2022-12-12 11:33:55

by Charles Piekarski

Subject: Realtek 8852BE support

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to kindly ask for information if Realtek 8852BE Wi-Fi 6
module is supported or will be supported by the Linux kernel.
Regrettably, the module does not work under Ubuntu 22.04.1 and 22.10, at
least out of the box, and I was unable to find any useful information to
get it working in a safe way (with Secure Boot enabled).

Kind regards,
Charles Piekarski

--

This email (including any attachments) is private, confidential and may
contain privileged material. If you have received this email in error,

2022-12-14 00:48:26

by Ping-Ke Shih

> I would like to kindly ask for information if Realtek 8852BE Wi-Fi 6
> module is supported or will be supported by the Linux kernel.
> Regrettably, the module does not work under Ubuntu 22.04.1 and 22.10, at
> least out of the box, and I was unable to find any useful information to
> get it working in a safe way (with Secure Boot enabled).

8852BE got merged into kernel 6.2 that will release about 3 months later.

Ping-Ke

2022-12-14 08:08:29

by Kalle Valo

Ping-Ke Shih <[email protected]> writes:

> [...]

Related to this, we have a crystal ball service which tries to predict
merge window and release schedules:

https://phb-crystal-ball.sipsolutions.net/

I should add a link to that in our wiki, I don't think it's mentioned
anywhere.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

2022-12-14 17:16:05

by Larry Finger

On 12/13/22 18:47, Ping-Ke Shih wrote:

> [...]

Charles,

You can get that driver by doing a 'git clone
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89.git' and building it following the
instructions in file README.md from that repo. If you are using Ubuntu, pay
particular attention to the last paragraph as the distro has not included the
firmware for RTW8852BE, even though that firmware has been in the official
linux-firmware repo since October.

Larry

2022-12-14 17:18:15

by Sedat Dilek

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 9:00 AM Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ping-Ke Shih <[email protected]> writes:

Huh, a crystal-ball for the future... the past and the present and
from JoHill :-).

-Sedat-