2023-06-13 08:22:27

by Petter Mabacker

Subject: Linux mainline support for RTL8811AU/RTL8821AU

Hi,

I'm investigating a wifi dongle (LM808) that is based on the RTL8811AU chipset.

$ lsusb
..
Bus 003 Device 066: ID 0bda:a811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8811AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter
..

I cannot find any driver support in mainline for that chipset (8811cu/8821cu, seems to exists). Just curious if anyone knows if there are any ongoing efforts to get this driver included in mainline?

I can see that both:

https://www.lm-technologies.com/product/wifi-usb-adapter-433mbps-lm808/?template=driver

and

https://github.com/morrownr/8821au-20210708

exists for non-mainline support, so will play a bit with them. But for maintenance etc I'm interested to learn about possible mainline efforts within this area.

BR Petter

2023-06-13 18:32:19

by Larry Finger

On 6/13/23 03:09, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm investigating a wifi dongle (LM808) that is based on the RTL8811AU chipset.
>
> $ lsusb
> ..
> Bus 003 Device 066: ID 0bda:a811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8811AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter
> ..
>
> I cannot find any driver support in mainline for that chipset (8811cu/8821cu, seems to exists). Just curious if anyone knows if there are any ongoing efforts to get this driver included in mainline?
>
> I can see that both:
>
> https://www.lm-technologies.com/product/wifi-usb-adapter-433mbps-lm808/?template=driver
>
> and
>
> https://github.com/morrownr/8821au-20210708
>
> exists for non-mainline support, so will play a bit with them. But for maintenance etc I'm interested to learn about possible mainline efforts within this area.

It seems that the RTW8821AE has never been built or released. If it had been,
then extending that driver to the 8821AU would be easy as there would be a file
rtw8821a.c that contained all the details of that chip. Without that, there is
little that anyone outside Realtek can do. The vendor driver, which is the one
in the link you posted, will likely work.

Larry

2023-06-14 07:22:32

by Ping-Ke Shih

rtlwifi can support RTL8821AE/RTL8812AE and basic USB infrastructure, so it looks
like possible to support 8821AU by rtlwifi.

Ping-Ke

2023-06-23 06:52:53

by Petter Mabacker

So since no rtw8821a.c is available, like Larry pointed out in another response. Then it sounds like investigating
rtlwifi is the best way forward then. Do you mean that it should be possible to get the 8821AU up-and-running just by
making use of the info in ./drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtlwifi/rtl8821ae then? Are there any plans to release a rtl8821au fw through linux-firmware, since
I guess that will be needed also.

Thanks,
Petter

2023-06-26 01:54:41

by Ping-Ke Shih

Yes, rtlwifi/rtl8821ae + rtlwifi/usb.c should be possible to get 8821AU work, and
the firmware is the same as 8821AE.

Ping-Ke