2011-03-23 23:49:14

by George Nychis

Subject: widely supported ZigBee USB hardware?

Hi all,

I am trying to find a widely supported (and available) ZigBee USB
device with Linux. I understand there are some GPL related issues with
ZigBee, but there seems to be a couple related drivers available. In
particular, this device:
http://www.adaptivem2m.com/zigbee-technology/zigbee-usb-dongle.htm

I could get this, but I wanted to get some general feedback first to
see if there is something different that is more well updated. It
seems like the last driver I could find for this was from 2007.

Has anyone had any personal experience with ZigBee and Linux and have
any advice?

Thanks!
George

2011-03-24 14:30:16

by John W. Linville

Subject: Re: widely supported ZigBee USB hardware?

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 07:49:13PM -0400, George Nychis wrote:

> I am trying to find a widely supported (and available) ZigBee USB
> device with Linux. I understand there are some GPL related issues with
> ZigBee, but there seems to be a couple related drivers available. In
> particular, this device:
> http://www.adaptivem2m.com/zigbee-technology/zigbee-usb-dongle.htm
>
> I could get this, but I wanted to get some general feedback first to
> see if there is something different that is more well updated. It
> seems like the last driver I could find for this was from 2007.
>
> Has anyone had any personal experience with ZigBee and Linux and have
> any advice?

I'm not sure anyone on this list has experience with ZigBee. I know
there is some ieee802.15.4 support in the kernel, but I'm not sure
where that is discussed (other than netdev). Hopefully someone on
the Cc list is aware?

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.