2012-07-25 02:37:37

by Ben Gamari

Subject: iwl5300 very slow with excessive Tx retries

My home network is hosted by hostapd (with HT enabled) on a
Ubiquiti SR-71-E (supported by ath9k). My laptop (running Ubuntu 12.04
with kernel 3.2.0, I can try 3.4 soon) has an iwl5300 (8086:4235) and
sadly performs quite poorly in transmission. Namely, a large transfer
over SSH will run at around 1.5 MB/s with iwconfig showing the
following,

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"LittleGreenMen"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422 GHz Access Point: 00:15:6D:85:22:E2
Bit Rate=39 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=55/70 Signal level=-55 dBm

Note the high "Tx excessive retries" quantity, which increases at the
rate of about 1000 per second during the transfer. The "Invalid misc"
quantity also increases although at a much more modest rate.

A bit of Googling shows that I am not the first person to experience
this issue, with others reporting improvement after disabling power
management (iwconfig wlan0 power off) and disabling 11n (with the
11n_disable=1 module option). While the former changes nothing in my
case, disabling 11n stops the runaway Tx retries, although "invalid
misc" events remain and throughput does not improve.

Any ideas what might be causing this poor performance?

Cheers,

- Ben