2011-03-05 17:11:20

by Francis Moreau

Subject: brcm80211: the system freezes if booted with laptop wifi switch to OFF

Hi,

I'm currently running 2.6.38-rc6, and if I boot with my WIFI switch
set to off position, the system freezes entirely when bringing up the
wlan0 interface.

There's no trace so I don't really know how I can help to debug this further.

Thanks
--
Francis

2011-03-09 09:03:55

by Arend van Spriel

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 18:11:20 +0100, Francis Moreau
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running 2.6.38-rc6, and if I boot with my WIFI switch
> set to off position, the system freezes entirely when bringing up the
> wlan0 interface.
>
> There's no trace so I don't really know how I can help to debug this
> further.
>
> Thanks

Hi Greg,

A while ago I submitted a patch for this issue and it was marked as new
functionality so only to be included in the staging-next branch. However,
as the system freezes without this patch it might be a good idea to submit
the patch for staging-linus branch as well to include it in linus tree. Do
you agree? If so I will prepare a backported version of the patch and send
it to you.

Gr. AvS
--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human

2011-03-07 22:27:26

by Francis Moreau

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 18:29:47 +0100, Francis Moreau <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know what the origin is of your kernel so please provide some
>>> details on that.
>>
>> What kind of information do you need ?
>>
>> As you probably noticed the kernel I'm running is 2.6.38-rc6.
>>

> Yup. However, that is not unique by itself. Did you get it from a git
> repository like linux-next maintained by Stephen Rothwell or linux-2.6
> maintained by Linus Torvalds, or did you download a kernel snapshot from
> ftp.kernel.org.

2.6.38-rc6 is a tag, so it uniquely identify the kernel release
whatever the tree you're using. But yes I'm using mainline tree.

>> Revelant part of lscpi:
>>
>> 12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
>> ? ? ? ?Subsystem: Dell Device 0010
>> ? ? ? ?Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>> ? ? ? ?Memory at fbb00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> ? ? ? ?Capabilities: <access denied>
>> ? ? ? ?Kernel driver in use: brcm80211
>> ? ? ? ?Kernel modules: brcm80211
>>

> Always useful to know what hardware you are using. Thanks.
>

>>> The patch itself can be found in the linuxdriver email
>>> archive:
>>>

>>> http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-January/011381.html
>>>

>> Do you want me to give it a try ?
>>

> I don't think it will apply cleanly, but sure go ahead.
>

>>> Not sure whether it applies to whatever you have. I just tried your
>>> scenario
>>> with my driver and hardware and no freezes during boot.
>>
>> My scenario is:
>>
>> ? - set the switch to OFF
>> ? - insmod the module
>> ? - bring up/configure the interface
>
> That's a bit different, but could you elaborate on the last step. Are you
> using iw, wpa_supplicant, etc. or relying on NetworkManager.

last step is (for example):

iw dev wlan0 scan

Thanks
--
Francis

2011-03-09 17:41:26

by Arend van Spriel

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:00:46 +0100, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sure, but I will wait and add it to the stable releases when it goes
> into Linus's tree. Sound ok?

fine by me. Will sent the patch later today.

Gr. AvS
--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human
mind to correlate all its contents." - "The Call of Cthulhu"

2011-03-09 18:02:42

by Francis Moreau

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:00:46 +0100, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sure, but I will wait and add it to the stable releases when it goes
>> into Linus's tree. ?Sound ok?
>
> fine by me. Will sent the patch later today.

please Cc me so I could give it a test.

--
Francis

2011-03-07 07:56:39

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running 2.6.38-rc6, and if I boot with my WIFI switch
> set to off position, the system freezes entirely when bringing up the
> wlan0 interface.

Hi Francis,

Some time ago we (broadcom) submitted a patch for rfkill functionality
(ie. wifi switch) to staging-2.6 repository. I looked up the tagged
version you are referring to in the linux-next repository and it seems
that the patch I mentioned is not included in there.

> There's no trace so I don't really know how I can help to debug this
> further.
>
> Thanks

Regards,
Arend van Spriel
--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human
mind to correlate all its contents." - "The Call of Cthulhu"

2011-03-07 13:54:40

by Arend van Spriel

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:33:07 +0100, Francis Moreau
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Would it be possible to submit it one more time ?

I don't know what the origin is of your kernel so please provide some
details on that. The patch itself can be found in the linuxdriver email
archive:

http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-January/011381.html

Not sure whether it applies to whatever you have. I just tried your
scenario with my driver and hardware and no freezes during boot.

> Thanks

Gr. AvS
--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human
mind to correlate all its contents." - "The Call of Cthulhu"

2011-03-07 17:29:48

by Francis Moreau

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't know what the origin is of your kernel so please provide some
> details on that.

What kind of information do you need ?

As you probably noticed the kernel I'm running is 2.6.38-rc6.

Revelant part of lscpi:

12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device 0010
Memory at fbb00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: brcm80211
Kernel modules: brcm80211

> The patch itself can be found in the linuxdriver email
> archive:
>
> http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-January/011381.html

Do you want me to give it a try ?

> Not sure whether it applies to whatever you have. I just tried your scenario
> with my driver and hardware and no freezes during boot.

My scenario is:

- set the switch to OFF
- insmod the module
- bring up/configure the interface

Thanks
--
Francis

2011-03-07 11:33:08

by Francis Moreau

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Arend van Spriel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Some time ago we (broadcom) submitted a patch for rfkill functionality (ie.
> wifi switch) to staging-2.6 repository. I looked up the tagged version you
> are referring to in the linux-next repository and it seems that the patch I
> mentioned is not included in there.

Would it be possible to submit it one more time ?

Thanks
--
Francis

2011-03-09 16:27:40

by Greg KH

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 10:03:41AM +0100, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 18:11:20 +0100, Francis Moreau
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm currently running 2.6.38-rc6, and if I boot with my WIFI switch
> >set to off position, the system freezes entirely when bringing up the
> >wlan0 interface.
> >
> >There's no trace so I don't really know how I can help to debug
> >this further.
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> A while ago I submitted a patch for this issue and it was marked as
> new functionality so only to be included in the staging-next branch.
> However, as the system freezes without this patch it might be a good
> idea to submit the patch for staging-linus branch as well to include
> it in linus tree. Do you agree? If so I will prepare a backported
> version of the patch and send it to you.

Sure, but I will wait and add it to the stable releases when it goes
into Linus's tree. Sound ok?

thanks,

greg k-h

2011-03-07 18:25:21