2009-03-17 22:26:21

by Charles Gordon

Subject: Support for country information

I'm writing a wireless driver that will use mac80211. I am developing
with a 2.6.28-00106 version kernel. I took a look at the files in
net/mac80211 and I don't see any code that looks at the country
element in beacons and probe responses. Am I missing something? Does
mac80211 handle country specific settings and regulatory domains? If
so, could you please tell me where I can find that code? I need to
figure out how to support 802.11j. If country specific information is
not supported at present, do you have a plan for when it will be?

Also, does mac80211 handle 802.11a action messages like the ones to
change channels?

Thanks for you help.

2009-03-17 22:32:36

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: Support for country information

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 18:26 -0400, Charles Gordon wrote:
> I'm writing a wireless driver that will use mac80211. I am developing
> with a 2.6.28-00106 version kernel.

First of all, let me say that this is a mistake. The API is
ever-evolving, and you want to develop against wireless-testing.

> I took a look at the files in
> net/mac80211 and I don't see any code that looks at the country
> element in beacons and probe responses. Am I missing something? Does
> mac80211 handle country specific settings and regulatory domains? If
> so, could you please tell me where I can find that code? I need to
> figure out how to support 802.11j. If country specific information is
> not supported at present, do you have a plan for when it will be?

It is handled in cfg80211, in net/wireless/, in recent wireless-testing
trees.

> Also, does mac80211 handle 802.11a action messages like the ones to
> change channels?

Yes, CSA is supported afaik, also only recently. See my first
sentence :)

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2009-03-18 00:07:42

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Johannes Berg
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 18:26 -0400, Charles Gordon wrote:
>> I'm writing a wireless driver that will use mac80211. =C2=A0I am dev=
eloping
>> with a 2.6.28-00106 version kernel.
>
> First of all, let me say that this is a mistake. The API is
> ever-evolving, and you want to develop against wireless-testing.

I'll add that if you are stuck on 2.6.28, then at least work off of
wireless-testing and consider compiling the modules on the systems
that are stuck on older kernels using compat-wireless [1]. This would
allow you to work using wireless-testing and get your 2.6.28 systems a
shiny new wireless system.

[1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

Luis