2009-09-02 20:53:33

by Natanael Copa

Subject: building compat-wireless for other than running kernels

Hi,
I'm trying to create a compat-wireless package for Alpine Linux. I get
errors like this:
FATAL: Could not load
/lib/modules/2.6.29.4-vs2.3.0.36.14-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or
directory
This comes from the fact that the package is not for the current running kernel.

It would be nice if modprobe and depmod could respect the KLIB
variable in makefile. (I have not figured out how to do that for
modprobe -l)

Alternatively you could define a DEPMOD=/sbin/depmod in the Makefile
so its possible to override it with: make DEPMOD=: ...

Thanks!

--
Natanael Copa

2009-09-02 22:00:27

by Natanael Copa

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Natanael Copa<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to create a compat-wireless package for Alpine Linux. I get
>> errors like this:
>> FATAL: Could not load
>> /lib/modules/2.6.29.4-vs2.3.0.36.14-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or
>> directory
>> This comes from the fact that the package is not for the current running kernel.
>> Alternatively you could define a DEPMOD=/sbin/depmod in the Makefile
>> so its possible to override it with: make DEPMOD=: ...
>
> Patches are welcomed. I considered just now added the depmod stuff you
> mentioned but remembered that there are also scripts which may use
> this on compat-wireless. We could just export it though and then all
> the scripts would have access to it -- but note that it means then
> that you'd need the Makefile to run certain scripts -- and if you
> don't you have to define your own depmod. Because of this I welcome
> your patches on this if you test it.

That explains why I saw the error message even with my patch. For my
use the scripts are not critical as they don't exit with error and
make just continues. I do have an idea how to fix that too though.

I also have some simple fix to split the install so you can easily
have multiple binary packages for different kernel flavors but still
share the userspace scripts.

Thanks!

--
Natanael Copa

2009-09-02 21:25:29

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Natanael Copa<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to create a compat-wireless package for Alpine Linux. I get
> errors like this:
> FATAL: Could not load
> /lib/modules/2.6.29.4-vs2.3.0.36.14-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or
> directory
> This comes from the fact that the package is not for the current running kernel.
>
> It would be nice if modprobe and depmod could respect the KLIB
> variable in makefile. (I have not figured out how to do that for
> modprobe -l)
>
> Alternatively you could define a DEPMOD=/sbin/depmod in the Makefile
> so its possible to override it with: make DEPMOD=: ...

Patches are welcomed. I considered just now added the depmod stuff you
mentioned but remembered that there are also scripts which may use
this on compat-wireless. We could just export it though and then all
the scripts would have access to it -- but note that it means then
that you'd need the Makefile to run certain scripts -- and if you
don't you have to define your own depmod. Because of this I welcome
your patches on this if you test it.

Luis