2010-05-24 21:16:49

by David H. Lynch Jr.

Subject: CARL9170 features

I am trying to kick carl9170 1.0.9 into either add-hoc or monitor
mode or anything else where I can xmit to any wireless device. I do not
care if the receiving device is interested - so long as the radio ACK's
the packet, which it should do automatically.

I tried iwconfig wl_ath mode ad-hoc
And I get and errror:

root# iwconfig wl_ath mode ad-hoc
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wl_ath ; Device or resource busy.

root# iwconfig wl_ath mode monitor
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wl_ath ; Device or resource busy.

root# iwconfig wl_ath mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wl_ath ; Invalid argument.

I can add something to the driver if needed if you coul recomend another
wireless driver for a reference.

--
Dave Lynch DLA Systems
Software Development: Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein

2010-05-24 21:40:14

by Christian Lamparter

Subject: Re: CARL9170 features

On Monday 24 May 2010 23:16:48 David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
> I am trying to kick carl9170 1.0.9 into either add-hoc or monitor
> mode or anything else where I can xmit to any wireless device. I do not
> care if the receiving device is interested - so long as the radio ACK's
> the packet, which it should do automatically.

iwconfig and all other wext-based wireless-tools are obsolete.

The new CLI "iw" can be found on:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw

> I tried iwconfig wl_ath mode ad-hoc
> And I get and errror:
>
> root# iwconfig wl_ath mode ad-hoc
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wl_ath ; Device or resource busy.

This is expected. The wl_ath interface must be *down* before
you can chance the operation mode of the master interface.

try: (of course, after calling: ifconfig wl_ath down)
iw dev wlanX ibss join <SSID> freq/channel <MHz/Chan No.>
> root# iwconfig wl_ath mode monitor
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wl_ath ; Device or resource busy.
iw dev wlanX set monitor [otherbss control ...]

> root# iwconfig wl_ath mode master
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wl_ath ; Invalid argument.
Master/Accesspoint mode is no longer fully implemented into the
kernel and therefore needs a userspace daemon: hostapd.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd
> I can add something to the driver if needed if you could recommend
> another wireless driver for a reference.

Well, we could add a beacon scheduler. This way we might be able
to support more than just one AP/IBSS interface. But this is
really complicated as the whole CAB implementation needs to be
extended to support multiple (concurrent) AP/IBSS links.
(And of course, there's the problem of the shared TSF in such a
configuration, so this might not be feasible after all...)

Regards,
Chr

2010-05-24 21:31:53

by Gábor Stefanik

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM, David H. Lynch Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> ? ?I am trying to kick carl9170 1.0.9 into either add-hoc or monitor mode or
> anything else where I can xmit to any wireless device. I do not care if the
> receiving device is interested - so long as the radio ACK's the packet,
> which it should do automatically.
>
> ? ?I tried iwconfig wl_ath mode ad-hoc
> ? ?And I get and errror:
>
> root# iwconfig wl_ath mode ad-hoc
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> ? ?SET failed on device wl_ath ; Device or resource busy.
>
> root# iwconfig wl_ath mode monitor
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> ? ?SET failed on device wl_ath ; Device or resource busy.
>
> root# iwconfig wl_ath mode master
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> ? ?SET failed on device wl_ath ; Invalid argument.
>
> I can add something to the driver if needed if you coul recomend another
> wireless driver for a reference.

In mac80211, you can only change interface modes if the interface is
down. However, the best practice is usually to create a new interface
using iw:
iw dev wl_ath interface add mon_ath type monitor
(not sure if this syntax still works; it worked a while ago).

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)