2011-01-18 19:12:02

by JD

Subject: Does linux wireless support TL-WN861N

TP-Link TL-WN861N
see
http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?class=&content=spe&pmodel=TL-WN861N

2011-01-18 19:41:20

by JD

Subject: Re: Does linux wireless support TL-WN861N

On 01/18/2011 11:23 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> 2011/1/18 JD<[email protected]>:
>> TP-Link TL-WN861N
>> see
>> http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?class=&content=spe&pmodel=TL-WN861N
> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=25431
> http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN861N_v2
>
> Both sources tell about AR9223 chipset, but I is not mentioned on
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
>
> Maybe someone from ath9k ML knows it? Or try to Google it.

Thanx Rafal.
I did find it listed on

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/products/external?highlight=%28TL-WN861N%29

However, I also found out that it has very very poor Rx sensitivity
(only -68 dBm) at 11g,
and much much less at 11N. My location relative to AP is very bad. I
need a card supported
by ath9k and with Rx sensitivity that can go all the way to -97dBm.

Cheers,

JD

2011-01-18 19:23:59

by Rafał Miłecki

by Brian Prodoehl

2011/1/18 JD <[email protected]>:
> On 01/18/2011 11:23 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>
>> 2011/1/18 JD<[email protected]>:
>>>
>>> TP-Link TL-WN861N
>>> see
>>>
>>> http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?class=&content=spe&pmodel=TL-WN861N
>>
>> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=25431
>> http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN861N_v2
>>
>> Both sources tell about AR9223 chipset, but I is not mentioned on
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
>>
>> Maybe someone from ath9k ML knows it? Or try to Google it.
>>
> Thanx Rafal.
> I did find it listed on
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/products/external?highlight=%28TL-WN861N%29
>
> However, I also found out that it has very very poor Rx sensitivity (only
> -68 dBm) at 11g,
> and much much less at 11N. My location relative to AP is very bad. I need a
> card supported
> by ath9k and with Rx sensitivity that can go all the way to -97dBm.
>
> Cheers,
>
> JD

That sensitivity number is the sensitivity at the 54Mbps bitrate. If
you're comparing product briefs or datasheets, make sure you're
comparing numbers for the same bitrate. That card can receive 1Mbps
down to -90dBm, and 6Mbps down to -88dBm. You'll find cards with
sensitivity 6 or 7dB better, but that's about it.

-Brian