2010-08-12 16:06:56

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: Hi,Linus Torvalds. There's a problem in r8192u driver in Linux new kernel.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Gauss Frank <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm using Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> In Ubuntu, I compiled Linux 2.6.35-1,which contains RealTek 8192U Wireless
> Driver. I'd installed firmware for r8192u, and I tried to connect to
> wireless.
>
> However, whenever I connect to a wireless-network, The Linux System freezes.
> And the computer can keep only a few time and it must freezes without
> connecting to a wireless network.
>
> I'm using Debian Lenny with an old version of Linux Kernel,2.6.26-2. I
> downloaded the old driver(2008) in http://www.d-link.com, and compiled, which can't
> be compiled in new Linux Kernel because of some struct or union redefined.
> and it runs well.
>
> So I make sure that the problem is from Linux Kernel or The Driver.

Please don't send reports like this to me privately, there's no point.
I won't be able to fix individual drivers that I don't know. Make a
public report, and try to figure out who is in charge of that driver.

I've added the most active rtl8192 authors/people to the Cc, along
with linux-wireless. Hopefully that includes somebody who can help.

Linus

2010-08-12 16:20:18

by Greg KH

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:06:07AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Gauss Frank <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm using Debian and Ubuntu.
> >
> > In Ubuntu, I compiled Linux 2.6.35-1,which contains RealTek 8192U Wireless
> > Driver. I'd installed firmware for r8192u, and I tried to connect to
> > wireless.

Can you try a kernel.org kernel release, and not a Ubuntu kernel? If
not, you're going to have to report this to the Ubuntu developers, not
much we can do here.

If so, can you see if the in-kernel version of the driver has ever
worked for your system? Try an older release, like 2.6.34 or 2.6.32 and
see if that works.

thanks,

greg k-h

2010-08-12 16:36:29

by Larry Finger

Gauss,

What is the USB ID for your device. The reason I'm asking is that Florian and I
have been working on porting a new vendor driver for the 8192u devices. The plan
is to submit this to staging. At the moment, it has been tested with big- and
little-endian, and 32- and 64-bit systems. Everything is working except for
suspend and resume.

If your device is one of those that Realtek says works with this driver, and you
are willing to build a kernel from scratch, I will send you the URL for a git
tree containing it. That will have to be done privately as I'm still waiting for
Realtek to approve the copyright statements in the code. It is GPL'ed, so I do
not expect any difficulties, but their lawyers have to sign off.

Larry

2010-09-18 04:58:01

by Paul Thomas

> If your device is one of those that Realtek says works with this driver, and you
> are willing to build a kernel from scratch, I will send you the URL for a git
> tree containing it. That will have to be done privately as I'm still waiting for
> Realtek to approve the copyright statements in the code. It is GPL'ed, so I do
> not expect any difficulties, but their lawyers have to sign off.
>
> Larry

Larry,

I'd be interested in trying your driver version. I don't think it's in
the main tree yet because the change I see for the rtl8192su is on
2010-08-11, but there is a bunch of stuff from Florian from July.

I'm trying to get the rtl8188su chip to work, and more specifically to
get it to work without depending on PCI on arm.

thanks,
Paul