2011-03-19 16:18:09

by Sean Robinson

Subject: terminology questions

I am working on writing various components for user-space control of
nl80211 devices. I have had some difficulty understanding the
terminology that is taken for granted in source files for and
documentation about nl80211/cfg80211. So, in the interest of learning
the terms used I am volunteering to edit the glossary page
<http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/Glossary> on
the Linux wireless wiki, for at least a brief time (1-2 months). As I
learn a new definition for an appropriate term, I will add it the the
Glossary.

If you have encountered a word or phrase about the Linux wireless
system for which you need(ed) a definition. Please let me know and I
will add it to the list of terms to define.

Can anyone answer (or point me to more resources for) the following
questions that I can use to update the Glossary? What is a station?
How does a station relate to an AP? What are the delineations between
mac80211/cfg80211/nl80211?

Thank you for your help.

--
Sean Robinson
WiFi Radar - http://wifi-radar.berlios.de

2011-03-22 00:08:26

by Sean Robinson

Subject: Re: terminology questions

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sean Robinson <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> What is a station?
>
> You got an answer already. But in principle all devices supporting
> IEEE 802.11 are stations (or STAs) in the standard.
>
>> How does a station relate to an AP?
>
> AP is a station as are all clients.
>
>>  What are the delineations between mac80211/cfg80211/nl80211?
>
> mac80211 is an IEEE 802.11 stack for softmac devices.
>
> cfg80211 is a new (relatively speaking) component for managing
> configuration of IEEE 802.11 devices (used by both mac80211 and
> fullmac device drivers).
>
> nl80211 is a new (again relatively speaking) netlink based user space
> interface (protocol?) for managing IEEE 802.11 devices. cfg80211
> implements the kernel side of this interface. From user space at least
> wpasupplicant and iw use this interface, but in principle any
> application can use it.

Thank you, Kalle. I have updated the Glossary page with my
interpretation of your answers.

And, thank you, Daniel. I downloaded the IEEE doc. While the
definitions are useful, the chapter 5 overview of how everything is
related was really helpful.

And I repeat my intent to curate the Glossary for a while. So, if
anyone else has terms to add or that need a fuller explanation, please
let me know.

--
Sean Robinson
WiFi Radar - http://wifi-radar.berlios.de
Python WiFi - http://pythonwifi.wikispot.org
pymnl - http://pymnl.wikispot.org

2011-03-19 16:24:08

by Daniel Halperin

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Sean Robinson <[email protected]> wrote:
> ?I am working on writing various components for user-space control of
> nl80211 devices. ?I have had some difficulty understanding the
> terminology that is taken for granted in source files for and
> documentation about nl80211/cfg80211. ?So, in the interest of learning
> the terms used I am volunteering to edit the glossary page
> <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/Glossary> on
> the Linux wireless wiki, for at least a brief time (1-2 months). ?As I
> learn a new definition for an appropriate term, I will add it the the
> Glossary.
>
> ?If you have encountered a word or phrase about the Linux wireless
> system for which you need(ed) a definition. ?Please let me know and I
> will add it to the list of terms to define.
>
> ?Can anyone answer (or point me to more resources for) the following
> questions that I can use to update the Glossary? ?What is a station?
> How does a station relate to an AP? ?What are the delineations between
> mac80211/cfg80211/nl80211?

You might want to start with the IEEE 802.11-2007 standards document
(free for download at
http://standards.ieee.org/about/get/802/802.11.html). That has many
of the definitions you will want, e.g., station is defined as 3.136 in
their Definitions section.

Dan

2011-03-21 11:23:27

by Kalle Valo