2011-11-03 22:40:00

by Dmitry Tarnyagin

Subject: A new driver is going to be released

Hi,

I'm about to release cw1200 driver to the community (more or less
latest code is available here:
http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
as well).

Technical question: how is it usually done in terms of commit history?
Should I preserve the history and release all the changes in the
driver separately or should I squash everything to a single commit
or...?

Thank you and with best regards,
Dmitry

2011-11-04 05:32:58

by Dmitry Tarnyagin

Subject: Re: A new driver is going to be released

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> It looks like it's mac80211-based and already in drivers/staging/
> according to the git tree Dmitry pointed to.

Correct. But I would move it to drivers/net/wireless during submission.

2011-11-04 08:12:23

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 06:32 +0100, Dmitry Tarnyagin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:01 AM, Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> > It looks like it's mac80211-based and already in drivers/staging/
> > according to the git tree Dmitry pointed to.
> >
> Correct. But I would move it to drivers/net/wireless during submission.

A word of caution: don't attempt that in its current state.

johannes

2011-11-04 08:06:17

by Kalle Valo

Dmitry Tarnyagin <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm about to release cw1200 driver to the community

Nice!

> (more or less latest code is available here:
> http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
> as well).

I can't access it. I get "404 - Reading tree failed" when I try to
access the tree through gitweb:

http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=tree;h=%5Crefs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500;hb=%5Crefs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500

--
Kalle Valo

2011-11-04 09:10:04

by Dmitry Tarnyagin

Hi Johannes,

>> Correct. But I would move it to drivers/net/wireless during submission.
>
> A word of caution: don't attempt that in its current state.

Thank you for caution. CONFIG_CW1200_USE_STE_EXTENSIONS,
CONFIG_WAKELOCK and HAS_PUT_TASK_STRUCT will be removed
of course, API will be aligned with 3.1. But I'm a bit curious what else could
prevent from submission to drivers/net/wireless? I do not see obvious problems
with code. Could you please give a short advise what should be fixed then if you
see problems?

Thank you and with best regards,
Dmitry

2011-11-04 02:01:07

by Dan Williams

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 20:09 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 05:40 PM, Dmitry Tarnyagin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm about to release cw1200 driver to the community (more or less
> > latest code is available here:
> > http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
> > as well).
> >
> > Technical question: how is it usually done in terms of commit history?
> > Should I preserve the history and release all the changes in the
> > driver separately or should I squash everything to a single commit
> > or...?
>
> The details of what it took to get your driver to this point are not going to be
> of much interest in the future. The "official" history starts with acceptance
> into the kernel. Two things to keep in mind: (1) the kernel source must compile
> at each step of the way to allow for bisection, thus any changes to Kconfig and
> Makefile must be in the last patch, and (2) each commit should be small enough
> that it is relatively easy to review.
>
> As I do not know the complexity of the driver, it is a little difficult to make
> suggestions; however, one way to accomplish the above is to add each source file
> in a separate patch. The maintainer may submit the final version as a single
> commit, but that is their choice.
>
> Your sending this mail to the wireless ML indicates that you plan to submit the
> driver to the drivers/net/wireless/ part of the source tree. As long as the
> driver employs mac80211, that is appropriate. The other option is
> drivers/staging/. Drivers for that section of the source tree usually are not
> held to standards as high as the wireless section.

It looks like it's mac80211-based and already in drivers/staging/
according to the git tree Dmitry pointed to.

Dan

2011-11-04 09:20:18

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 10:10 +0100, Dmitry Tarnyagin wrote:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> >> Correct. But I would move it to drivers/net/wireless during submission.
> >
> > A word of caution: don't attempt that in its current state.
> >
> Thank you for caution. CONFIG_CW1200_USE_STE_EXTENSIONS,
> CONFIG_WAKELOCK and HAS_PUT_TASK_STRUCT will be removed
> of course, API will be aligned with 3.1. But I'm a bit curious what else could
> prevent from submission to drivers/net/wireless? I do not see obvious problems
> with code. Could you please give a short advise what should be fixed then if you
> see problems?

Well there is a ton of stuff like compat code too. Also, for example the
worker thread is pretty strange -- kthread_create() is essentially
deprecated, and having a thread to handle interrupts is weird to start
with.

johannes

2011-11-04 01:10:02

by Larry Finger

On 11/03/2011 05:40 PM, Dmitry Tarnyagin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to release cw1200 driver to the community (more or less
> latest code is available here:
> http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
> as well).
>
> Technical question: how is it usually done in terms of commit history?
> Should I preserve the history and release all the changes in the
> driver separately or should I squash everything to a single commit
> or...?

The details of what it took to get your driver to this point are not going to be
of much interest in the future. The "official" history starts with acceptance
into the kernel. Two things to keep in mind: (1) the kernel source must compile
at each step of the way to allow for bisection, thus any changes to Kconfig and
Makefile must be in the last patch, and (2) each commit should be small enough
that it is relatively easy to review.

As I do not know the complexity of the driver, it is a little difficult to make
suggestions; however, one way to accomplish the above is to add each source file
in a separate patch. The maintainer may submit the final version as a single
commit, but that is their choice.

Your sending this mail to the wireless ML indicates that you plan to submit the
driver to the drivers/net/wireless/ part of the source tree. As long as the
driver employs mac80211, that is appropriate. The other option is
drivers/staging/. Drivers for that section of the source tree usually are not
held to standards as high as the wireless section.

Please be certain that all code submitted passes all tests cleanly including
checkpatch, sparse including endianess, and smatch.

Good luck,

Larry

2011-11-04 09:13:28

by Vitaly Wool

Hi Kalle,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> (more or less latest code is available here:
>> http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
>> as well).
>
> I can't access it. I get "404 - Reading tree failed" when I try to
> access the tree through gitweb:
>
> http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=tree;h=%5Crefs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500;hb=%5Crefs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500

I have a feeling that your mailer screws up the links because I can
access the tree using the one above but not the one that you get.

Thanks,
Vitaly

2011-11-04 14:54:08

by Larry Finger

On 11/03/2011 09:01 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

> It looks like it's mac80211-based and already in drivers/staging/
> according to the git tree Dmitry pointed to.

A staging driver in a private tree is not the same as one in GregKH's staging
tree. As this cw1200 driver has been seen by a limited number of developers, it
needs to be submitted to staging in mainline before an attempt is made to
convert it to the regular tree.

Larry

2011-11-04 09:18:31

by Kalle Valo

Vitaly Wool <[email protected]> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> (more or less latest code is available here:
>>> http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
>>> as well).
>>
>> I can't access it. I get "404 - Reading tree failed" when I try to
>> access the tree through gitweb:
>>
>> http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=tree;h=%5Crefs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500;hb=%5Crefs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
>
> I have a feeling that your mailer screws up the links because I can
> access the tree using the one above but not the one that you get.

That was it, there was one extra '\'. Should have figured out that
myself, thanks.

--
Kalle Valo

2012-02-28 06:25:05