2011-02-21 09:35:42

by Mathieu Malaterre

Subject: Realtek RTL8192SE support ? (aka r8192se_pci)

Dear all,

As far as I know driver for rtl8192su will be added to kernel
2.6.38. By any chance does anyone knows if rtl8192se will make it into
this release ?

Mathieu

ref:
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller
(rev 10) [10ec:8172]

2011-02-27 21:42:23

by Gábor Stefanik

Subject: Re: Realtek RTL8192SE support ? (aka r8192se_pci)

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 03:35 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> ? As far as I know driver for rtl8192su will be added to kernel
>> 2.6.38. By any chance does anyone knows if rtl8192se will make it into
>> this release ?
>
> As part of our collaborative effort, Realtek has sent me a mac80211-based
> driver for the RTL8192SE. It will be submitted to the wireless mailing list
> for review once the driver for the RTL8192CU is accepted. The earliest this
> would happen is 2.6.39, but I think 2.6.40 is more realistic. I also have a
> driver for the RTL8192DE that will follow the RTL8192SE.

Is there any reason why you are holding back release of these drivers?
You know, the general Linux practice is release-early-release-often...

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

2011-02-21 16:06:21

by Larry Finger

On 02/21/2011 03:35 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As far as I know driver for rtl8192su will be added to kernel
> 2.6.38. By any chance does anyone knows if rtl8192se will make it into
> this release ?

As part of our collaborative effort, Realtek has sent me a mac80211-based driver
for the RTL8192SE. It will be submitted to the wireless mailing list for review
once the driver for the RTL8192CU is accepted. The earliest this would happen is
2.6.39, but I think 2.6.40 is more realistic. I also have a driver for the
RTL8192DE that will follow the RTL8192SE.

The driver for the RTRL8192SU does not use mac80211 and is in 2.6.37. It is
known as r8712u.

Larry

2011-02-27 21:52:11

by Larry Finger

On 02/27/2011 03:42 PM, G?bor Stefanik wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Larry Finger<[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 02/21/2011 03:35 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> As far as I know driver for rtl8192su will be added to kernel
>>> 2.6.38. By any chance does anyone knows if rtl8192se will make it into
>>> this release ?
>>
>> As part of our collaborative effort, Realtek has sent me a mac80211-based
>> driver for the RTL8192SE. It will be submitted to the wireless mailing list
>> for review once the driver for the RTL8192CU is accepted. The earliest this
>> would happen is 2.6.39, but I think 2.6.40 is more realistic. I also have a
>> driver for the RTL8192DE that will follow the RTL8192SE.
>
> Is there any reason why you are holding back release of these drivers?
> You know, the general Linux practice is release-early-release-often...

I know. The main reason is that I have been criticized regarding the quality of
these drivers, and I want to get them in as good as shape as possible.

In addition, the rtl8192se driver that is merged with wireless-testing fails
when allocating PCI resources, and I have not had time to sort it out.

Larry

2011-02-21 16:43:46

by Larry Finger

On 02/21/2011 10:12 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Larry Finger<[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 02/21/2011 03:35 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> As far as I know driver for rtl8192su will be added to kernel
>>> 2.6.38. By any chance does anyone knows if rtl8192se will make it into
>>> this release ?
>>
>> As part of our collaborative effort, Realtek has sent me a mac80211-based
>> driver for the RTL8192SE. It will be submitted to the wireless mailing list
>> for review once the driver for the RTL8192CU is accepted. The earliest this
>> would happen is 2.6.39, but I think 2.6.40 is more realistic. I also have a
>> driver for the RTL8192DE that will follow the RTL8192SE.
>
> Dear Larry,
>
> Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.
> Would it be possible to be part of some kind of testing group for
> this 'new' driver. I have been using r8192se_pci (*) for a couple of
> days, but I have the feeling this driver keeps filling in my
> computer's memory. I have to reboot to clean the memory (I have not
> found any other way).
>
> Using linux 2.6.37 from debian unstable

It will take me a few days, but I should be able to send you patches to
incorporate the rtl8192se driver.

Larry

2011-02-21 16:21:06

by Mathieu Malaterre

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 03:35 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> ? As far as I know driver for rtl8192su will be added to kernel
>> 2.6.38. By any chance does anyone knows if rtl8192se will make it into
>> this release ?
>
> As part of our collaborative effort, Realtek has sent me a mac80211-based
> driver for the RTL8192SE. It will be submitted to the wireless mailing list
> for review once the driver for the RTL8192CU is accepted. The earliest this
> would happen is 2.6.39, but I think 2.6.40 is more realistic. I also have a
> driver for the RTL8192DE that will follow the RTL8192SE.

Dear Larry,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.
Would it be possible to be part of some kind of testing group for
this 'new' driver. I have been using r8192se_pci (*) for a couple of
days, but I have the feeling this driver keeps filling in my
computer's memory. I have to reboot to clean the memory (I have not
found any other way).

Using linux 2.6.37 from debian unstable

Thanks again for your time,
--
Mathieu
(*) http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=226

2011-02-27 21:37:19

by François Valenduc

Le 21/02/11 17:43, Larry Finger a ?crit :
> On 02/21/2011 10:12 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Larry
>> Finger<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> As part of our collaborative effort, Realtek has sent me a
>>> mac80211-based
>>> driver for the RTL8192SE. It will be submitted to the wireless
>>> mailing list
>>> for review once the driver for the RTL8192CU is accepted. The
>>> earliest this
>>> would happen is 2.6.39, but I think 2.6.40 is more realistic. I also
>>> have a
>>> driver for the RTL8192DE that will follow the RTL8192SE.
>>
>> Dear Larry,
>>
>> Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.
>> Would it be possible to be part of some kind of testing group for
>> this 'new' driver. I have been using r8192se_pci (*) for a couple of
>> days, but I have the feeling this driver keeps filling in my
>> computer's memory. I have to reboot to clean the memory (I have not
>> found any other way).
>>
>> Using linux 2.6.37 from debian unstable
>
> It will take me a few days, but I should be able to send you patches to
> incorporate the rtl8192se driver.
>
> Larry
> linux-wireless" in

I also volunteer to test this new driver. I often have problems with the
current driver provided by Realtek. It seems the connexion is quite
unstable and I often get kernel panic like this one:

rtl8192se_rx_normal+0x143/0x400
scheduler-tick+0xe1/0x2f0
tasklet-action+0xa8/0x60
_do_softirq+0xa5/0x130
ack_apic_level+0x6d/0x210
call_softirq+0x1c/0x30
do_softirq+0x4d/0x80
irq_exit+0x8d/0x90
do_irq+0x6b/0x0
ret_from_intr+0x0/0x
[<EOI>]

acpi_idle_enter_c1+0xad/0xc7 [processor]
ack-idle-enter-c1+0x8d/0xc7 [processor]
cpuidle-idle-call+0x8c/0xf0
cpu-idle+0x58/0xb
skb-put+0x88/0x90

kernel panic not syncing fatal exception in interrupt PID: 0, comm:
kworker/0;1 Tainted G D 2.6.36

call trace:
panic+0xa1/0x1a3
oops_end+0xaf/0xe0
do_invalid_op+0x84/0xa0
skb_put+0x88/0x90
invalid_op+0x15/0x20
skb_put+0x88/0x90

I already asked realtek support about this but I didn't get a lot of
help from them. So, I would be interested to see if the new driver you
talked about perfoms better.

Thanks in advance,

Fran?ois Valenduc

2011-02-27 22:07:49

by Gábor Stefanik

2011/2/27 Larry Finger <[email protected]>:
> On 02/27/2011 03:42 PM, G?bor Stefanik wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Larry Finger<[email protected]>
>> ?wrote:

>>> As part of our collaborative effort, Realtek has sent me a mac80211-based
>>> driver for the RTL8192SE. It will be submitted to the wireless mailing
>>> list
>>> for review once the driver for the RTL8192CU is accepted. The earliest
>>> this
>>> would happen is 2.6.39, but I think 2.6.40 is more realistic. I also have
>>> driver for the RTL8192DE that will follow the RTL8192SE.
>>
>> Is there any reason why you are holding back release of these drivers?
>> You know, the general Linux practice is release-early-release-often...
>
> I know. The main reason is that I have been criticized regarding the quality
> of these drivers, and I want to get them in as good as shape as possible.
>
> In addition, the rtl8192se driver that is merged with wireless-testing fails
> when allocating PCI resources, and I have not had time to sort it out.
>
> Larry

Even if it's broken, more people having access to it mean more people
capable of fixing it.
This is not unpublished government material either, which shall be
leaked slowly to maximize political impact ? la Wikileaks.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)