2007-08-16 16:59:54

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: mac80211 AP mode powersaving problems?

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 09:41 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:

> I have yet to see (maybe I am just blind), except for a very sparse
> smattering of examples, a description of how mac80211 is intended to
> be used. I've never needed hostapd for master-mode before.

That is, I expect, because you had a device that handled all that in
hardware/firmware. We now handle many MLME things in software, and have
pushed it out of the kernel into userspace.

> I am
> not even sure what it does.

It handles everything from association to encryption etc.

> Is there somewhere I should be looking
> for user-level documentation?

http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/
But I think you need git version to compile against the current
wireless-dev 'everything' branch.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-08-16 18:37:08

by Russell Senior

Russell> Is there somewhere I should be looking for user-level
Russell> documentation?

Johannes> http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/

Sorry, I meant user-level documentation for using the mac80211 stuff,
not hostapd specifically.

--
Russell Senior ``I have nine fingers; you have ten.''

by Johannes Berg

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 11:37 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:

> Sorry, I meant user-level documentation for using the mac80211 stuff,
> not hostapd specifically.

Oh. Well, I don't think there really is anything. But there isn't much
to know either, for WPA or AP mode you need wpa_supplicant or hostapd
respectively, and everything else should just work.