2010-11-30 22:06:46

by Heyendal, Carl

Subject: wireless in linux

I'm a somewhat of a newbie to Linux. So far I have been impressed with the information that I have been able to readily find to get things done in Linux amongst all the reference books, on-line tutorials, and various Linux communities. However wireless in Linux has been a different story.

A few weeks ago I was asked to provide wireless functionality for an embedded system. A simple USB wireless adapter to connect to an access point was all. I thought it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. However adding wireless capability has truly been a formidable challenge. I'm still not there yet. I'm staring right now at the latest wpa_supplicant readme with all the choices that I need to make. I'll be lucky if it works. It's really been a piece-meal effort so far.

The only information I can find is very limited to it's context and is geared to individuals who have intimate knowledge of Linux wireless. How does one get up to speed with wireless-linux with the apparent lack of good general information regarding what's needed in a wireless linux kernel?

Are there any reference books, tutorials, howto's, wireless enabled kernels...anything that someone can point me to that would help?

/carl

2010-11-30 22:16:39

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Re: wireless in linux

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Heyendal, Carl
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm a somewhat of a newbie to Linux. So far I have been impressed with the information that I have been able to readily find to get things done in Linux amongst all the reference books, on-line tutorials, and various Linux communities. However wireless in Linux has been a different story.
>
> A few weeks ago I was asked to provide wireless functionality for an embedded system. A simple USB wireless adapter to connect to an access point was all. I thought it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. However adding wireless capability has truly been a formidable challenge. I'm still not there yet. I'm staring right now at the latest wpa_supplicant readme with all the choices that I need to make. I'll be lucky if it works. It's really been a piece-meal effort so far.
>
> The only information I can find is very limited to it's context and is geared to individuals who have intimate knowledge of Linux wireless. How does one get up to speed with wireless-linux with the apparent lack of good general information regarding what's needed in a wireless linux kernel?
>
> Are there any reference books, tutorials, howto's, wireless enabled kernels...anything that someone can point me to that would help?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Linux+wireless

Luis

2010-12-01 21:21:00

by Holger Schurig

> I'm staring right now at the latest wpa_supplicant readme with all the
> choices that I need to make. I'll be lucky if it works. It's really been
> a piece-meal effort so far.

This has nothing to do with being a newby. Newbies use distributions. Go and
install Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu, whatever. They compiled wpa_supplicant for
you.

Okay, I see that you work in the embedded space. Maybe I can point to to
bitbake and http://www.openembedded.org? Here there's a recipe that cross-compiles
wpa_supplicant for you. While OpenEmbedded itself isn't something for
newbies, using it takes away some of the decision-making ("Which config
option do I need?" from you.

But I wouldn't call any embedded work a work for a newbie ...

> Are there any reference books, tutorials, howto's, wireless enabled
> kernels...anything that someone can point me to that would help?

http://wireless.kernel.org

For wpa_supplicant questions, even when it comes to compiling, try the
hostap mailing list. This list covers both hostap and wpa_supplicant.

BTW, I agree that queries like "Linux wireless introduction" or "Linux
wireless HOWTO" will reveal lot's of outdated stuff.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de

2010-12-01 13:59:00

by Heyendal, Carl

Yes. Ha-ha. To bad there's nothing good out there for newbs.

2010-12-01 16:57:56

by Heyendal, Carl

This is more what I was complaining about.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22linux%20wireless%20for%20newbs%22

;-)

2010-11-30 23:07:18

by Larry Finger

On 11/30/2010 04:16 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Linux+wireless

Good one.

I have a separate question about compat-wireless. I need to backport to kernel
2.6.21. I have fixed most of the problems, but I'm stuck on the case where
something has been added to a struct since that kernel. I looked at all the
compat-XXX patches, but I don't see what has been done previously. Is that
written up somewhere, or is there a prescription?

Thanks,

Larry