2023-04-23 09:11:03

by Uwe Kleine-König

Subject: iwlwifi in German ICE4 trains

Hello Gregory,

there is a thread on [email protected][1] about
broken wifi on Thinkpads when they are supposed to be connected to the
hotspots available in ICE4 trains. The mailing lists language is German
and the thread is long, so I sum up the problem:

- It only affects the wifi equipment in ICE4 trains, the older ones work
fine.

- Can be seen at least on
- J?rgen's laptop (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
- Marc's Thinkpad X260 (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
- Uwe's Thinkpad T460p (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))

- Other Thinkpads with a Realtek-Chip doesn't show the problem

- Works on puppy-Linux with 4.19.23, however Debian with 4.19.0-18 is
also broken.

- The OP provided a syslog dump at
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[email protected]

I don't reproduce it here, but the gist seems to be:

Jun 23 15:44:53 lina kernel: [ 1006.011129] wlp1s0: deauthenticated from 3c:51:0e:56:32:80 (Reason: 2=PREV_AUTH_NOT_VALID)

- it seems to help to do:
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=0 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0
options iwlmvm power_scheme=1
options iwlwifi d0i3_disable=1
options iwlwifi uapsd_disable=1
options iwlwifi lar_disable=1

I added all participants of said thread to Cc, in case I forgot
something relevant.

Tomorrow I might have the opportunity to test and reproduce the problem
(I don't know if my train will be an ice4 or one of the older ones
though.)

I wonder if there is something you want me to test. Without further
input I will try with the modprobe options and check for a minimal
subset of them that makes the problem disappear.

Is there something I can do to make the problem better understandable
for someone who knows about the hardware? Or to find out the critical
detail about the wifi hotspot that triggers the problem?

Best regards
Uwe

[1] https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[email protected]

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-K?nig |
Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.22 kB)
signature.asc (499.00 B)

by Greenman, Gregory

Subject: Re: iwlwifi in German ICE4 trains

On Sun, 2023-04-23 at 10:55 +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Hello Gregory,
>
> there is a thread on [email protected][1] about
> broken wifi on Thinkpads when they are supposed to be connected to the
> hotspots available in ICE4 trains. The mailing lists language is German
> and the thread is long, so I sum up the problem:
>
> - It only affects the wifi equipment in ICE4 trains, the older ones work
>   fine.
>
> - Can be seen at least on
>   - Jürgen's laptop (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
>   - Marc's Thinkpad X260 (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
>   - Uwe's Thinkpad T460p (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
>
> - Other Thinkpads with a Realtek-Chip doesn't show the problem
>
> - Works on puppy-Linux with 4.19.23, however Debian with 4.19.0-18 is
>   also broken.
>
> - The OP provided a syslog dump at
>   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[email protected]
>
>   I don't reproduce it here, but the gist seems to be:
>
>         Jun 23 15:44:53 lina kernel: [ 1006.011129] wlp1s0: deauthenticated from 3c:51:0e:56:32:80 (Reason: 2=PREV_AUTH_NOT_VALID)
>
> - it seems to help to do:
>   $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
>   options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=0 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0
>   options iwlmvm power_scheme=1
>   options iwlwifi d0i3_disable=1
>   options iwlwifi uapsd_disable=1
>   options iwlwifi lar_disable=1
>
> I added all participants of said thread to Cc, in case I forgot
> something relevant.
>
> Tomorrow I might have the opportunity to test and reproduce the problem
> (I don't know if my train will be an ice4 or one of the older ones
> though.)
>
> I wonder if there is something you want me to test. Without further
> input I will try with the modprobe options and check for a minimal
> subset of them that makes the problem disappear.
>
> Is there something I can do to make the problem better understandable
> for someone who knows about the hardware? Or to find out the critical
> detail about the wifi hotspot that triggers the problem?
>
> Best regards
> Uwe
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[email protected]

Hi Uwe,

Based on the log, I can understand that it had successfully connected to the AP
(supplicant management interface state: associating -> completed); then there're some DHCP errors
and eventually the AP sends a deauth. It's hard to say what can cause it, but if you'll be able
to reproduce the issue, it'd be great if you could collect a trace-cmd dump with this command:
sudo trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi -e mac80211 -e cfg80211 -e iwlwifi_msg
It'll be also helpfull if you'll be able to say which specific modprobe option fixes the issue.

Thanks,
Gregory

2023-04-23 22:41:03

by Toke Høiland-Jørgensen

"Greenman, Gregory" <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sun, 2023-04-23 at 10:55 +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>> Hello Gregory,
>>
>> there is a thread on [email protected][1] about
>> broken wifi on Thinkpads when they are supposed to be connected to the
>> hotspots available in ICE4 trains. The mailing lists language is German
>> and the thread is long, so I sum up the problem:
>>
>> - It only affects the wifi equipment in ICE4 trains, the older ones work
>>   fine.
>>
>> - Can be seen at least on
>>   - Jürgen's laptop (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
>>   - Marc's Thinkpad X260 (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
>>   - Uwe's Thinkpad T460p (Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a))
>>
>> - Other Thinkpads with a Realtek-Chip doesn't show the problem
>>
>> - Works on puppy-Linux with 4.19.23, however Debian with 4.19.0-18 is
>>   also broken.
>>
>> - The OP provided a syslog dump at
>>   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[email protected]
>>
>>   I don't reproduce it here, but the gist seems to be:
>>
>>         Jun 23 15:44:53 lina kernel: [ 1006.011129] wlp1s0: deauthenticated from 3c:51:0e:56:32:80 (Reason: 2=PREV_AUTH_NOT_VALID)
>>
>> - it seems to help to do:
>>   $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
>>   options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=0 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0
>>   options iwlmvm power_scheme=1
>>   options iwlwifi d0i3_disable=1
>>   options iwlwifi uapsd_disable=1
>>   options iwlwifi lar_disable=1
>>
>> I added all participants of said thread to Cc, in case I forgot
>> something relevant.
>>
>> Tomorrow I might have the opportunity to test and reproduce the problem
>> (I don't know if my train will be an ice4 or one of the older ones
>> though.)
>>
>> I wonder if there is something you want me to test. Without further
>> input I will try with the modprobe options and check for a minimal
>> subset of them that makes the problem disappear.
>>
>> Is there something I can do to make the problem better understandable
>> for someone who knows about the hardware? Or to find out the critical
>> detail about the wifi hotspot that triggers the problem?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Uwe
>>
>> [1] https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[email protected]
>>

> Hi Uwe,
>
> Based on the log, I can understand that it had successfully connected
> to the AP (supplicant management interface state: associating ->
> completed); then there're some DHCP errors and eventually the AP sends
> a deauth.

If it's DHCP failing it could be an issue with multicast traffic? I've
definitely seen multicast failing on busy networks because it is set to
too low a rate and gets overwhelmed, which leads to DHCP (and ARP)
failures while unicast traffic works fine.

It's probably not (only) a network issue if it works fine with other
drivers, but maybe there's some kind of interaction between the driver
and multicast? Just a thought :)

-Toke

2023-04-24 04:28:51

by Uwe Kleine-König

Hello Gregory,

first of all: thanks for your prompt response.

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 01:06:45PM +0000, Greenman, Gregory wrote:
> Based on the log, I can understand that it had successfully connected to the AP
> (supplicant management interface state: associating -> completed);
> then there're some DHCP errors and eventually the AP sends a deauth.
> It's hard to say what can cause it, but if you'll be able to reproduce
> the issue, it'd be great if you could collect a trace-cmd dump with
> this command:
> sudo trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi -e mac80211 -e cfg80211 -e iwlwifi_msg

Done, see https://www.kleine-koenig.org/tmp/20230424-trace.dat for the
resulting trace.dat file.

> It'll be also helpfull if you'll be able to say which specific
> modprobe option fixes the issue.

The relevant one is
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-K?nig |
Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.01 kB)
signature.asc (499.00 B)

by Marc Haber

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 10:55:10AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> Tomorrow I might have the opportunity to test and reproduce the problem
> (I don't know if my train will be an ice4 or one of the older ones
> though.)

I can look up in advance what kind of train is planned for a certain
journey, I need train number and date for that. About one day in advance
I can say which EMU is planned for the trip.

I am also on Deutsche Bahn's customer advisory board ("Kundenbeirat"),
but I must say that Deutsche Bahn is not very enthusiastic in helping
with this issue. I do, however, have a quite direct link to the project
managers involved with Wifi On ICE. They seem to be keeping a close
guard over their tech staff though.

Thanks to all participants on this thread and issue on the Linux side,
we would not have come this far without your help.

Also, our current "fix" for the issue seems to have the side effect of
limiting the home network connection to 54 Mbit/s.

Greetings
Marc

Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402
Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

2023-09-21 19:31:25

by Uwe Kleine-König

Hello Gregory,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 06:21:38AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-K?nig wrote:
> first of all: thanks for your prompt response.
>
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 01:06:45PM +0000, Greenman, Gregory wrote:
> > Based on the log, I can understand that it had successfully connected to the AP
> > (supplicant management interface state: associating -> completed);
> > then there're some DHCP errors and eventually the AP sends a deauth.
> > It's hard to say what can cause it, but if you'll be able to reproduce
> > the issue, it'd be great if you could collect a trace-cmd dump with
> > this command:
> > sudo trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi -e mac80211 -e cfg80211 -e iwlwifi_msg
>
> Done, see https://www.kleine-koenig.org/tmp/20230424-trace.dat for the
> resulting trace.dat file.
>
> > It'll be also helpfull if you'll be able to say which specific
> > modprobe option fixes the issue.
>
> The relevant one is
> options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

I wonder if there is something I can do, to fix this problem. Did you
look into it? Is there something I could do to help you understand the
actual problem?

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-K?nig |
Industrial Linux Solutions | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.27 kB)
signature.asc (499.00 B)

by Marc Haber

Hi,

I still have the problem in all ICE 4 trains with my notebook.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 06:21:35AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> first of all: thanks for your prompt response.
>
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 01:06:45PM +0000, Greenman, Gregory wrote:
> > Based on the log, I can understand that it had successfully connected to the AP
> > (supplicant management interface state: associating -> completed);
> > then there're some DHCP errors and eventually the AP sends a deauth.
> > It's hard to say what can cause it, but if you'll be able to reproduce
> > the issue, it'd be great if you could collect a trace-cmd dump with
> > this command:
> > sudo trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi -e mac80211 -e cfg80211 -e iwlwifi_msg
>
> Done, see https://www.kleine-koenig.org/tmp/20230424-trace.dat for the
> resulting trace.dat file.

Would a trace.dat from my notebook help?

> > It'll be also helpfull if you'll be able to say which specific
> > modprobe option fixes the issue.
>
> The relevant one is
> options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

This is unfortunately an option that you don't want in effect all the
time as it reduces Wifi performance at home to 11g/11a typical 54