2008-06-18 15:21:43

by Bernhard Reiter

Subject: 802.11 pccard, Agere 0x0156,0x0003?

[Greg gave me the hint to ask here. Please CC me on relevant replies. No need
to further include him, unless this should go up on the "DriverNeeded" page
later I presume.]

Sitting here a pc card wireless land adapter.
id 0x0156, 0x0003, which probably makes it an Agere card.
cardctl info says:
"Wireless PC Card Model 0110"

We bought it quite a while ago under the tradename Lancom Airlancer MC-11
from Lancom Systems.
http://www.lancom-systems.de/AirLancer-MC-11b.117.0.html

Background: We bought it because we thought it has a supported chipset based
on the old orinocco driver. The vendor announces "linux" supported, but this
turned out to be only a driver for Linux 2.4.x.
Some old stuff (with picture) can be found at:
ftp://ftp.lancom.de/AirLancer/AirLancer-11/AirLancer-MC-11
this seems to be Free Software under GNU GPLv2 even.

We could not get it to work with 2.6 and searching the web gave us only
reports that it does not work with kernel 2.6.x.
See http://questier.com/howto.html#Proxim
(the "local copy" links might haver newer source code)

I've grepped the kernel sources (2.6.24) to try to find the id in a driver
or the source code comment "Agere" to see if source code was taken in from
the 2.4. driver. To no prevail.
Even pages like
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11b.html
do not help me.

So I cannot really say: is there a driver which should work with this card in
Linux 2.6.x and just missed the manufacturer id to recognise it?
Where did the old Free Software code go? Was it never ported to 2.6?

Thanks,
Bernhard
[Please CC me on relevant replies.]

--
Managing Director - Owner: http://www.intevation.net (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: http://www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.

(No filename) (1.89 kB)
signature.asc (197.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part.

by Bernhard Reiter

Subject: Re: 802.11 pccard, Agere 0x0156,0x0003?

Am Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2008 11:19:45 schrieb Holger Schurig:
> You can no longer download it, the website has vanished. I
> actually got the filename wrong, the file used to be at
>
> ? ?http://www.agere.com/support/drivers/wl_lkm_718_release.tar.gz

Sure you can (as I pointed out in my first email, though only implicitely.):

| See http://questier.com/howto.html#Proxim
| (the "local copy" links might haver newer source code)

The URL found on the page above is
http://questier.com/wl_lkm_722_abg.tar.gz

--
Managing Director - Owner: http://www.intevation.net (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: http://www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Osnabr?ck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr?ck, HRB 18998
Gesch?ftsf?hrer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Attachments:
(No filename) (802.00 B)
smime.p7s (1.53 kB)

by Kalle Valo

"Johannes Berg" <[email protected]> writes:

>> > Both versions can be found at <http://www.xs4all.nl/~pptp/agere>, which
>> > also has patched versions for 2.6
>>
>> Cool!
>> Just to make sure: This is a driver that - despite being unmaintained - should
>> work? So could try it with 2.6.17, 2.6.24 and even newer?
>
> Just FYI, there are patches in the queue that will most likely make all
> (out-of-tree) drivers using wireless extensions break, so even if it
> works now it will probably not with 2.6.27.

What is breaking out-of-tree drivers in 2.6.27? David Miller's compat
WEXT stuff, or what?

Sorry, but it seems that I completely missed this. I should read
mailing lists more carefully.

--
Kalle Valo

2008-06-18 15:31:42

by Gábor Stefanik

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Bernhard Reiter <[email protected]=
e> wrote:
> [Greg gave me the hint to ask here. Please CC me on relevant replies.=
No need
> to further include him, unless this should go up on the "DriverNeeded=
" page
> later I presume.]
>
> Sitting here a pc card wireless land adapter.
> id 0x0156, 0x0003, which probably makes it an Agere card.
> cardctl info says:
> "Wireless PC Card Model 0110"
>
> We bought it quite a while ago under the tradename Lancom Airlancer M=
C-11
> from Lancom Systems.
> http://www.lancom-systems.de/AirLancer-MC-11b.117.0.html
>
> Background: We bought it because we thought it has a supported chipse=
t based
> on the old orinocco driver. The vendor announces "linux" supported, b=
ut this
> turned out to be only a driver for Linux 2.4.x.
> Some old stuff (with picture) can be found at:
> ftp://ftp.lancom.de/AirLancer/AirLancer-11/AirLancer-MC-11
> this seems to be Free Software under GNU GPLv2 even.
>
> We could not get it to work with 2.6 and searching the web gave us on=
ly
> reports that it does not work with kernel 2.6.x.
> See http://questier.com/howto.html#Proxim
> (the "local copy" links might haver newer source code)
>
> I've grepped the kernel sources (2.6.24) to try to find the id in a d=
river
> or the source code comment "Agere" to see if source code was taken in=
from
> the 2.4. driver. To no prevail.
> Even pages like
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.d=
rivers.802.11b.html
> do not help me.
>
> So I cannot really say: is there a driver which should work with this=
card in
> Linux 2.6.x and just missed the manufacturer id to recognise it?
> Where did the old Free Software code go? Was it never ported to 2.6?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernhard
> [Please CC me on relevant replies.]
>
> --
> Managing Director - Owner: http://www.intevation.net (Free Software Co=
mpany)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium=
=2Ecom.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabr=FCck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr=FCck, HRB 18998
> Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver W=
agner

This appears to be a Wavelan 2 / Orinoco card. Maybe try adding your
device IDs to the Orinoco driver.

--=20
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2008-06-19 17:43:56

by Dave Kilroy

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Ah, I never found that one. Also because the match that this indeed
> is a HermesII card could never be made for sure by myself
> and because that page is only about Hermes I.
>
> So this is the first indication that the wlags_h2_718 might work
> for the Hermes II card. Where can I download it without registration?
> Why wasn't the 7.22 version used as base for the patch?

The 7.18 Agere driver supports both Hermes I and Hermes II based cards. The 7.22 driver removed support for Hermes I, hence people have concentrated on the 7.18 version.

Both versions can be found at <http://www.xs4all.nl/~pptp/agere>, which also has patched versions for 2.6

Dave.

2008-06-19 08:23:33

by Bernhard Reiter

<[email protected]> wrote:

> > > This appears to be a Wavelan 2 / Orinoco card. Maybe try adding y=
our
> > > device IDs to the Orinoco driver.
> >
> > According to
> > <http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers-for-Puppy-1/lucent-agere_RE=
ADME>,
> > this is a Hermes II based card, which is not supported by the orino=
co
> > driver.

So far I had gathered already from the pages linked in my last post.
Nevertheless I gave it a shot on a 2.6.17 I had easily available and en=
ded up=20
with a message saying that the firmware is incompatible.

Am Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2008 08:55:30 Holger Schurig wrote:
> You mean I can convert the sta_h2.h file from the above link to
> some binary file and let orinoco+Dave's patches load that
> firmware to the card?
>
> I'm asking this because I also have a bunch of Hermes I and
> Hermes II cards, which don't work with the Orinoco driver, but
> with the "brought somewhat up to kernel 2.6" wlags_h2_718.tgz
> driver from the above link. That driver works, but hurts the
> eyes, and now has some problems with 2.6.25, e.g. at unloading
> time.

So this is the first indication that the wlags_h2_718 might work
for the Hermes II card. Where can I download it without registration?
Why wasn't the 7.22 version used as base for the patch?

Best,
Bernhard
[cc my on relevent replies]
--=20
Managing Director - Owner: http://www.intevation.net (Free Software Comp=
any)
Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: http://www.Kolab-Konsortium.c=
om.
Intevation GmbH, Osnabr=FCck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr=FCck, HRB 18998
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wag=
ner

2008-06-19 06:55:37

by Holger Schurig

> > There is a more recent version of the Agere driver
> > available, which has been patched for 2.6 kernels. See
> > <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304217>
>
> It's really a low hanging fruit. The big thing that was
> missing was firmware download for Agere, but Dave implemented
> that.

You mean I can convert the sta_h2.h file from the above link to
some binary file and let orinoco+Dave's patches load that
firmware to the card?

I'm asking this because I also have a bunch of Hermes I and
Hermes II cards, which don't work with the Orinoco driver, but
with the "brought somewhat up to kernel 2.6" wlags_h2_718.tgz
driver from the above link. That driver works, but hurts the
eyes, and now has some problems with 2.6.25, e.g. at unloading
time.

2008-06-20 07:38:37

by Johannes Berg

> > Both versions can be found at <http://www.xs4all.nl/~pptp/agere>, which
> > also has patched versions for 2.6
>
> Cool!
> Just to make sure: This is a driver that - despite being unmaintained - should
> work? So could try it with 2.6.17, 2.6.24 and even newer?

Just FYI, there are patches in the queue that will most likely make all
(out-of-tree) drivers using wireless extensions break, so even if it
works now it will probably not with 2.6.27.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (836.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2008-06-18 22:30:08

by Dave Kilroy

Stefanik G=E1bor wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation=
=2Ede> wrote:
>> Sitting here a pc card wireless land adapter.
>> id 0x0156, 0x0003, which probably makes it an Agere card.
>> cardctl info says:
>> "Wireless PC Card Model 0110"

> This appears to be a Wavelan 2 / Orinoco card. Maybe try adding your
> device IDs to the Orinoco driver.

According to <http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers-for-Puppy-1/lucent=
-agere_README>, this is a Hermes II based card, which is not supported =
by the orinoco driver.

There is a more recent version of the Agere driver available, which has=
been patched for 2.6 kernels. See <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.=
php?t=3D304217>
=20

Regards,

Dave.

2008-06-19 13:54:36

by Holger Schurig

> http://questier.com/wl_lkm_722_abg.tar.gz

Yeah, and the 7.22 version didn't work for me (it didn't even=20
associate without a WEP key). But 7.18 worked for me "good=20
enought", so I did not feel too much incentive to dig around in=20
this pile of Kot, =E4h, code.

2008-06-19 00:03:21

by Pavel Roskin

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 23:04 +0100, Dave wrote:
>=20
> Stefanik G=E1bor wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevati=
on.de> wrote:
> >> Sitting here a pc card wireless land adapter.
> >> id 0x0156, 0x0003, which probably makes it an Agere card.
> >> cardctl info says:
> >> "Wireless PC Card Model 0110"
>=20
> > This appears to be a Wavelan 2 / Orinoco card. Maybe try adding you=
> > device IDs to the Orinoco driver.
>=20
> According to <http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers-for-Puppy-1/luce=
nt-agere_README>, this is a Hermes II based card, which is not supporte=
d by the orinoco driver.
>=20
> There is a more recent version of the Agere driver available, which h=
as been patched for 2.6 kernels. See <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthrea=
d.php?t=3D304217>

It's really a low hanging fruit. The big thing that was missing was
firmware download for Agere, but Dave implemented that. The remaining
work is mostly integration of the pieces together, adding the ID,
allowing initialization without firmware loaded, loading the right
firmware for the card.

I feel bad that I'm too busy with other things to pay enough attention
to older drivers, but we have linux-wireless list now, so I don't need
to be a bottleneck. Volunteers are welcome.

--=20
Regards,
Pavel Roskin

2008-06-23 17:05:07

by Kalle Valo

Dan Williams <[email protected]> writes:

>> > Just FYI, there are patches in the queue that will most likely make all
>> > (out-of-tree) drivers using wireless extensions break, so even if it
>> > works now it will probably not with 2.6.27.
>>
>> What is breaking out-of-tree drivers in 2.6.27? David Miller's compat
>> WEXT stuff, or what?
>
> Yes.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be prepared now.

--
Kalle Valo

2008-06-20 07:35:47

by Bernhard Reiter

Dave,

Am Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2008 19:40:16 schrieb Dave:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Ah, I never found that one. Also because the match that this indeed
> > is a HermesII card could never be made for sure by myself
> > and because that page is only about Hermes I.
> >
> > So this is the first indication that the wlags_h2_718 might work
> > for the Hermes II card. Where can I download it without registratio=
n?
> > Why wasn't the 7.22 version used as base for the patch?
>
> The 7.18 Agere driver supports both Hermes I and Hermes II based card=
s. The
> 7.22 driver removed support for Hermes I, hence people have concentra=
ted on
> the 7.18 version.

okay, this is understandable.

> Both versions can be found at <http://www.xs4all.nl/~pptp/agere>, whi=
ch
> also has patched versions for 2.6

Cool!
Just to make sure: This is a driver that - despite being unmaintained -=
should=20
work? So could try it with 2.6.17, 2.6.24 and even newer?

adTHANKSvance,
Bernhard
[List, please cc me on relevant replies.]

--=20
Managing Director - Owner: http://www.intevation.net (Free Software Comp=
any)
Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: http://www.Kolab-Konsortium.c=
om.
Intevation GmbH, Osnabr=FCck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr=FCck, HRB 18998
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wag=
ner

2008-06-23 16:54:31

by Dan Williams

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 19:12 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:

> >> Cool!
> >> Just to make sure: This is a driver that - despite being unmaintained - should
> >> work? So could try it with 2.6.17, 2.6.24 and even newer?
> >
> > Just FYI, there are patches in the queue that will most likely make all
> > (out-of-tree) drivers using wireless extensions break, so even if it
> > works now it will probably not with 2.6.27.
>
> What is breaking out-of-tree drivers in 2.6.27? David Miller's compat
> WEXT stuff, or what?

Yes.

Dan

2008-06-19 17:27:29

by Dave Kilroy

Holger Schurig wrote:
>>> There is a more recent version of the Agere driver
>>> available, which has been patched for 2.6 kernels. See
>>> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304217>
>> It's really a low hanging fruit. The big thing that was
>> missing was firmware download for Agere, but Dave implemented
>> that.
>
> You mean I can convert the sta_h2.h file from the above link to
> some binary file and let orinoco+Dave's patches load that
> firmware to the card?
>
> I'm asking this because I also have a bunch of Hermes I and
> Hermes II cards, which don't work with the Orinoco driver, but
> with the "brought somewhat up to kernel 2.6" wlags_h2_718.tgz
> driver from the above link. That driver works, but hurts the
> eyes, and now has some problems with 2.6.25, e.g. at unloading
> time.

The firmware download patches were written to work with Hermes I cards (to get the WPA capable firmware). IIRC, the Hermes II firmware download process is slightly different, so there'd need to be some tweaks before you could download to Hermes II cards.

Dave.

2008-06-19 09:19:57

by Holger Schurig

> So this is the first indication that the wlags_h2_718 might
> work for the Hermes II card. Where can I download it without
> registration? Why wasn't the 7.22 version used as base for the
> patch?

You can no longer download it, the website has vanished. I
actually got the filename wrong, the file used to be at

http://www.agere.com/support/drivers/wl_lkm_718_release.tar.gz

I got the 7.18 driver working with both Hermes I and Hermes II
cards on 2.4 and 2.6.15 an a PXA255 based embedded device. There
both H1- and H2-drivers supported WEP+WPA (not WPA2).

I never had success with 7.22 on my embedded device.

For 2.6.25, I only have Hermes II running somewhat, the source
for this was the Ubuntu-Forum. This one is based on the
wl_lkm_718_release.tar.gz code, not on 7.22. You can download it
there only with registration, AFAIK. Did I mention that I don't
really like forums?

Some of my ancient patches are here:

http://git.openembedded.net/?p=org.openembedded.dev.git;a=tree;f=packages/wlags-modules

(the .bb include the .inc file, which contains the sequence of
the patches to be applied as well as the #define's to use. In
the files/ directory are the patches).