2011 -0800
>
> iwlwifi: support RSN IBSS
>

> johannes

2011-02-24 14:21:29

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: IBSS and 802.11i (RSN) with mac80211

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 15:18 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 14:01 +0000, jpo234 wrote:
>
> > Can somebody please either point me to some existing documentation on the topic
> > or write a small HOWTO?
>
> 1) Check that iw reports that you can do it (I just now committed code
> to iw to report it since you asked, so use git version, which will
> become 0.9.23 at some point in the future)

FWIW, I think iwlwifi is still the only driver that has hw crypto and
supports it right now.

johannes

2011-02-24 14:18:30

by Johannes Berg