2010-05-16 20:42:19

by Weedy

Subject: ath5k past 2.6.30 breaks monitor mode (and thus the aircrack suite)

Running airodump on ubuntus 2.6.30 kernel works as expected. The
2.6.32 kernel shipped in lucid never sees data packets.

I have narrowed it down to channel hopping. modprobing the driver and
starting mon0 on a fixed channel works as expected, but allowing
airodump to channel hop breaks the interface until the driver is
reset.

I wrote a script to download and build compat wireless starting from
2009-01-01 (granted everything fails until half way through october),
but every version that is successfully installed also show the same
bug.

Further instructions welcome.

2010-05-16 21:49:24

by Gábor Stefanik

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Weedy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Running airodump on ubuntus 2.6.30 kernel works as expected. The
> 2.6.32 kernel shipped in lucid never sees data packets.
>
> I have narrowed it down to channel hopping. modprobing the driver and
> starting mon0 on a fixed channel works as expected, but allowing
> airodump to channel hop breaks the interface until the driver is
> reset.
>
> I wrote a script to download and build compat wireless starting from
> 2009-01-01 (granted everything fails until half way through october),
> but every version that is successfully installed also show the same
> bug.
>
> Further instructions welcome.

Try checking out linux-2.6, and doing a bisect between 2.6.30 and 2.6.32.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2010-05-17 11:21:50

by Gábor Stefanik

2010/5/17 Weedy <[email protected]>:
> 2010/5/16 G?bor Stefanik <[email protected]>:
>> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Weedy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Running airodump on ubuntus 2.6.30 kernel works as expected. The
>>> 2.6.32 kernel shipped in lucid never sees data packets.
>>>
>>> I have narrowed it down to channel hopping. modprobing the driver and
>>> starting mon0 on a fixed channel works as expected, but allowing
>>> airodump to channel hop breaks the interface until the driver is
>>> reset.
>>>
>>> I wrote a script to download and build compat wireless starting from
>>> 2009-01-01 (granted everything fails until half way through october),
>>> but every version that is successfully installed also show the same
>>> bug.
>>>
>>> Further instructions welcome.
>>
>> Try checking out linux-2.6, and doing a bisect between 2.6.30 and 2.6.32.
>
> Do I have to check out the entire kernel? even with scripting my
> netbook would take forever to do this.

Yes, you need to check out the entire repo - but with git, you do not
need to re-download the whole tree everytime you check out a new
revision; it is a distributed system. git is not CVS. :-)

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2010-05-17 06:39:12

by Weedy