2009-10-20 14:10:02

by Charles Gordon

Subject: Rate information in ad-hoc and mesh mode

I notice that the ieee80211_ioctl_giwrate function in wext.c only
returns rate information for stations associated to an AP. It does
not return rate information for stations operating in ad-hoc mode or
as a mesh point. Is there a reason this function is not supported in
those modes? Is this a deliberate decision or just an oversight?

Thanks for your help.

2009-10-20 15:41:09

by Charles Gordon

Subject: Re: Rate information in ad-hoc and mesh mode

I am using version 2.6.28 of the kernel. We are using our own
wireless driver. However, the problem does not appear to be in the
driver. The iw utility uses the SIOCGIWRATE ioctl to get rate
information. This ioctl is handled by the ieee80211_ioctl_giwrate
function in net/mac80211/wext.c in the 2.6.28 version of the kernel.
This function returns immediately if sdata->vif.type !=
NL80211_IFTYPE_STATION, which will be the case for ad-hoc mode.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Holger Schurig
<[email protected]> wrote:
>> I notice that the ieee80211_ioctl_giwrate function in wext.c only
>> returns rate information for stations associated to an AP. ?It does
>> not return rate information for stations operating in ad-hoc mode or
>> as a mesh point. ?Is there a reason this function is not supported in
>> those modes? ?Is this a deliberate decision or just an oversight?
>
> You need to give more context. What driver, what kernel?
>

> A quick
>
> ? ack-grep ieee80211_ioctl_giwrate include/net include/linux \
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?net/wireless net/mac80211 \
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?drivers/net/wireless
>
> didn't reveal the function you've mentioned, at least not in the
> current wireless-testing kernel.
>
> --
> http://www.holgerschurig.de

2009-10-20 15:14:54

by Holger Schurig

> I notice that the ieee80211_ioctl_giwrate function in wext.c only
> returns rate information for stations associated to an AP. It does
> not return rate information for stations operating in ad-hoc mode or
> as a mesh point. Is there a reason this function is not supported in
> those modes? Is this a deliberate decision or just an oversight?

You need to give more context. What driver, what kernel?

A quick

ack-grep ieee80211_ioctl_giwrate include/net include/linux \
net/wireless net/mac80211 \
drivers/net/wireless

didn't reveal the function you've mentioned, at least not in the
current wireless-testing kernel.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de

2009-10-21 01:10:46

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 10:10 -0400, Charles Gordon wrote:
> I notice that the ieee80211_ioctl_giwrate function in wext.c only
> returns rate information for stations associated to an AP. It does
> not return rate information for stations operating in ad-hoc mode or
> as a mesh point. Is there a reason this function is not supported in
> those modes? Is this a deliberate decision or just an oversight?

The former -- there's no single rate when you're talking to multiple
peers. "iw wlan0 station dump" would show you the information for each
station.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (801.00 B)